52 coaches online • Server time: 21:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Igvy

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2023 - 05:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Are there any commands within the client? - to provide dumps of info. Basic stuff like player positions or skills to player relationships.
Most other stuff can be tracked via txt notices anyway.
Christer

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2023 - 13:32
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Seems like an odd way of trying to get programmatic information. Why do you need it, and why would you want it from within the client?

I realize this may read as a bit hostile, but I'm genuinely interested and not trying to shut you down. There are ways to get access to replay files which can be parsed for things like this instead of going through the client itself.
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2023 - 16:52 Reply with quote Back to top

There is the API

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2023 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Well if i was going to write a bot to play the client. Positioning information would be needed.
Was thinking of having an bot league so you can play when ppl are not online. No matches in the box is a depressing message
Christer

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2023 - 14:02
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

That sounds like a very complex project, but amazing if it works. Here's a high-level outline for how I'd do it:

1. Decompile the current client
2. Study and learn how it works
3. Inject a bot controller into the code in parallel to the existing code
4. Interface your bot with the bot controller
5. compile, and test

Something to consider, though, is that creating a bot is very difficult, and I would probably look into the botbowl project to get started with a bot before trying to inject a bot directly onto FUMBBL.

Currently, using a bot would certainly not be OK in a competitive division context, but if you have a functional bot I'm very much interested in getting that to work on FUMBBL in some way. It'd be amazing to have an AI for people to play against, and adding some kind of bot API is absolutely on my long-term wishlist (step 1 would probably be to communicate with the botbowl people to come up with something that interfaces with what they do).
SeriliKirico

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2024 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:

Something to consider, though, is that creating a bot is very difficult, and I would probably look into the botbowl project to get started with a bot before trying to inject a bot directly onto FUMBBL.

Kind of opposite, was in my case, at least. I also was very interested in this idea and wouldn't mind to invest some time into such project - but knowing that there is no clear way to integrate the resulting bot with fumbbl (as I was told in the botbowl Discord itself) kind of killed all enthusiasm. I'm not well scientifically-minded fella, so can't work on it just for the idea of having fun with AI. It has to be practical.

I think having an extensibility engine within the client itself would help such initiatives great deal. Like, ability to import an AI plugin, which then could interact with the client via well-defined API offering access to full client state at very least, and some auxiliary functions ideally (like pathfinding) - and allowing you to modify that state to the same extent a human can do using the UI.
 Jump to: