33 coaches online • Server time: 08:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is CLAWPOMB really a problem?
Yes, absolutley
55%
 55%  [ 464 ]
No, Chaos Dwarfs Disagree
20%
 20%  [ 174 ]
Still Haven't Decided
8%
 8%  [ 75 ]
Pie!
15%
 15%  [ 127 ]
Total Votes : 840

Nelphine

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2019 - 05:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Right, I don't think SEASONS are bad for Stunties - I think TV matching is. I think it's very important to keep that in mind. If TV matching is chosen, I think teams should always be able to choose to act as if their TV was some amount higher than their own actually is, specifically so they can choose to be underdog.

I dislike Seasons for completely separate reasons (see my excercise on re-drafting Shrieking Bloodstorm above), but that is entirely unrelated to not TV matching.
Danish_Dan

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2019 - 06:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I play in the Southern Wastes league, second season for me now.
We have manually calculated seasons, and I've just gone through my first redraft.

I had to fire a few players, injured ones, but it makes me very happy that facing the second season, everyone in my division is around the same TV, even the guys demoted from the premier league.

I haven't seen anyone complain about the seasons, and honestly I really like it so far, and wish it was in black box too. Would encourage me to play more black box, not just making new low tv teams and playing with them (I rarely play my high TV one's because I feel like I keep facing nurgle with claw, and getting wrecked).

Also, for reference, I play wood elves in the league, and had 1810k TV after 10 games, redrafted to 1570 TV.
Seventyone

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2019 - 08:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Claw pomb (thread) is so OP. It is a 99 page behemoth forever changing the nature of the forum. Due to its enormous size it utterly changes the nature of how the forum is played, resulting in less diversity. Over time forum posters wiLl leave leaving the forum a wasteland, with nothing but a few massive bloated posters left occasionally getting matched against each other, ripping each other to pieces in utterly predictable ways.

Renerf claw pomb thread 2019

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2019 - 09:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Is there currently any hint that seasons may be added to ranked or the black box?
Garion

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2019 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:
Is there currently any hint that seasons may be added to ranked or the black box?

No, but Christer has always tried to stick to the rules as closely as possible. So it wouldn't surprise me if it appeared in some form or another in the future.

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2019 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Danish_Dan wrote:
We have manually calculated seasons, and I've just gone through my first redraft.

I had to fire a few players, injured ones, but it makes me very happy that facing the second season, everyone in my division is around the same TV, even the guys demoted from the premier league.

I haven't seen anyone complain about the seasons, and honestly I really like it so far, and wish it was in black box too. Would encourage me to play more black box, not just making new low tv teams and playing with them (I rarely play my high TV one's because I feel like I keep facing nurgle with claw, and getting wrecked).

Also, for reference, I play wood elves in the league, and had 1810k TV after 10 games, redrafted to 1570 TV.

But don't SWL use a modified version of seasons?

My main complaint is that if it turns out to be crap, we wouldn't tweak it due to the need to be "official".

In a division like R or B, I would trim the injured players as I went and get matched by similar TV that way.

I wouldn't mind cutting teams to 2200TV, but wouldn't really fancy cutting 200K off teams smaller than that.

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2019 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Danish_Dan wrote:

But don't SWL use a modified version of seasons?

My main complaint is that if it turns out to be crap, we wouldn't tweak it due to the need to be "official".

In a division like R or B, I would trim the injured players as I went and get matched by similar TV that way.

I wouldn't mind cutting teams to 2200TV, but wouldn't really fancy cutting 200K off teams smaller than that.

I too play in the SWL and have been running a Dwarf team that went from the 3rd division, to the Premier and now back to the Conference (2nd) div. Re-drafting hasn't been a big issue for me, and I have kept some stars on and paid their "retirement" fees. This season though, I had to let go a good Blitzer...

The SWL rules are a 7 game season (our divisions are 8 teams) but the "Seasons" rule is that the retirement roll is made after every 10 games. So if you have a rookie lineman who has played 7 games and not earned any spp, you're better off firing and replacing him and see if he can jag some spp next year.

I enjoy it... I think it truly does suit league play. It will nerf PO as a result (TV bloat is kept in check via the seasons) and every game is very competitive and I enjoy the league.

It wont suit the legend builders or High TV team silliness (I have a TV2300k Pact team in the fumbbl cup who I love), but for "competitive" play, I think the SWL is awesome.

Question is tho, will playing a 20 game season in the Box where Coaches play their 20 games at different rates but are matched on TV be as competitive? I think so... but it will change the mindset of Box though.

I don't play Box as I get my league fix and I enjoy the builder mode (code for cherry picking if i need a soft game) of Ranked. Box I dabble with Black Box but find the timezone I am in a bit odd and hence not so popular.

For reference, my SWL league team as it heads into its 6th season: https://fumbbl.com/p/team?op=view&team_id=918279
Mattius

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2019 - 13:09 Reply with quote Back to top

This really should be another forum topic. That said, the reason seasons work in league is everyone is on the same schedule and you all have something to play for, IE promotion, avoid relegation etc. In box or ranked, with BBT as an exception, there really isn't anything else to play for but to build up your dream team or your CR. Seasons would remove a good part of what people play for.

Who goes and spectates mid range TV games when there are 2 huge teams against each other? People want the big teams! Smile

What I think is really needed however is the return of wizards. That would really punish the bloat in tournaments. Would make people think twice.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2019 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Mattius wrote:
This really should be another forum topic.

Agree, but the PO argument is that its overpowered in a limitless TV environment (although I am not convinced as I believe the RR cost will limit ClawPOMB merchants)...

Seasons is one method of clipping ClawPOMB effectiveness...

And so is your Wizard quote...
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2019 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I want to spectate LEGENDS! (Players, teams, and coaches)

Give me a 2000 game halfling tree any day!
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2019 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

good. most of my teams have 5 rerolls for chef protection. this will give those rr something else to do.

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2019 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

It seems the PO/clawpomb thread glory has been ruined by people wanting to talk about ways to ruining the fun of long lived teams in the Box. Which has been discussed in a different long thread..

Piling on being available for reroll use is not a justification for seasons. It may be a justification to get a dirty player to foul the one piling on player.

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2019 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Wooooooo page 100

Throweck wrote:
Wooooooo page 100

Aaaaaah, so close

Throweck wrote:
Throweck wrote:
Wooooooo page 100

Aaaaaah, so close

DAMN IT!!!!