31 coaches online • Server time: 03:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Exempt teams
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Karamazov

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2003 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I suggest an Undo feature where you get, say, 1 undo per half. It is incredibly annoying when your mouse decides to hate you and you end up clicking in the wrong square for a move or such - something that doesn't really happen when playing the board game. Smile

I realize this might be abused as an "extra reroll", so perhaps some restrictions should be made, like never being able to undo any move that normally ends that player's turn (block, pass..).

Also any dicerolls (GFI) should be kept in memory, so that you can't undo a GFI to get a reroll.

I'm not sure I'm making any sense. Smile
ecsjhart

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2003 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Not wanting to sound rude, but maybe you should clean your mouse and then take time/care when you're playing? Razz

More seriously tho' I can see your point, but mis-clicking is a hazard that everyone has to contend with and when I do it, C'est la vie. Would be a *great* idea if it could be implemented fairly, but i for one don't see how it could be.
Revener

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2003 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

My most usual missklick is a normal move when intending to blitz Wink
Done that a couple of times now Wink
dawe

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2003 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Well...
In a real play , if you "missclick", forgetting the turn marker, declaring an action and forgetting the wild animal... or stuff, your "enemy" would call for illegal procedure.

With JAVABB , there is no illegal procedure, but a new factor: "Wild Mouse"...
BloodbasherMasher

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2003 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to see this for stand alone games, but thats it. This simply because you are either playing by yourself or you are playing hotseat. Mistakes happen on both sides of the coin. Pay more attention and less mistakes happen.

Blood

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2003 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought of this myself. My suggestion is the Yahoo Chess approach. You screw up and click the wrong spot, make a bad move, etc. You can request a do over. If the person you are playing hits yes, you get the move back. If no, the move stands.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2003 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Buckle wrote:
I thought of this myself. My suggestion is the Yahoo Chess approach. You screw up and click the wrong spot, make a bad move, etc. You can request a do over. If the person you are playing hits yes, you get the move back. If no, the move stands.
I gotta say, I like Buckle's approach. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to code it, but putting it in your opponent's hands is probably the best option, if any.

I personally agree with dawe in that mistakes simply happen. I, too frequently forget to hit the blitz button. I just take a moment to lament my mistake and then try to deal with the mess I have made.

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2003 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Buckles I dea is nice, but I think that it can lead to disgruntled coaches and tempers flaring, and people taking advantage of it.

"Why did you say no, i didnt want to do that!"

"I dont believe that it was a mistake."

"Screw you pal. I'm never playing you again."

I stand by my choice. Currently, the player has no one but himself to blame. Giving them an option, even if the opponent has to agree, will just give disgruntled coaches a target for their frustrations.

Blood

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2003 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess Blood's got a point. I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt, but I suppose I was being a bit naive about it.

Anyway, I think this would fall under the same category of 'saving various states' throughout the game turns as the 'save game' functions that people were discussing in another thread. Ski's already said he's not interested in doing so because of the issues involved. People tend to not realize that there's also a LOT of things that could go wrong with such a thing and who wants to ADD bugs to a new release (*coughMicro$oftcough*)?

I think our little discussion here is pretty much purely academic.

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2003 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Now that Bad has mentioned extra saves, wouldn't it be helpful if the game auto save after a TD (maybe *after* the K/O rolls or even after the kick off). Have been in the situation a few times where there's been a problem and have taken a break after a TD only to find we've had to make the TD down again. On one occasion this involved reloading a few times until the opponant eventually repeated his rather flukey dice rolls....

I'm probably missing something blatantly obvious here

Question
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2003 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Not really obvious, but Ski has said a couple of times that doing so means saving a whole lot of data. The way things are set up now, it saves as often as it can and changing that would very likely create a whole lot of problems for a feature that wouldn't get changed much. How often do people really save a game and continue it later? Relatively rarely around here, I think.

It would be cool (especially for those of us who don't always have an hour+ to make sure we can get in a whole game), but I don't expect to see it any time soon. I think the same thing would apply to undo.

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2003 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

BloodbasherMasher wrote:
Buckles I dea is nice, but I think that it can lead to disgruntled coaches and tempers flaring, and people taking advantage of it.

This is a valid point but just because the option is there does not mean anyone is going to use it. I'll give you a couple of examples. If I am playing a friend and he misclicks, asks to take it back, then sure I'll do it. If I am playing in a tournament, then no way am I going to let someone have a do over at any point.
MrDurden

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2003 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

hmm, but with the undo button things like miss-gfi runs could be undone, so i see there quite a little prob.
 Jump to: