27 coaches online • Server time: 11:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ph0enyx13

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2023 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I was reading this article and it was saying in 1150k rez formats most coaches took a goblin, and in fact more coaches took a goblin than took a thrower. This is odd to me because this build has 20k sitting around and coaches could have taken an apo or line orc over the goblin. Why do so many people take the goblin, is it just for the OTTD chance?

Last edited by ph0enyx13 on %b %02, %2023 - %16:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Carthage

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2023 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

They're not terrible ball carriers either and that frees up your blitzers do to blitzer stuff. But the one turn is very threatening considering how bashy they are and gives them an option that other bash squads don't usually have.
BeanBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2023 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I took a no-goblin build to UKTC last year. I chose Mr Throw because the gold worked out neatly that way, and Sure Hands. Left him in reserve on defence. So on defence AV10+ leaving no weak point for opp to target.

Thrower was bloody awful! Just so slow.

A goblin build sounds more fun. As well as more 1 Turnsome.

I’m done with Mr Throw now, he’s let me down too many times : ) Or more realistically I have failed to get best out of him!

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2023 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

The Orc Thrower is unplayable. Goblins make decent carriers. In a league or in C, a Lineman who randoms into Sure Hands and saves for +MA is far superior to whatever it is you're doing with that Thrower. In res, you're better off carrying with a Goblin or Blitzer.

Worst positional in the game, that Thrower. I mean, I understand. It's a trap because they look like they have everything you need but surprise the Sure Hands guy is worthless! Ha-haaa! Designers having a spot of fun at the expense of noobs.

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2023 - 07:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I think point of going thrower and goblin is that it depends on opponent on who you carry with.

Not having sure hands against strip ball hurts a lot and against bashier oppos ive seen gobbo carrier a lot.

Mind you I dont play orcs but ive played against em on rez tournaments.

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2023 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I say a 2-3 turn td is much more realistic with a thrower and a gobbo. You will probably end up passing the ball forward and dodge through tz, which is difficult with blitzers.

That said I don't know if it's worth the gold.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2023 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Hovring wrote:
I say a 2-3 turn td is much more realistic with a thrower and a gobbo ... I don't know if it's worth the gold.
It's not just gold. It's having to field soft players, when your main schtick is how 'ard all your players are. One such player, fine, you're 'ard so you can play around them. Two becomes a problem.

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2023 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I love throwers of all stripes, more for switching the field than quick TDs, but two is definitely only for silly people like me.

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2023 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Hovring wrote:
I say a 2-3 turn td is much more realistic with a thrower and a gobbo ... I don't know if it's worth the gold.
It's not just gold. It's having to field soft players, when your main schtick is how 'ard all your players are. One such player, fine, you're 'ard so you can play around them. Two becomes a problem.

You need two Goblins, as one might get caught by the ref when stomping.

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2023 - 06:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Thrower is great if you use him right.
He has all the skills he needs right out of the Box and can get al the others you want EASY

If you pick up and carry with him he SHOULD be PROTECTED right?
If you know HOW to protect the Bal what does it matter what his AV is?
Your team is 'ARD and should be able to stand their ground or PUSH when needed to get an MA5 player into the End Zone

If you are on Defense somebody has to be able to pick up the ball AFTER your BOYZ stop the advance of the Uvver team and wring his neck and take the ball.
Who are you going to pick up that ball with? A BIG'UN?
No. You put your Thrower on the Ball Side in the Backfield just out of reach.
He moves with the ball, he mirrors the ball
He gives assists, he lays the BOOT
And when you pop the ball out he picks it up and can PASS IT (if needed) to someone else to get the quick score IF you are short on time.

Why would you use a MA5 guy as a Sweeper? Or Free Safety?
If you know Football his is more like a Strong Safety or Rover
He defends against the RUN... not the PASS
 Jump to: