33 coaches online • Server time: 10:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post NAF Charity Tourney ...goto Post What To Do In My Tur...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What would make you play this league?
I like it as it is - I'll apply right now
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
I would play it if I could but I'm not from scandinavia
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
I don't like the rules - change them to... (specify below)
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Nothing to be done - Kill that league
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Pie!
47%
 47%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 21

Orangensaft

Post 5 Posted: May 17, 2006 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I took over the Scandinavian League after season 2. At that time people was allready loosing interrest. Now interrest seems to have dropped even lower and only half the games are played. The League is dying and noone seems to care - but me. (and a few others).

I would really like to keep the group running in some form or another. So please, if you have any suggestions or comments or anything at all to say, plz do.

thx
Jkaen

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

In my opinion there are only 2 reasons for local leagues, timezones and language, now since it seems you use english for this league I see no reason not to open it up to europeans (and anybody else of that timezone). also you need to provide something all the other leagues out there dont, brainstorm away for these, but what if for example a team got some bonus points for "clean play" if it threw no blocks the whole game (not sure it that would work, but its an example )
Arktoris

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Fun and friendship are always the driving force of a league. Sometimes a good storyline helps, or the winner of the tournament gets a really cool trophy for his biopage. But the members should become friends...talk about other things, hang out in chat etc etc. Otherwise, when a coach gets creamed/fouled/loses 0-5...they tend to be sourpusses about it and become unmotivated to play anymore. If a friend fouls/0-5 whatever...that becomes the catalyst for a good team rivalry which will spark more matches.

I also find tournaments should be knock-out style. When people lose, they lose interest. So in a KO tourney, only the winners move on and thus the tourney progresses.

Also keep in mind some leagues just have a certain life-span. When people play one or two tourneys, they're just ready to move onto to something else. No big deal.

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Your league is lacking its own "schtick" - or in other words, a factor which makes it unique. National leagues usually have two unique factors: the use of national language in the league as well as regional battling over the local championship. As the Scandinavian league uses English as the official (or main) language and the region of participant coaches is quite large, I would suggest you seek for some other factor that would make the league unlike any other on FUMBBL. One way to go would be to add Norse/Viking mythology in to BB in one way or another: encouraging Norse coaches, reducing the eligible races to some area of the Old World or something. The only limit is your own imagination.

Another method which might help to spark up some interest would be to open up the league to all European coaches instead of only the Scandinavians - as Jkaen said before me. At least Finland and Sweden are running their own national leagues as we speak - and the national aspect of a Scandinavian league just pales in comparison. Many European countries, however, do not have their own national league and I think you'd get recruits from bigger European countries (England, Germany, France, Spain, Italy etc.) more easily, anyway.

BTW, The ruleset of your league seemed familiar. Reading through it made me smile (in a positive way). I can kinda guess where the old main organiser acquired it from. Smile

Karhumies

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
Fun and friendship are always the driving force of a league. Sometimes a good storyline helps, or the winner of the tournament gets a really cool trophy for his biopage. But the members should become friends...talk about other things, hang out in chat etc etc. Otherwise, when a coach gets creamed/fouled/loses 0-5...they tend to be sourpusses about it and become unmotivated to play anymore. If a friend fouls/0-5 whatever...that becomes the catalyst for a good team rivalry which will spark more matches.

In my days as a league organiser, I have found this to be very helpful indeed.

In the beginning, you need someothing to spark one's interst towards the league. Once you get some applications, you need to "reel in the coaches" by making them more social and more committed towards to league to make them stay - and enjoy their stay! Very Happy

If the league is big, its own IRC channel will help (BUT it needs to remain filled). If the league is small, a fluffy forum thread or some occasional match reports as group PM might be better. But no matter the size of the league, any fluff you make and any unique prizes you can offer to the players = gooooood. Smile

Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Aktoris breught up some very good points, if all the coaches are from the same timezone I would also shrink the Round timeline to 1 week. (if you couple this with KO's you have ever diminishing numbers of games to be played.) This makes for a much faster season even if you keep getting stomped on (ie Round Robin), the agony is not drawn out over months and months before you can drop out, switch teams, etc.

It is my theory that if you can't get your game played within 7 days, it is likely that you can't get it played in 14 days either. that's been my experience.

also, Commissioners need to forfeit and move on. No commish likes to do it, but the guys lagging on getting their matches played are gonna be that way no matter what, and the last thing you want to do is frustrate the dedicated coaches by extending days and weeks beyond deadlines just to get all matches played.
Orangensaft

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 19:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Thx so far for the replies.
I think the next generation of the league will include all of europe for one. Some special bonuses sounds like a good idea too - maybe a fair play bonus (no SI or RIP or fouls in a game) and others like that - (have to think about more of those)
peikko

Post   Posted: May 18, 2006 - 07:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Orangensaft wrote:
maybe a fair play bonus (no SI or RIP or fouls in a game) and others like that - (have to think about more of those)

There is already Sissy Cup. And besides thats just almost racisticly versus finnish coaches Wink
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: May 18, 2006 - 08:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Orangesaft,

Perhaps you should copy the best league on fumbbl, the Southern Wastes League. Not meaning to sound cocky or arrogant, but we've been running for 3years and have anywhere between 60-90 coaches involved at anyone time.

The North Americans have asked permission to copy our format (which we dont hesitate to give) to create the fledgling Northern Wastes League and I would be more than happy to see a Euro or Skandinavian League running as well on the same principals.

Us SWL'ers and the NWL'ers have plans for a inter-league championship and I would really like to see national / regional tournaments take off.

More than happy to chat via PM or come see me in our chat channel #swl.

Good luck,
ClayInfinity
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: May 18, 2006 - 11:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice answers here but probably not exactely right IMO.

I think I runned many tournaments of various styles and, when I hear what you writte, your main problem is that you haven't been strict enough.

First don't follow Clay's advice. He takes it as acquired that the SWL would work as good in Europe. That's wrong.

Aussies and US have very few tournaments runners.
We have the DBL (many members), NL (100 roughly), Grudge league (90) Armaggedon, UMT, Die-Hard League, 5stars and many others too.

Hell yes, you have to battle with way more tournaments in this timezone.

Select from scandinavians coaches might be still a good choice.

Why?

If you select too open it to Europe you loose that "uniqueness" from the state.

Now IMO, better don't select the themed tournament -you enter directly in competition with 3 big leagues-

Actually, I found out that droppers makes a league diyng slowly. The solution? Kick them. They're like nigglers. Too much and you can delete the group.

A nice way to ensure that people want to play is to use a sub-group.

Take the recruitement group on the main page.

Use a subsidiary group linked to that page. Advertise events and starts of season on the main page. Ask coach to submit the team on sub-page. Lazy coaches that don't play will usually not (submit)

Post   Posted: May 18, 2006 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn,

You say dont take my advice, but what you have just said is what the SWL does.

We have MANY leagues... the SWL Main League (which I linked above) is the main league, but we run our own "open challenge / rank" div (SWL Fringe, which has 450 or so teams), we run our own Stunty (SWL Lil Leeg) and we have a number of side tournaments: Thunderdome, Ork Chukka Hunt, Pillow Fight etc for the fun and games stuff.

We also have a number of tourney's that are also pretty much Oceania timezone specific run by other SWL members - Cut Throat League, Deep South League etc.

And you are spot on with droppers - we kick 'em too! Guys who drop out are effectively banned from the future unless they can provide a very good reason. I believe we have had nearly 200 coaches come through the SWL at some point of time in the past 3 years... but once they drop, they rarely come back.

Another aspect that makes the SWL good is that we have our own dedicated channel, with admins and a bot (Bob_Borc) and a number of scripts and features. It is interactive and fully done by members for members... I am a tech n00b so I take no credit for that Smile

If you build a "community" you will get a much better result than just posting on the forums.

All good ideas, I hope Orangesaft finds them useful. Smile
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: May 18, 2006 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
sk8bcn,

You say dont take my advice, but what you have just said is what the SWL does.

We have MANY leagues... the SWL Main League (which I linked above) is the main league, but we run our own "open challenge / rank" div (SWL Fringe, which has 450 or so teams), we run our own Stunty (SWL Lil Leeg) and we have a number of side tournaments: Thunderdome, Ork Chukka Hunt, Pillow Fight etc for the fun and games stuff.

We also have a number of tourney's that are also pretty much Oceania timezone specific run by other SWL members - Cut Throat League, Deep South League etc.

And you are spot on with droppers - we kick 'em too! Guys who drop out are effectively banned from the future unless they can provide a very good reason. I believe we have had nearly 200 coaches come through the SWL at some point of time in the past 3 years... but once they drop, they rarely come back.

Another aspect that makes the SWL good is that we have our own dedicated channel, with admins and a bot (Bob_Borc) and a number of scripts and features. It is interactive and fully done by members for members... I am a tech n00b so I take no credit for that Smile

If you build a "community" you will get a much better result than just posting on the forums.

All good ideas, I hope Orangesaft finds them useful. Smile

yups sorry Clay, I didn't mean that.

What I mean't is that Orange better not expect that copying the SWL will bring it the same succes.

Because there's more concurrence here (in Europe). Using derivates is hard. I mean, there was a time you could create big groups easily. Now it's way more difficult. I think the latest succesful big group is Koadah's 145 club (a good idea I think).

ps: I never knew that Orca-Cola Cup, the first real fluff themed tournament (so for I know) has become so big!!! And active teams too. Cheer to BB-Pad work!

Post   Posted: May 18, 2006 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow. A free plug from Sk8. Thanks mate Smile

You'll be cursing me when you team has been murdered in K League. Smile (plug)

Are you guys talking about the same thing?
I would call that SWL successful because there are very few unplayed games. Not because of how big it is.
People are not dropping out. So copying that league looks like a good idea. Smile

If you only have eight coaches who play all their games then I'd say that it is a successful league.

If it is a round robin I would say stick to 1 week per round.
People's circumstances change. The longer the league goes on the more likely it is that someone will have to drop out.
With short leagues coaches can come and go each season.
If someone is saying that they cannot play 1 match a week then they would probably be better off playing some other format maybe KO or open RR.

Don't have groups with an odd number of teams. In your current scheme a coach could wait 4 weeks for a game. That's without anyone missing a game.

You have a number of coaches who did not even play their first game. Make sure that you send out a warning before the league starts so that people can drop out before you create the groups. (Hmm that reminds me)

Post   Posted: May 18, 2006 - 15:05 Reply with quote Back to top

peikko wrote:
Orangensaft wrote:
maybe a fair play bonus (no SI or RIP or fouls in a game) and others like that - (have to think about more of those)

There is already Sissy Cup. And besides thats just almost racisticly versus finnish coaches Wink

So you mean that all finnish coaches would get free points for their allready "soft" playstyle. Very Happy
Right - No sissy rules - point taken.

ClayInfinity wrote:
More than happy to chat via PM or come see me in our chat channel #swl.

I might take you up on that - Got some extra time on my hands next week. Have to check out the SWL first though

And to all other replies so far - Thx, I will take all suggestions under consideration when the league is reconstructed
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: May 18, 2006 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

The longer the league goes on the more likely it is that someone will have to drop out.
With short leagues coaches can come and go each season.

Spot on. The SWL is half way thru its 14th season, with each division (of which there are 7) containing only 8 teams.

With one game per week, a coach only has to commit to 7 weeks. Alot better than trying to get someone to commit to 20weeks (like the Fumbbl Premiership tried).

Coaches can come in, play 7 weeks and take a break if that's there desire with no hard feelings. Then when they want, they're back in. As long as they communicate to the Commish it will be good.

Bad coaches are the ones that drop mysteriously with no word.
 Jump to: