31 coaches online • Server time: 10:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What are the best rules for limiting Team Rating?
The current LRB aging and winnings system
38%
 38%  [ 19 ]
The Div X system of harsher niggling injuries and 10k freebooted apothecary
36%
 36%  [ 18 ]
The Playtesting Vault system - TR cap, 50k freebooted apothecary, different winnings generation method
22%
 22%  [ 11 ]
Some combination of these (please specify)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Something else (please specify, provide links if it's been mentioned before)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 50

Colin

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 05:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Following the emergence of the Playtesting Vault hard on the heels of the new rules in DivX, I wanted to hear what people thought of the various rulesets. Please refrain from harping about how they would ruin your team - that's been done in another thread; keep your replies concise and well reasoned, preferably backed up by hard data/statistics. Ok, on to the poll...

Nobody likes aging but it has proved to be a necessay evil. Do the newer rulesets offer something better for acheiving the same result, i.e. preventing teams from spiralling upwards into godlike unbeatability?

Note: The sweetener rules could be considered to have an impact on this, but I'll make a similar poll for handicaps.
BlackBart

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 07:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Why do you assume that I *want* to limit TR ?

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 07:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Limiting TR is necessary to avoid every game being a "who can roll doubleskulls first" contest, because every player has 7 skills and every team has 8 rerolls.
mUst

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 08:05 Reply with quote Back to top

If i have taken the time, avoided the niggles, and played all the games to make all my players legends, i dont see why i shouldnt meself decide if its too much or not.
Xeterog

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 08:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Note that the Vault doesn't limit TR...the cap is when your team stops earning money.

So, with a 2,000,000 cap, once your team is worth more then 2million, you no longer earn money from matches. Your TR (or team cost) can still go up as your players earn more and more skills (as long as they don't die on you of course).

So, you could have a 2,500,000 team cost team in a league with a cap or 2,000,000.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

May as well compare chalk and cheese. Those systems all have very different intents. The Vault rules have one mechanism for limiting team rating - you can't gain any winnings once over the cap. Nothing else in those rules does anything to stop teams improving. IMO thats quite a neat solution.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

For me, team TR, much like FUMBBL ranking, should gradually level out rather than slam into a ceiling and go no further. My preference is the current DivX rules, but combined with a better, stronger handicap system (including the sweetener system, which has great possibilties), to increase attrition of those top level teams.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Want to help keep games from being a battle of double skulls? Limit the number of team rerolls to a max of 4. That should help a little bit and would make you think twice about burning that reroll in turn 1 on the failed GFI.

Not a complete solution but a step in the right direction.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 20:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't want a limit, and hate the aging!
So the current system would be ok, without aging.
 Jump to: