32 coaches online • Server time: 11:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nelphine

Post   Posted: May 21, 2022 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

For me a C grade skill is worth 10k
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 21, 2022 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

As an aside, if the Linemen are expensive (such as Elven Linemen) it could be better to pick the G skill.
It's true that you pay it 20 TV, but if you get a bad G skill you wasted a slot and it's unlikely that the Linelf will survive till 2nd level-up.
Cycling is hard too, because on 3 Elven teams the Linemen cost 70k, which is almost the cost of a positional on another teams, and if you cycle them you will lack gold and a bench. Elves suffer lots of Casualties and you already have to replace the injured and dead, let alone spending gold to cycle.
I tried to randomize G skills on my Elven teams but it didn't work.
To fill the first slot the good skills are too few compared to the bad ones.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: May 22, 2022 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the way I see it, you can't afford to start with a lot of positionals now that you need money for Dedicated Fans, and especially now that having more RR is rewarded. But if you build up random first skills for 15 games, with some G and S skills, you'll develop a few good players, which is all the room you have going into Season II, because you're going to take positionals you didn't have at first.

Post   Posted: May 22, 2022 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

pfft, screw re-rolls! all money into recycling randoms!
Java

Post   Posted: May 22, 2022 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

why not both?

most teams seem to be swimming in cash

Post   Posted: May 22, 2022 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed. The ease of hoarding huge Treasury + sneaky-buying Inducements (especially true for bash teams with high AV) is another flaw of this ruleset.
It would have been better to simply cap the Treasury at 200k without any EM table. The new Expensive Mistakes table is not effective in keeping the Treasury in check.
Java

Post   Posted: May 22, 2022 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

The rules are perfectly balanced regarding cash

there's a thing called redraft that resets your cash every dozen games or so

It's easy to call something unbalanced if you ignore half of it
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 22, 2022 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

There is no cash reset till a Re-Draft, therefore is perfectly possible to hoard lots of gold in-between 2 Re-Drafts, especially if the Season is 15-game long.
Also, if it's not possible to hoard lots of gold, then the Expensive Mistakes table is not necessary.
A fixed Treasury cap of 200k would keep in check the Treasury every game, unlike the Re-Draft every X games.
Java

Post   Posted: May 22, 2022 - 14:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, of course, if you ignore half the rules and change the other half, it makes perfect sense.

Post   Posted: May 23, 2022 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm going to be contrary and claim that Pile Driver doesn't suck!

Ultimate blitzer build is Tackle+Mighty Blow+Pile Driver+Sneaky Git+Dirty Player+Jump Up so he can keep doing it every turn.

Alternately, you roll Pile Driver on every single random S skill you go for, and then you get more games in Competitive because people think you've lost your mind and it's an easy win for them - what's not to like?

Post   Posted: May 24, 2022 - 19:18 Reply with quote Back to top

That is only a good build in 1 player vs 1 player matches (bloodbowl 1s, does it exist?). As soon as you have two players on the pitch it becomes more optimal to blitz with one and foul with the other.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: May 25, 2022 - 04:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Not necessarily. Sometimes you need all of your other zones to control space, maybe you really can afford to land the hit with just the one guy.

I agree that it's pretty marginal though. Its best use seems to be on expensive players in league environments, where getting ejected is sometimes a good thing late in the match, and where the right casualty can improve your odds. In Competitive, not so much.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2022 - 23:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Let me get this straight and wrap my head around it.

So if you use pile driver, that is your foul action for the turn. Correct?

Then the only way to maximize odds is to put it on a MB player who has dirty player.

So, if you are a tactical fouler this is a pointless skill. If you like big guys getting all buff rowdy then you save the spp and take DP on the big guy for max effect.

Now if you activate big guy last and you did not foul, it does give you a second go at breaking AV on the last action of a turn.

Mmmm , it seems to open up options but is not that great.

Maybe a sneaky git/dp ogre? What is that like 36 SPP? Two double secondary chosen and a primary chosen.

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2022 - 03:18 Reply with quote Back to top

No, you're not getting it.

"Ha, ha, you wasted SPP, a skill, and 10k getting nothing of value. But who knows, maybe late in a game sometime late in the season, you might use Pile Driver to waste somebody else's hard-earned SPP, and then who's the sucker?"