59 coaches online • Server time: 21:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
The_Great_Gobbo

Post   Posted: May 23, 2023 - 09:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Can coaches of races other than goblins give me their thoughts as to what would happen if the block skill was no longer a general skill but a strength skill.

Would it make much of a difference in the new rules or not?
Grod

Post   Posted: May 23, 2023 - 09:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I imagine wrestle would become extremely popular.

Oscar Wilde
RDaneel

Post   Posted: May 23, 2023 - 09:56 Reply with quote Back to top

yes a lot in my opinion. Because all 5 St players (Tomb King's guardians, Mummies, Troll, Pump Wagon etc... ) can immediately access at 6spp the Block skill and this will be a fast acceleration... on the contrary all the ball keeper who require block for protection (Ghoul, Dwarf Runner, etc...) need to wait 12 spps to access Block and will be less protected for more games... (Wrestle for a ball keeper is useless)
This will have an important impact on the game dynamics and how coach develop their skill, Block is one of the most General skill used in Blood Bowl.
Again some already skilled team like Orcs can get further benefit from this rule

Did you read somewhere that G&W wants to move Block to Strenght skill in the next Designer's Commentary?
MrCushtie

Post   Posted: May 23, 2023 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

It would be *awful*. Most linemen wouldn't be able to get Block, I have a funny feeling you'd see dwarfs doing horrible things to everyone, and by the time the big guys got block, the dwarfs would have so much Guard it wouldn't matter anyway.

Better to just give goblins and halflings block as a starting skill

Post   Posted: May 23, 2023 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

MrCushtie wrote:
Better to just give goblins and halflings block as a starting skill

Probably better to just give them DP+2.

Post   Posted: May 23, 2023 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm holding out for Sneaky Git counting as Guard on a foul, and DP+3.

Post   Posted: May 23, 2023 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

DP+3 hasn't been implemented. Sad

Post   Posted: May 23, 2023 - 22:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I can dream, can I not? Smile I'm sure it will be part of "We're really fixing passing this time, honest" BB 2024...

Post   Posted: May 24, 2023 - 01:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it works better if you also split Block into two skills (which is another common suggestion to nerf Block). Let's say we replace block with:
1 - Robust (S): When this player is blocked and a both down result is applied during a Block action, this player may choose to ignore it and not be knocked Down, as described on page 57.
2 - Safe Block (G) : When this player performs a block and a both down result is applied during a Block action, this player may choose to ignore it and not be knocked Down, as described on page 57.
(sorry if the wording isn't perfect, I hope you get the intended meaning)

It would also help to differenciate dwarfs from blitzers in general, because dwarfs would probably just start with "Robust" while blitzers (positionals) start with "Safe Block". Big Guys would be able to get robust easily, but it's just the defensive aspect of block so they wouldn't be any safer to use, it would just be easier to protect the low AV Big Guys (Rat Ogre, Bloodspawn, Yhetee).

Of course it would have to be part of a rework of other skills as well so there's always a multiple of 6 in each skill group.
PainState

Post   Posted: May 24, 2023 - 03:37 Reply with quote Back to top

The Block Skill has been a core skill since 1ED. The entire block dice system is centered around Block/dodge/tackle.

Granted dwarfs gets Block and Tackle out of the box....which I will say dwarfs need to throw as many 1db as they can at low TV when they have a huge advantage..but I digress.

Making Block a S skill will, lets put those pesky dwarfs on the side, would cripple almost every roster. Also you will notice on the T1 teams they all start out with a core of players who start with Block. So all the T2 to T4 all suffer OR do they. Those scrub teams only can get block most often as a choosen Secondary skill.

Once again Iam thrown off my train of thought.

Block/tackle/dodge are the three most important skills in the game. If you mess around with one of them you must mess around with all three of them or else we make new dice for blocks.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2023 - 03:42 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Great_Gobbo wrote:
Can coaches of races other than goblins give me their thoughts as to what would happen if the block skill was no longer a general skill but a strength skill.

Would it make much of a difference in the new rules or not?

It would make all rosters access to Block the same as Goblins inless your starting roster has block.

i sense a motivation to make Block a S only skill a goblin trick to make every one agree with the goblin and ignore the real effect it would have on the game. Mainly less dead goblins.

as a foot note.

Goblins start with Dodge so they are a leg up on the Block dice scenario I pointed out in my previous post.

So, at low TV all goblins can man up defense on any ST3 player with out block and have the odds of coming out standing up.

Goblins real nightmare scenario is the Block/Tackle/MB player.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2023 - 03:51 Reply with quote Back to top

why are these guys still alive?

The abomination Goblin team

come on FUMBBL someone needs to step up and kill this Goblin...PRONTO!

Oh, crap, I forgot they only play elves. Come on Elves start stomping these guys into the pitch.

**Foot Note**
notice how half this goblin team has Block?

I gave it my best shot and wiffed those peskly goblins just would not die