44 coaches online • Server time: 20:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kenty

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2004 - 02:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Just noticed that I play someone from Spain my first round and have the chance to play someone from Portugal if I advance to the 2nd round.

Are we that short on American coaches in Fumbbl?
Bretter

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2004 - 02:38 Reply with quote Back to top

It was full before I had a chance to get a team ready... so at least one more would have been in the fold...
Kenty

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2004 - 04:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe living in California I should have signed up for the Australian bracket... would be easier to get my game in.
ChangoLoco

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2004 - 04:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I get to play someone from Finland in the 2nd round. Nothing against our Scandanavian cousins, but I am suprised so few from the Americas entered.

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2004 - 05:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Can I just say that alot of Americans are in the Australian bracket...

I am sorry, but I just can't see the point... I want to beat Aussies to win the Aussie division and you Americans obviously feel the same!
m0nty

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2004 - 06:15 Reply with quote Back to top

First of all, it has to be said that this is the first time that geographically-based groups have been done on such a scale, so it was bound to have some problems. In my role as FUMBBL's steward of official tournaments, I'm learning lots of things which will be useful for all future official tournies, not to mention Green Horn 2.

I was also surprised by the high proportion of Europeans entering - I did not expect more than half of applicants to be Europeans. Following a suggestion from Christer, I originally started out with one Euro, one American, one Australasian and one World, but given the ratio of applicants, in retrospect it would have been easier to have THREE Europe and one World!!! I never expected that. Perhaps Green Horn 2 will have two Europe, one Atlantic (for America/Euro) and one Pacific (for Australasia/America).

As for what this means for the current Green Horn: if you are in the American or Australian group, you have to be able to play in normal American or Australian time zones, as it says in the group info. This means that if you are a European playing in one of those groups, you have to abide by what your foreign opponent specifies for a time for playing your game. If you are an Aussie or Yank who has a foreign opponent, you shouldn't have to stay up til some ungodly hour to play your game - that's their responsibility - but by the same token, you can't make unreasonable demands or use this system to force your opponent into forfeiting. Communication is the key to working out a time when you can both be online - I expect to hear about a lot of PMs between you and your opponent. A bit of common sense on both sides should, hopefully, mean that no one has to forfeit.
Funso

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2004 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

You can understand why Americans join the Australian bracket - after all we all want to win, and being in that bracket would be the obvious way to win easier than normal.

Still, it owuld be nice to be playing other Anmericans if you are an American entering this thing.
SonofSharkboy

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2004 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

:O
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2004 - 04:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I cant understand why you just can't play in the division in which you reside.... if that means the Euro is a 64 team KO, the US is 32 and the Aussie is 16, then so be it...

And m0nty, you should know given you are one of us Aussies, that an "Australasian" divison incorporates 5 time zones vs the US's 3. From Perth to Auckland, is alot larger in time spread than LA to NY.

To accomodate Californians as well is probably a bit unreasonable...

Just my 2 cents (which is about 1.2 cents for you Americans)
Kenty

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2004 - 04:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I wasn't saying that Californians should be accomodated... I was just saying I don't see why I in California have to play someone with a 9 hour time difference from me when I am playing in the American division.
Wossel

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2004 - 05:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Im the one who kenty's talking of, but theres no problem for me to play in american time, cause i usually play at night, which is afternoon time in america, so i think there wont be any problems.

Now my next opponent is from Portugal? lol
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2004 - 06:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Kenty, you and I are agreeing...

You're an American playing Europeans in the American division and I am an Australian in the Australian division playing Americans?

Are there any Aussies in the Europe division to complete the circle! lol Razz
 Jump to: