50 coaches online • Server time: 11:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Speccing and Playing...goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Strip ball or Dauntless
Strip ball
68%
 68%  [ 45 ]
Dauntless
31%
 31%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 66

MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jan 16, 2022 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

captainmalkor wrote:
or could take horns instead of dauntless

Horns is a Secondary skill, Dauntless is a Primary skill.
Bellenrode

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2022 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, Horns requires Blitz while Dauntless doesn't.

Personally I'd go for Strip Ball, because it synergizes well with Wrestle and increases the odds of dropping the ball, which is paramount.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2022 - 13:46 Reply with quote Back to top

True. On the other hand, Horns, when Blitzing, gives a sure +1 Strength, while Dauntless requires a test in order to increase the Strength.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2022 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
True. On the other hand, Horns, when Blitzing, gives a sure +1 Strength, while Dauntless requires a test in order to increase the Strength.
yes, but Dauntless is much cheaper and works vs ST4 too. It also works on normal blocks, not just blitzes, which is important on a team with low ST and low AV players.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2022 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, not disagreeing with that. I was just pointing out the pro of Horns, i.e. not requiring a test when Blitzing unlike Dauntless.
When comparing skills we have to consider pros and cons.
Bellenrode

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2022 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

True.

The upside of Dauntless is being able to re-roll a failed roll, albeit the final result is still left to a chance. Horns guarantee +1 ST, but Blitz is a much more limited resource (you get only 1 per turn).

Then said, if you want to attack the ball-carrier anyway, you will probably Blitz with your Wrestle + Horns Gutter Runner, so here is that.
policeshades

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2022 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Beware the horns, claw. mighty blow blitzing GR! https://fumbbl.com/p/player?op=view&player_id=12618847
Medon

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2022 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

There is no synergy anymore between claw & mighty blow, you know this?
Garion26

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2022 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I would say there is still overall casualty synergy just not on the Armor Break roll.
Claws makes you more likely to break armor and Mighty Blow makes it more likely to get a removal. The two are still nice to have together. Just means that the '7' rolls on armor aren't breaks. Everything else for armor rolls stays the same.
Kondor

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2022 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Medon wrote:

The synergy is still there but it is nerfed. Claw can be used to break armor and then mighty blow on the injury roll. It is still good to have both if you will see heavily armored foes. It just is not as good as it was because you can only use claw or mighty blow to break armor. Mighty blow no longer modifies armor beyond the effects of claw.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2022 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

1296 knockdowns vs AV9+:
No skills: 60 cas
Claw: 90
MB: 130
ClawMB new: 150
ClawMB old: 186

Vs. AV 10+, it's 36 with no skills, and 84 with just MB.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2022 - 07:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm also for Horns here. Reason is if you need to blitz someone away on the sideline for example in a normal turn 5 to break through or just blitzing something free in your average turn, you don't want to rely on a dauntless roll. You don't want to waste RR for that.

Also advantage over dauntless is vs st2 targets.

other alternative is two heads but that probably goes rather to a block GR which has the ball
policeshades

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2022 - 09:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Medon wrote:

I am aware it has been nerfed. I was gently trolling Matt's old BlackBox Legend with Wrestle and Block as well.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2022 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

The original plan was just having Wrestle, then he got ClawMB, so he took Block as last skill in order to use the killstack when rolling Both Down vs Blockless/Wrestless opponents.
I didn't expect to roll 3 doubles when I started his build, hence the Wrestle-Block redundancy, which was not so bad when trying to sack a Block ball carrier.
Eki

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2022 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

It depends on the league but generally 1 gutter wrestle + strip ball and 1 gutter wrestle + dauntless
 Jump to: