31 coaches online • Server time: 10:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Eternalknight

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, I am running an open round robin tourney at the moment, using the scoring system found in the back of the Blood Bowl rulebook (ie, 15pts for a win, 10 for a draw, 5 for a loss +/- amount you win/lose by).

What I was wondering was what do people think the ideal scoring system is?
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2006 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

3 for a win, 1 for a draw, and 0 for a loss...
No matter how many TD you win or lose with...

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2006 - 00:58 Reply with quote Back to top

DonTomaso wrote:

I second this... with the addition of forfeited games. 2 points for the win and -1 point for the loss.
BiggieB

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2006 - 01:27 Reply with quote Back to top

5 2 1 0 (where forfeited loss is 0)
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2006 - 01:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Sysiphos wrote:
DonTomaso wrote:

I second this... with the addition of forfeited games. 2 points for the win and -1 point for the loss.

So you get less points and lose the league because youre so good people just forfeit rather than risk losing heavily? pfft.
LightningSlayer

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2006 - 02:01 Reply with quote Back to top

3 for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 for a loss. is definatly the way to go. just like in football. its tried and tested. dont give points for kills, especially whilst fouling, because that would give the supreme advantage to slow killy teams. the whole point of a blood bowl match is ultimately to win right? sure you may bash the the other guy, but thats so you win. therefore, reward people for winning.
Eternalknight

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2006 - 04:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea of gving points for TD's though; this sort of negates the stalling tactics some coaches employ. Any recommendations that way?
pac

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2006 - 04:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Eternalknight wrote:
I like the idea of gving points for TD's though; this sort of negates the stalling tactics some coaches employ. Any recommendations that way?

If you 'negate stalling', then you effectively create a league for elves. Good coaches stall because it is a good and necessary way of defeating teams that can score fast. Unless you want an elfy league, then I wouldn't recommend points for TDs (unless there are also points for CAS, but then things can get a bit crazy ...).

Any system which gives out more than double the number of points for a win than for a draw (3/1/0 or 5/2/1/0 for example) should give enough encouragement to coaches to play winning, and not crippling, Blood Bowl.

But it does all depend on just what kind of league you - and your coaches - want.

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2006 - 04:48 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
Eternalknight wrote:

If you 'negate stalling', then you effectively create a league for elves. Good coaches stall because it is a good and necessary way of defeating teams that can score fast. Unless you want an elfy league, then I wouldn't recommend points for TDs (unless there are also points for CAS, but then things can get a bit crazy ...).

Any system which gives out more than double the number of points for a win than for a draw (3/1/0 or 5/2/1/0 for example) should give enough encouragement to coaches to play winning, and not crippling, Blood Bowl.

But it does all depend on just what kind of league you - and your coaches - want.
Ah, right. Thanks.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2006 - 07:56 Reply with quote Back to top

3-1-0 ftw.

For reasons unknown, most tourney coaches seem to embrace much more cumbersome scoring systems though.
Arcon

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2006 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Eternalknight wrote:

If you use 15/5/0 instead of 3/1/0 (basically the same) you can give one extra point for each TD scored. But I would not count a TD twice (+1 and -1). Thus if team A beats team B 2:0, this could be 17:0 (not 17:3). As said it encourages elf play, but also prevent some stalling.

I´d recommend the 3/1/0 system, but of course you can adapt it the way you want your league to be. Extra points for TDs for agile teams and a ball focused group or extra points for casualties for a more bashy group.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2006 - 10:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Kinda depends on whether you can trust your coaches to play all their games. Smile

Giving something for a loss at least gives some incentive to play games where you have little chance of winning.

If you are so worried about stalling then sounds like you're an elf baller. Smile

If you're doing an elf orientated league I'll partner you an do the bash orientated league if you want. Smile

Check this out

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2006 - 02:01 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Kinda depends on whether you can trust your coaches to play all their games. Smile

Giving something for a loss at least gives some incentive to play games where you have little chance of winning.

If you are so worried about stalling then sounds like you're an elf baller. Smile

If you're doing an elf orientated league I'll partner you an do the bash orientated league if you want. Smile

Check this out

Nah, not an elf baller, just had the tactic done to me several times and find it annoying.

It looks like 3/1/0 is the way to go then Smile
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2006 - 03:21 Reply with quote Back to top

The SWL uses a 5/2/0/-1 system.

We found taking points away was more beneficial than awarding a losing performance.

Given we have a tiered league with promotion and relegation, then getting negative points is a big deterrent for those wanting to avoid the drop!
Markusen

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2006 - 03:26 Reply with quote Back to top

15 - 10 - 5

+1 for each TD scored more (max. setting 2 or 3)
+1 for more CAS inflicted
 Jump to: