64 coaches online • Server time: 20:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
method

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2008 - 03:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I was browsing through the league forums today when it hit me.

FUMMBL has alot of great leagues in the community. lots of themed leagues and fluff-based ones.

Here is what i propose to all of you.

a seasonal round-robin tournament once every six months similar to the
UEFA Champions league / Cup.
every league sends 2 coaches to the cup.

(how you determine your representatives is up to you.......for example..........

my league; the DAL will always be represented by the most recent league or Cup champion and the runner-up)

i will set up a league page with all the member leagues logo's, and links to the leagues... etc... etc

along with the coach/team stats you normally see on our individual pages, the group page would include the individual leagues standings in comparison to one another, and that league's all-time stats in the champion's cup.

then we'd have a champions league winner, and a trophy to award to that leagues group page (until the Next champion cup. of course...)

and above all it will bring camaraderie and such between all our leagues and their players. (not to mention the bonus of expanding leagues to attract more players who might want to play in multiple leagues.)

so what do you say?
if you are a league commissioner of a league of at least 10 players and would be willing to commit to the Champions league.
please post your league and your name.

method : commissioner of the Dauntless athletic league.
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=5533

who's in.....

Last edited by method on %b %07, %2008 - %04:%Sep; edited 3 times in total
pac

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2008 - 07:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it's an interesting twist on the often-discussed Champions League idea to invite coaches rather than teams (and thus avoid all the associated problems) …

But an all-Human all-Rookie KO? I've played in all-Human groups - they always seem like a good idea at the time, but …
Brother-Fu

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2008 - 08:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds fun! Good luck trying to set this up...

Brother-Fu
Pirog

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2008 - 08:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Champions League would actually be a really cool concept for an official Major in Ranked. To run a massive 3 round KO tournament, which would then be halted and the remaining teams would form the 4 vs 4 play-off group.

As for your idea it would really only work if the coaches were promoted and not the teams, since most Leagues are played in closed environments.
method

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2008 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

why that is the entire idea.. the coaches are promoted to represnt their league once every six months. not the teams...

"a seasonal round-robin tournament once every six months similar to the
UEFA Champions league / Cup.
every league sends 2 coaches to the cup."

before i believed it was typed
every league sends 2 teams (i.e coaches) to the cup

sorry about the confusing wording..
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2008 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea (and always have when we've discussed it before) of a tournament between the bigger leagues onsite.

I don't like this. If it was going to happen, my preference would be the teams that play in the leagues play in the tournament, even if it was done offsite with no uploads. All Human teams/leagues don't seem to work historically (apologies if there is a reader that plays/admins in a long term, sizeable one that does, but the idea of an all Human league is probably the one that has come up the most times in my time onsite; they can't <i>all</i> still be going), and to be frank the teams that play in the leagues would be part of the pull...

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %07, %2008 - %10:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
method

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2008 - 22:01 Reply with quote Back to top

well of course if anyone wanted to try, we could make something work. it would be cool to set the actual teams in the tourny too. i was thinking just a cup or something every six months or so, as a group we can hammer everything else out.
Peter_Thorpe

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2008 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

id like to see this happen for sure, it gives league only players a chance to "kind of" feel ranked from within there own area
if this ever does happen ill make sure to send a few people myself Very Happy
but i aggree that the teams would have to be part of the pull, an all human league...it dosent have the kick that a bunch of big teams would

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2008 - 04:33 Reply with quote Back to top

well pete, if you are interested in making this happen, i say we include the teams from the leagues, and what about the white isle league purple goo?

can i count you guys in as the second league? it might take time but this is THE ONLY way to make it a reality.
small steps in the right direction...

who is with the DAL, into making this happen?
method

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2008 - 05:32 Reply with quote Back to top

PM's Sent to the commissioners of

Sevenska ligan
White Isle league
OBBA the beautiful league
Northern Wastes league
Southern Wastes league
NBFL
Albion BB association

Lets see what happens......

small steps, even if we can get just 3-4 leagues to form up, slowly but surely we can create something really special....
Melmoth

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2008 - 07:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Thx for leaving the DBL out;-)
DragonsMaw

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2008 - 09:43 Reply with quote Back to top

The ABBA would undoubtedly be interested. I once tried to work something with the OBBA, given that I'm an original member, but it fell through. I like inter-league rivalry, I love anything that adds to the fluff of teams, and I think coaches who play in leagues, love a chance to show off now and again Smile.

If you can make it work, which sadly I doubt, at least due to scheduling issues, count us in Very Happy.

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2008 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

DBL invite sent.
sry melmoth, i was just sending out really quick invites.. but of course you guys are welcome, talk flix into accepting..
method

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2008 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

so we have

the Dauntless athletic league
Albion BB association

are in.

The Northern wastes league
The white isle league

are waiting to see how this develops...

if we have to set up an outside site, to run the tourny and play the matches off-site.. we can do that.
as i think the biggest problem before was getting a tourny started,
since all the teams are usually currently in one.. (i.e a team can't be in more than 1 tourny at a time on fummbl)

but we set up a group site, and schedule games to be play off-site (not saved) concurrently with the tourys we all are running now. and everything is good.
we can keep the standing on the group page updated with html.

unless the rare chance all the leagues end their current season about the same time.. HIGHLY doubtful..
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2008 - 11:15 Reply with quote Back to top

We did once toy with the idea of having interleague competition with the ABBA, but I decided against it, though I may revisit it in the future. I think competition within two or more leagues could be fun, but there are a lot of things to consider largely based on how you decide to implement this.

I think letting coaches use the teams they use in the league is the right thing to do but I also think you immediately lose a lot when you take it offsite too, but as I’ve never attempted or been apart of a league off site that’s pure speculation.

I’d say this idea is best executed between maybe Two Leagues in a Ryder Cup manner, scheduled in the season/calendar year.

That said though, if you’re going down the offsite route, then you don’t actually need a League commissioner’s backing to make this work, granted it wouldn’t hurt in hyping and fluffing the tournament.
All you need to do is ask for League representatives and those that are interested in your concept will join up, it’s players/members you need not commissioners in this case.

In short, if OBBA members were interested then I’d support them.

Good luck.

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

Jump to: