71 coaches online • Server time: 22:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vanGorn

Post 9 Posted: Mar 19, 2006 - 12:03 Reply with quote Back to top

As the news say the ladder division will be shut down.
Crying or Very sad
I won't cry for divX but for ladder. Crying or Very sad

Mezir

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2006 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Ladder is cool, and I'm sad it's being deleted, but it was dead. Much as I enjoyed the division, saying how nice it is won't make it less dead. I don't really see anything that could be done to make it less dead.

It was an attractive division. People refused to see it.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2006 - 12:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I liked it too.
What was really the problem? "Too much effort to administrate" they say. What does it actually mean? What needs to be done in order for an extra division to just exist and function?
I suppose there's nothing just anybody could do otherwise the administrators ought to have advertised for more people to help out.

Mondays, 20:00-0:00
Tuesdays, 20:00-0:00
Wednesdays, 20:00-0:00
Thursdays, 22:00-0:00
Fridays, preferably not
Weekends, generally daytime 8:00-17:00
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2006 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Some 2 years ago when discussions about the change of ladder were made, my point was that [L] should become sort of a tournament division (with tourneys much like the SMACK nowadays).

My guess is that Ladder would have been functional if it had included tournaments like the SMACK scheduled like the RRR (i.e. apply for a TR range, once there are 8 or 16 participants start a bi-weekly tournament).

That said, a second division with official tournaments would be somewhat redundant under the current circumstances.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2006 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe the challenge system could be integrated somehow in unranked groups.

Mezir

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2006 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Everything Ladder did can be done in an Unranked group (another reason the division is going to be scrapped), just needs the tourney commish to put some work into it since he'll have to oversee all challenges and such by himself.

So all you Ladder enthusiasts, band together and create a nice, fluffy Unranked group. Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2006 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Farinroderel wrote:
Some 2 years ago when discussions about the change of ladder were made, my point was that [L] should become sort of a tournament division (with tourneys much like the SMACK nowadays).

My guess is that Ladder would have been functional if it had included tournaments like the SMACK scheduled like the RRR (i.e. apply for a TR range, once there are 8 or 16 participants start a bi-weekly tournament).

That said, a second division with official tournaments would be somewhat redundant under the current circumstances.

Ah no, I think those ranked smacks are primarily for CR-hunters. Ladder smacks would be much different, since you would hunt for ladder points, then.

Mezir

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2006 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

vanGorn wrote:
Ah no, I think those ranked smacks are primarily for CR-hunters. Ladder smacks would be much different, since you would hunt for ladder points, then.

The difference, if any, is a matter of taste only.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2006 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Well as the system is already coded - is it possible to at least salvage that and somehow include it as an option for unranked groups? That's sort of what I feel is one of the biggest losses - there's a whole automated system that does work available, and it'd be a shame to see an option like that vanish all together.

-Mnemon
Mezir

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2006 - 12:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll ask Christer... In fact it might be something for BB-Pad to add to his "Unranked Improvements" post since I'll be hitting Christer with it when he's back from wherever he flew off to.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2006 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Mnemon wrote:
Well as the system is already coded - is it possible to at least salvage that and somehow include it as an option for unranked groups? That's sort of what I feel is one of the biggest losses - there's a whole automated system that does work available, and it'd be a shame to see an option like that vanish all together.

-Mnemon

I loved ladder and that stuff. But I just ask myself: if we transfer it as options for U , what's the difference with ladder at all? just the name?

Come on please keep ladder alive.

It doesn't soak any space from database (a team retired still stays into it), I don't believe it soaked the site ressources, please, let us live Sad

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2006 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

The bottom line is, with 13 games played in 14 days, the division does not merit staying alive.

Additionally, the entire division can be recreated in Unranked.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2006 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, there is already the Actice Ladder Teams group, which can be the base for such a new unranked ladder.

macike

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2006 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir wrote:
So all you Ladder enthusiasts, band together and create a nice, fluffy Unranked group. Smile

vanGorn wrote:
Well, there is already the Actice Ladder Teams group, which can be the base for such a new unranked ladder.

Let's GFI. Ladder's not dead Exclamation

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2006 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

vanGorn wrote:

I'm going to take a long break from playing on FUMBBL. I'll gladly transfer the ownership of the group to anyone who wants to take up the gauntlet.

You shouldn't be seeing me on IRC for a while, but I'll probably check up on the forums (at least enough to maintain the Stunty Leeg Events).

As Always,
Good Luck and Lots of Mayhem
and it might not be so bad to Evolve To Anarchism
A must see documentary