43 coaches online • Server time: 00:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2008 - 13:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok ppl, if you were in charge of FUMBBL how would you set up the divisions?

Here is what I would do:
Ranked:
-LRB races
-Staff run tourneys
-Coach Ranking for each race
-Awards
-Teams can be transfered to Unranked
-No Openplay, besides the tourneys a blackbox will be used.
The blackbox will work in the following way: If a coaches teams are in the blackbox for 5 mins the best matchup for that coach will be found from the teams available in the blackbox. For this matchup the blackbox takes TS, TR, recently played opponents, white/blacklist and racial factors into account. There will be limits for what is considered an acceptable matchup. (notice coach ranking is not a factor for finding suitable opponents)
After that the teams for the coach and the opponent (if the box has found a matchup) are removed from the box.

Unranked:
-No ranking
-Users can add their own racial rosters.
-Users can modify their teams in the following ways: change cash, change spp for a player, add/remove skill to a player, change skill for a player, add/remove a permanent injury on a player, revive/unretire a player, change FF, remove wizard/apo. The modifications will be logged for the team and can be viewed by all users.
-User run leagues, the league commisioner has an overview available with the modifications made to the teams in his league (so he can be sure all the teams comply to the restrictions he set).
-No restrictions on matchups

Why would I set it up like this?
I think with this set up there is a competitive staff run division with the needed restrictions for that. I like to have CR by race as a coach can be good with certain races and poor with others so 1 general CR doesn't really show that, and it would be nice to be able to see a top 10 coaches per race.
On the other hand the unranked division allows for as much flexibility as possible. You want to have the teams in your league start with 110TR and players to pick a skill after each game? It can be done. You want to run a league with your own designed space marines and tyranids? It can be done. You want to give a skill/FF/SPP as a price for winning your league? It can be done. You want to recreate the FUMBBL Cup finals teams and play them with your friend? It can be done.

So this is how I would do it.
Now the question is...how would you do it?
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2008 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej, in essence this is almost exactly as I would have it, our idea of implementation may differ slightly though.

Staff run division, player run division.

Nice post.

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

TheCetusProject

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2008 - 14:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I would have a League division where pretty much anything goes, an Unranked division which is effectively like Ranked is now but without the CR, and Blackbox division for rated blackbox games. Official site tournaments could operate in Blackbox or Unranked.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2008 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd have it like something like this.

Ranked

Ranked/Blackbox

League

Stunty

Academy

Intermediate (designed as a bridger between acad and ranked)

DEAD Defunct, Experimental and Dodgy lists.
Official lists, old lists, new to come lists and lists that should be (other chaos gods etc)

DEAD is what I would really love to see.
Sarganius

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2008 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej wrote:

-Users can modify their teams in the following ways: change cash, change spp for a player, add/remove skill to a player, change skill for a player, add/remove a permanent injury on a player, revive/unretire a player, change FF, remove wizard/apo. The modifications will be logged for the team and can be viewed by all users.

Thats actually a really cool idea... well most of it and i only correct myself because i would say that if this was going to include leagues and other options then the ability to tinker with teams would make it very difficult. A team could change from one style to another within one game and i'd suggest in a league/tourney/etc that would be really difficult to control. But the idea of a Division on FUMBBL called Playtesting or Test Division where you could make wholesale changes to your team would be a great learning experience for newer and long-term coaches. It might also attract coaches to the lesser used skills as coaches could try them out but not be stuck with the skill permanantly.

I'd be interested in it anyway.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2008 - 14:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty similar to the way you described.... but....

You need to bear in mind coding issues, its much more effort to add functionality than it is to take it away because any new features will need coding. Anyway, without further ado...

Ranked

This would be the realm of blackbox and majors, probably including a single capped major (GLT seems perfect for this). Playing in this division would be the only way to get a coach ranking, although obviously its not the only way you'd get respect.

Unranked (could also call it open)

This would look pretty similar to the current ranked league in that your regular games would be casually arranged via gamefinder, I'd also keep the 40TS rule to help keep things real. It would be pure LRB. This would then host a large number of the current official tournaments:
- Tours and minors, these would replace scheduled smacks. I'd replace the TR 150 minor with a TR 100 minor, maybe replacing the RRR at the same time. Actually it would be pretty cool if we kept the name RRR, maybe all the minors could have their own name (the Tour being the TR 150 one).
- Smacks and SFCs
- Faction, I'd dump the whole of faction into this division. Instead of having [FQ] teams would be able to apply for faction each round with some sort of qualifying system in place. This would give the division its top end play and give teams above TR 200 something to gun for. Sadly it might temporarily crush the dreams of the Daisycutters but hopefully it would make that gold medal so much more prestigous when they get it.
- Academy, currently academy dosent (appear to) have some sort of overlord. I'd change this and appoint someone, possibly Koadah, Colin, or Heinz. Their objective would be to appoint themselves a team of helpers and try to get a newbie channel functioning. I'd really advocate this person making the 145 club official (if koadah didnt mind) and integrating it into the recomended academy program. Hopefully keeping it in the same division will allow new coaches to test the water a little without having to remove their starting teams from academy.

League

This would be a completely open division with any team being allowed to play against any other team, I'd throw in all the stunty teams and possibly the pact ones as well. This would be the only division for player run tournaments.
Stunty would still need a stunty commisioner whos role would be to:
- sanction teams and roster changes
- promote stunty by making sure that there are sufficient stunty-only tournaments
- maybe run some sort of regular stunty championship

Transfers between divisions would be one way:
[R]anked -> [U]nranked -> [L]eague

I'd probably completely ditch the championship or use it as a method for qualifying for factions (though maybe with a tweak or two). Running it once every two weeks instead of once every month to fit with faction schedules should work. I'd also make it team dependant rather than coach dependant.

Some fairly major structure changes there but I think it all makes sense and is all relatively realistic (over a certain timeframe). I was especially pleased at how well faction and academy seemed to fit in, I never planned for them initially.

Edit: I'm not sure exactly what to do with the LRB5 division. I might chuck it into the League division, changing the names of all races to Amazon(LRB5), Chaos(LRB5) etc to help avoid confusion. This kind of tag might not be a bad thing to add to the stunty races either.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."

Last edited by SillySod on %b %12, %2008 - %15:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2008 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I can't be bothered to give this the time it really deserves but to add:

R - Competitive + tournies etc... as it is now.
A - Training wheel league, as is.
U - Non Competative casual play, make it fully LRB compliant if you like.
H - House Rule Leagues, anything goes, any race etc... Where League Runners/Admins can edit team memeber Rosters.
This allows for FF, Cash, Skills (Magical Items), Healing etc... to be applied to teams. This would be rather simple to implement from a Roster editing stand point, the structure is already in place from how I imagine Christer to have coded things, it would just need privileges for League admins to alter their Members rosters.

Maybe even disable aging.
People could set up and run some really great leagues like this, apply management elements, and have trophies that give teams benefits like those in the LRB, free wizard etc...

EDIT:: I'd love to give the Bounty Hunters in my Star Wars League a Bomb. Smile

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

vanGorn

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2008 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Ladder
The e-sports division. The coaches are arranged on a ladder. When two coache agree for a competition they play two matches in row, where the teams are reset and switched between the two fixtures. The teams might come either from a public pool or generated before the first match.
The coach ranking on the ladder is subject to decay.
Open
Quite the same as the current div R but without coach rating, or at least without enforced coach rating.
Official site tournaments like Majors and Minors are played there.
Community
Quite the same as curent League division. Community driven tournaments wich handle the rules between strict and laissez faire.
Stunty Leeg
Like the upcoming stunty leeg
Faction
Reach out for the gold.
Academy
A friendly place where newbies do the first steps. Probably teams should be transmittable to [O],[C] and [F].
Experimental
A place where all those experimantal rosters can be tested.

Mr_Fantastic

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2008 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej I think your ideas for divisions are spot-on. That'd be a lot of fun, to have that much user control over the U division. Would make running themed-leagues a lot more fun as well.

For instance, a rugby-themed league where you can only take lino's but they all get dump-off and no forward passing!
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2008 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

On the issue of merging stunty with a general league ... I can already forsee having to fend off loads and loads of LRB teams consistently trying to challenge my stunty teams. Which I am not interested in, would be annoying, and a waste of time. The big advantage of a seperate stunty league is that only those teams that I want to be challenged by will challenge me.

SeraphimRed wrote:
H - House Rule Leagues, anything goes, any race etc... Where League Runners/Admins can edit team memeber Rosters.

Yes. The nice thing of the current java client is that rule changes can be triggered through the web. And that it kept "old" and "experimental" rules that once were used in the code with an on/off switch. Just with that a huge variety of different gameplay rules (not just meta-site related ones) could be sent to the client when the game starts.

-Mnemon
Nemeton

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2008 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej wrote:

Unranked:
-No ranking
-Users can add their own racial rosters.
-User run leagues, the league commisioner has an overview available with the modifications made to the teams in his league (so he can be sure all the teams comply to the restrictions he set).
-No restrictions on matchups

I absolutly love this part - but in the bigger leagues having every player able to modify his team and rooster and all the other things will make it a big job for the league manager to control and check all things.

It would be easier to simply make the options available to founders and staffs in the groups so only they could do it.
Snowmelter

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2008 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it would be nice to do it like.... it is done!
Including the up coming merger of [u]+[l] and [s]+[l] that we are waiting for.

That would be nice Smile
SillySod

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2008 - 17:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Nemeton, you'll find that in big groups such as WIL and the SWL the system would work fine - remember that it only takes one person to spot the problem and report it to the league staff (and then person x is banned from the league, problem gone). I tend to check out my opponents teams in advance (to see if I need a star etc) and would immediately spot any unsolicited changes to the roster. I also tend to look at various other teams in the league just to see how they are going, cheaters will get spotted pretty quickly.

I like the idea of leagues being able to be locked leagues where no changes are possible though.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
PirateRob

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2008 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Yuck.
One of the great things about FUMBBL is actually the current ranked division. Sure there's the elfballing and cherry picking for majors, but there's also the ability to play a game that I think I will enjoy against another team that's following the same set of rules as I.

Your unranked has basically no rules at all and your ranked forces me to play a match that might not be fun.
No thanks.

There can be a time and place for those but why make them the only option?
SillySod

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2008 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

AxeMurder... simply form your own league and call it something like [O]pen. Then give it all the attributes of [R]:
- no fixed schedule
- no team modifications allowed
- no games with teams outside of the division
- maybe something like a no picking rule, maybe not

If there are enough people who are interested in playing that format then your league should thrive. If there arent enough people then a) I'm shocked and b) why should we stop a change that so many people want just to cater to so very few?

However... I think that the current [R] format would be popular enough to merit its own division.

Jump to: