26 coaches online • Server time: 08:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Draft League Expansi...goto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Hayati

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2007 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about how to approach Orcs with Zons? I find them a particular menace, given that they are far tougher, without suffering particularly for speed.

I used to try backing off on defense, but this allows them to romp down the field with relative ease. Meanwhile, blitzing into the ball carrier and pressuring had the result of getting 3 players killed!

On offense, it also seems very difficult to break through the lines, and even if you can, you don't have the speed to get away.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Candlejack

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2007 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

push -> position -> push more.. put up pressure.. make em spread out.. kill the blitzers.. tie up the BoBs.. it is tough and messy but imo the only way. use the few guards you have wisely, you cannot hold back the whole bunch, too much strength and usually way more guarder. you _are_ faster than them, not much but it will have to do. an orc team that cannot utilize it's bobs as the coach wants has a tough time keeping the opposition back, if you get the chance to boot a blitzer do so, they are their main key players, mobile and tough. Of course this will not always work out but as i said, i think it is the best chance you will get.

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2007 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say the secret is in having a couple of dp's.

Orcs usually have a maximum 3 tackling players on the pitch. Those are the guys you hunt. Blitz them when they are open, foul them when they are down.

Then laugh your hinies off as the remaining non-tackle orcs try to bash your blodgers.

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2007 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Lishi Amazon tips
Russo

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2007 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmmmm......I would suggest playing a few practise games against an Orc team with your Zon team to try out new tactics, I am willing to volunteer myself as a suitable Orc opponant.

Though i would suggest you consider that the Orcs have AV9 and survive a fouling war better than the AV7 of the Zons Wink

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
Hayati

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2007 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Is that a smart ploy to skew our head-to-head record perhaps?!!

+ forgot to mention, we don't play fouling leagues and so DP is off the cards.

Alf115

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2007 - 17:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Prasomchai wrote:

+ forgot to mention, we don't play fouling leagues and so DP is off the cards.

that's nonsense. Do you also ban Mighty Blow and Tackle ?
Hayati

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2007 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh...funnily enough I am starting a league at some point with no Mighty Blow Cool

Topper

Post   Posted: Apr 16, 2007 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Well anyway any amazon team that wants to stand a chance needs 3 skills:
Guard, Guard and Guard. If you have enough of these you stand a fine chance at beating Orcs.
You simply outbash them. You have a harder time to go down, and more manouvrebility, and with enough guards that should be enough.
With that said I have only played amazons vs Orcs twice (and in IRL tourneys), with a win and a draw as the results.
Hayati

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2007 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the tips guys. You have confirmed my suspicions, that Orcs are indeed a tough mathcup for Amazons. I feel a little better about the difficulties I tend to experience now!

Russo, I will take you up on the friendlies offer and see if I can find something worth adding to my Amazon Tactics Guide.

Cool

HollowOne

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2007 - 12:03 Reply with quote Back to top

It really depends on TR, and on whether the Orcs have focused on Guard or Tackle. I've had a lot of success with Amazons against Orcs, but I can't really generalise because Orcs are a very flexible team.

Some general points of wisdom are:
- Though Orcs usually bring more Guard to the field, with your 4 blitzers you may be able to surprise them and bring some Strength skills to the fight. You'll need to rely on your Guards to break any Orc cages.
- Pin low Ag / high Str heavies with no tackle with linos with Blodge if you can. If you can scatter his BOBs, he won't be able to form a cohesive attack with them, and they'll be largely out of the picture.
- Foul Tacklers on general principle; they are your worst enemy, especially if they have MB.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2007 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Absolutely - take out tacklers when and where possible.

My orcs, despite having a huge advantage in numbers, lost this game against dark elves:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=1648897

I'm sure that no small part of the result came from my bad coaching - but having 1 tackler made it difficult to bring down the blodgers (also not scoring any CAS during the game didn't help, either).

So imagine what that game would have been like against a full roster of blodging amazons.
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2007 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Once you have a few (2-3) Guarders on an Amazon team, I recommend taking Dauntless on a double. It's very handy versus BoBs, Saurii, Chaos Warriors, Ogre as well as the occasional "regular" Big Guys you will encounter in a closed environment. Less players needed to fall down opposition -> more players available for securing the ball. Sure, Dauntless occasionally fails but when it succeeds versus a ST 4+ Tackler, you successfully free up the assisting player from harm.

Jump to: