37 coaches online • Server time: 08:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wyrmtainter

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2006 - 09:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I had an idea for a closed unranked tournament, but due to the restrictions the concept was asking for it was uninteresting.

Although the concept was interesting in itself: Crown a Champion Coach/Team for each race through a 3of5 KO Serie.

After talking with a few people I (and the people giving ideas...thanks Synn) came up with a better idea with no restrictions on the long term.

It would be done with the most competitive and popular Division, Ranked.
All teams would be divided by Race and then seeded by TR or Wins (not decided yet, TR would mean the most skilled while Wins would mean the most succeful in open season).

So if i take the example of Humans, the Top 8 team would be sent a private invitation to the series. The coach would be informed of the restrictions (explained below) and given the right to accept or refuse. If a Coach refuses, the 9th is then invited and so on until we get 8 Human Teams.

Repeat this process for each 21 LRB races. So we get 21 separate 8 Teams Series.

Restrictions to make the Series:
-For the duration of the Series the team will not be able to play games else than the team he is facing.
-Games in the Series will be made without the Fumbbl Login, making the games non-progressive (to keep the teams the same through the Series) and to not affect CR.

Why No Fumbbl Login? Because mainly playing 2 or 3 games back to back against the same team is against the rules. Although if the games have actually no effect on the team itself, nor the CR, the Admins won't have a problem with it (correct me if Im wrong).

Game Reports will have to be made in this Forum by both Coaches.

So For each Race we have 8 Teams, so 4 Faceoffs. The teams that wins 2 games against his opponent wins the Round and goes to Semi-Finale, repeating the process to the Finale. The winner of the Finale Crowned Champion of his Race.

What does it give? Tremendous Bragging Rights.

Any ideas...suggestions...or anything about the subject...Smile
Wyrmtainter

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2006 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought this up a bit more and found out that the non-progression is not that necessary and also that to commit to not play other games is not either.

In an environment where Teams would have a set time to complete each game of their Faceoff, these games could actually be progressive, giving them the right to get other games in-between those games. It might help those teams that are very low in TR to cope up a bit with their opponent, thus making more equal games. Although they would be forced to complete their Faceoff game before a deadline or else forfeit the Round and thus being automatically eliminated.

This way the games could be recorded by Fumbbl, thus not forcing us to uncheck the Fumbbl Login. Also it would give freedom to get other games, hence preventing people to decline invitation for that exact reason.

Also I came up with a new way to seed the Greatest Teams, nor by TR or Wins, but by Sorting them by most Games played, starting with the Team with most games played, although eliminating teams with less than 50% of winning. This way we take the teams with the oldest history game wise, but only keep the succesful ones.

If we go for a 1 week/game for a 2 of 3 format, it gives 3 Weeks Rounds, the Serie lasting 3 Rounds for a total of 9 weeks, or roughly a bit more than 2 months.

This way, more freedom for coaches, hence more participation, more reliable statistics as teams are reported and the games actually having effects on spps and injuries without having a too heavy impact on the next game of the Round.

The only negative point is with the official rule of not playing the same opponent twice too closely. Although with the possibility of having games outside of the Series and the fact that the Coaches are not deciding who they are facing in the Series, I hope for the best and that the rule might be a bit relaxed since this rule goal is to prevent cheating by taking advantage of loopholes in an opponent team, which is not the goal nor the effect here.

Awaiting replies...ideas...comments

PS: I am currently taking record of the teams that would be the Top 8s for each race if this is to be done...just to get a first impression
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2006 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

If you care more about the actual game itself, rather than the CR of the coaches and progression of the teams, you can easily accomplish this right now, without administrative intervention.

1. Find the coaches and teams you want to invite. Arguably, the hardest part.
2. Save each team by downloading the roster. You now have a static copy of the roster.
3. Upload the rosters a webserver**. You now have static copies of each team which they can use in the client.
4. Manually make a schedule as either a webpage on your own site or perhaps a post here in the forums.
5. Coaches contact each other and schedule matches over FUMBBL as normal with a normal tournament.
6. Games are played normally, but without the FUMBBL login option.

There. You have an unofficial tourney using FUMBBL teams.

You could even combine the two ideas and have your set rosters for each team and then manually update them during the series (ie: in the first game of a series, the star catcher of Team A scores a TD and then gets SI'd with a -MA. You can manually edit that roster to reflect that he is MNG next game and now has a -MA. You can also add 1 TD and 3 SPPs and use some mutually agreed upon procedure to roll for a skill, if necessary). After the series has ended, every roster gets reset before the next one (ie: Team A wins 3 out of the first 4 games and is progressing. It is reset to the original roster saved from FUMBBL and the -MA on the star catcher goes away, along with any other injuries, winnings, fan factor, SPPs, etc...).

To do this second idea, you need at least 2 copies of each roster. The original "base" roster that starts each series and a "current" roster which gets updated after each match (and is the actual roster downloaded by the players when starting a game). When the series is over, you just copy the base roster over the current one and the team is reset.

Unfortunately, I think you'll find that few people will take you up on this. Why? Its not "official" enough for them. Shame, that. It's a really good idea, I think.

The only potential problem I see is finding the exact point at which to capture the rosters. If people know it's coming, they can specifically build up for it, which may or may not be a good thing. If they don't, then you may wind up with a good team at a low moment in their development. Neither of these are necessarily bad but you may wind up with some big descrepancies which people could find to be unfair and the tourney would stall out and die.

** you can either use your own webspace (which may be a part of your ISP package), ask a friend to loan you a little space (I'd be happy to host it for you, although if you're manually editing rosters frequently, you want to have direct access to the server) or even run something like WAMP or MAMP on your local machine and make your own, temporary webserver.

Jump to: