61 coaches online • Server time: 19:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2015 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Calcium wrote:
I was proper addicted to Freelancer, but that was ages ago and the servers are long since shut Sad

Me too! Loved that game, reminded me of Frontier Elite.

harvestmouse wrote:
Well if it's receiving new content then it's supported still. And am I right in saying that EQ was a different game to EQ2? In which case it was worth playing both of them.

Remember BB2 is a direct replacement to BB1.

It was structured differently to EQ, but was essentially the same thing but prettier and with more scope for variation.

EQ was owned by SOE, and therefore had lots of financial backing. Can't see a company teh size of Cyanide maintaining the servers on BB1 for too long, unless they retain a solid core of loyal players they can sell things to.

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
WolfyDan

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2015 - 13:28 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Wow, who removed your dildo from your arse?

Can't back up your point so have to start throwing out insults?

Still waiting to hear how the established community is more powerful than Cyanide. Not sure your 5 PBeM games per week really swings it.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2015 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

WolfyDan wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
Wow, who removed your dildo from your arse?

Can't back up your point so have to start throwing out insults?

Still waiting to hear how the established community is more powerful than Cyanide. Not sure your 5 PBeM games per week really swings it.

The fact you decided to take issue with every single one of my points. You're being petty, confrontational and deliberately obtuse if you do not understand what I'm saying/deliberately misquoting me.

Outside of Cyanide both online and TT are playing the same game (near enough apart from NTBB, which still isn't far away). The NAF are the most powerful single entity in BB right now, and FUMBBL for example follows NAF (not Cyanide's) ruling. Numbers playing now are pretty irrelevant, FUMBBL and the NAF can exist with relatively few numbers as they're not looking to earn a profit. They're also extremely consistent. Further to this, a lot of the Cyanide players will also be members here and/or the NAF. Ask them if they want to play different rules on different formats, more than half will say they would not.

Cyanide is a headless clueless chicken. Any ruling they make is potentially as dangerous as revolutionary. Simply the established community will not follow their rule changes (bar possible good out of game changes), separating them from the rest.

How many of those 60k do you think will get to grips with the game and give it a good go? How many of these weak serial conceders will have the dedication to continue? When MFL comes out and fills the fantasy football niche, how many will jump to the new game?

History suggests categorically most. And if Cyanide move further away from the established game, those that play a variety of formats will think twice too.

So to conclude:

How many of those 60k most/half more than half? wouldn't have any real idea about BB before buying the game will be around in a year?

My guess less than a quarter.

How many of that quarter are established BB players?

1/3 - 1/2 maybe. So how many of them will be happy with further rule changes like what is being suggested? No many.

How many of that quarter will get jaded and move on to a new game? Again some.

So it's consistency. I can't see Cyanide keeping the consistent playerbase unless they stay on the same page as the rest of BB, which they did for BB1. Which they're not for BB2.

BB2 seems more of a passing fad, a lot are keen to try it, but not keep it.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2015 - 14:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Not many people will stick with BB1 once they can do everything that they want to do on BB2.
On the other hand some BB1 leagues do not use the Cyanide servers so they can carry on even when Cyanide does pull the plug.

'More powerful' isn't really relevant. Cyanide will do they want. They might ask for opinions but they will only make changes that they think will be cost effective.

Someone will no doubt create a utility that will help leagues to continue after the BB2 servers have shut down.

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2015 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:

So it's consistency. I can't see Cyanide keeping the consistent playerbase unless they stay on the same page as the rest of BB, which they did for BB1. Which they're not for BB2..

Give people the option to play straight CRP.

But they have a big enough user base to offer other options too.

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2015 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="harvestmouse"]
licker wrote:

Also didn't they turn off their BB1 server?

LRB4-CRP here is a prime example.

Mutant League Football should have a lot of interesting artwork that will be inspiring.

That was just jimmy making things up. It is like Christer working on Fumbbl for a couple of hours and someone saying fumbbl is closed down,

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2015 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="garyt1"]
harvestmouse wrote:
licker wrote:

Also didn't they turn off their BB1 server?

LRB4-CRP here is a prime example.

Mutant League Football should have a lot of interesting artwork that will be inspiring.

That was just jimmy making things up. It is like Christer working on fun be a couple of hours and someone saying fumbbl is closed down,

No it wasn't at all. There were loads of people panicking in several BB1 forums, I was just the one who reported it here. I also posted when they came back online.
Also the key flaw in that analogy is that there is better communication from one guy working in his spare time than from an entire company getting paid to do their jobs. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2015 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Cyanide be will be the biggest ever potential pool of bb players and could easily be the last bb pc game. Hopefully we can get a reasonable fraction over here in the next year of 2 before they disappear. Seems tough though as we can't mention it on their forums obviously.

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2015 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

So Jimmy wasn't right Shocked
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2015 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Also the key flaw in that analogy is that there is better communication from one guy working in his spare time than from an entire company getting paid to do their jobs. Very Happy

Yeah, but actually caring and getting paid don't always overlap! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2015 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
Cyanide be will be the biggest ever potential pool of bb players and could easily be the last bb pc game. Hopefully we can get a reasonable fraction over here in the next year of 2 before they disappear. Seems tough though as we can't mention it on their forums obviously.

Yeah you can mention it. You can't promote FUMBBL on their forums.

As I have said, I'm dubious about how many will roll over to another format. I'm surprised though at the amount of new blood here recently, so maybe I'm wrong.

I think a large part of their fanbase are computer game fans, or play for the graphics or established players only. I'm not talking about the numbers they have now, but those that will still be playing and buying the add-ons in 6 months time.

What I think you'll have is a totally different playerbase. Where a lot of what they have now will drop it in favour of something else new and shiny and those playing BB1 will slowly seep over to BB2.

The BB1 community is knowledgeable, so it'll be interesting to see how much they'll put up with. I think there will also be a lot like us who pick up the game at some point to have a go and see what it's about. I'm interested in the 1 player story, not sure I can be bothered to play all the games against the AI to find it out though. I never finished the previous one player game.
SquirrelDude

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2015 - 01:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that as more players get interested in the game, some will seek FUMBBL either for the customization, to play with all of the teams, or as a simply another venue to introduce the game to friends.

FUMBBL is the free way to introduce the game to friends, after all.
SquirrelDude

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2015 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

So there was slightly big talk by a couple of people here streaming games of Blood Bowl 2 on twitch. I'll speak for myself and say that I would be very interested in that, and also speak for some other people.

That cKnoor guy who streams Blood Bowl (I think harvestmouse said he seemed like a bad guy due to a match report against Calcium or something) has a [url=https://steamcommunity.com/groups/cknoorbowl]community[/url that follows his stuff because they like Blood Bowl and at the moment he's the best/most widely known Blood Bowl player on twitch and youtube. I pitched the idea that experienced coaches from FUMBBL would be streaming Blood Bowl 2, and the response to the idea was universally positive.

All of that is to say that there is definitely an audience (it's niche, but it's Blood Bowl) that would be interested in watching those Blood Bowl 2 streams if you make yourself known to it.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2015 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Well you can let everyone know that I will finally start my streaming at 7PM UK time today!
http://www.twitch.tv/jimmyfantastic

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2015 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I get the feeling that the public leagues will rapidly kill newcomers's interest in online play. It sounds as though the console public divisions are dying already.

They have no equivalent to Ranked and MM seems a whole lot worse that Box.

It is probably just the publicity around the game rather than the game itself that has been driving traffic to Fumbbl.

Jump to: