41 coaches online • Server time: 13:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2024 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

wow, just... wow
strongly opinionanted coaches
signature breaking the forum
"there are no brakes on the dice train"
3 PAGES! (lol 4 edited)
I really need to face some gnomes
this is like 2008 FUMBBL
I like it!

JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2024 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Ah, he's a Beastmaster with Thick Skull, isn't he?
Beastmaster, Gamewarden, Fishmonger, cowpoke, whatever. Language is all arbitrary anyway, €¥¢£∆?

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2024 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, just wondering if he was a different player with a different profile, hence the question, not nitpicking about the name.
DoctorMidnight

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2024 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
The current set of rules are a pretty half-arsed effort.

Though. Gnomes could be an excuse for another stunty cup

It could be!
it DEFINITELY could be!! Very Happy
The_Great_Gobbo

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2024 - 01:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I atez gnomes bein added az it meens I kan no longer kall dwarves der lawn ornaments.
ShadowManes

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2024 - 04:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Ranzimus wrote:

It was hilarious and well done by my opponent. 😂 gnomes being released in BB has driven me to play a game GW cares about. I have started collecting Age of Sigmarines since GW respects those players and cares about game balance.

My brother in christ. 40k and AOS aren't any better balanced lol

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2024 - 09:11 Reply with quote Back to top

My take on Gnomes (based on playing with and against them, and spectating games) is:

- They are a classic Stunty team, in that their wins are hard work, whereas their losses are all in a similar style (dugout full of Gnomes). Like other Stunty teams, games (and drives) tend to begin full of hope, then turn to custard and a resort to desperate measures. They can implode spectacularly after rolling 1,1 (with less chance of recovering the drive than other teams).

- They do not fear bash teams, indeed might do well against them.

- Gnome vs. Gnome games are a lottery. Against other Stunty teams they might be better.

- They do rather badly against non-Stunty teams which are either AG2+ and/or have a decent quantum of Dodge. That is a good many teams - say 1/3 to 1/2 of all teams, depending on how you count.

- They do not fear increasing their TV (except in so far as it is generally advisable in Blackbox to keep a team's TV low and/or efficient). This is in contrast I think to Halflings and Gobbos. Their go-to inducement (currently) is Cindy - costing only 50,000, and therefore available in many games, either as overdog (when she can be purchased), or when the Gnomes are underdog by 50,000 or more. In turn, the influence of Cindy on the match result is highly variable.

It is hard to say where they sit in terms of Tiers in the current Blackbox and BBT environment, given that in the last 10 days of April (and from about a week after Gnomes first appeared), Blackbox appears to have become dominated by the teams that Gnomes do worst against. I would suggest, however, that they rate lower than their current handicap in the BBT rules (2 points). Their performance appears to be around the same level as other Stunty teams (but might be a wee bit better, once coaches get the hang of them).

There are different ways to play and develop Gnomes (indicative I suggest of better rather than poorer design).

One word of warning: I find Gnomes very hard work to play, being rather "technical". Thus they might appeal more to coaches who like that sort of thing!
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2024 - 11:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Finally after 4 pages of garbage, something actually useful. thank you

I watched a few replays of gnomes and the Trickster skill seems good, it's like a super-sidestep
Anyone put Sidestep on a Trickster player yet?
Gridironman

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2024 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

This conversation needs to die. It's still the top convo in the forums so it's not like I'm promoting it to first by typing this.

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2024 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Sp00keh. I would say Trickster is a sort of "poor man's sidestep". It performs some similar functions (e.g. preventing the player getting surfed). It combines well with Guard (Gnomes are a 4 x Guard team, given that the Trees will take Guard as first skill). A typical use of Trickster is to reduce a 3-die block to a 2-die block (occasionally a 2-die block to a 1-die block, which is much better). It gets better if you give the Illusionist Dodge (and presumably after that Sidestep and then perhaps Safe Pair of Hands - assuming you use the Illusionist as the ball-carrier - but I have not got beyond 1 skill with them yet). I suggest Dodge should come before Sidestep. Opponents regularly forget Trickster for the time being, lol.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2024 - 14:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Trickster seems so good because the gnome travels 2 squares after getting pushed

First square you choose from the 8 surrounding the blocker,
Second square the blocker chooses from the 3 behind your player. this gives you a lot of control

With Sidestep as well, you're moving 2 squares and you control the direction both times and in 8-ways. This sounds really good

Dodge first, yea I'd agree. You'd want to be still on your feet. Although, they have Jump Up too
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2024 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem is that Illusionists tend to be removed from the pitch after that fancy Trickster & Side Step process. They are squishy, so, Dodge first is better.
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2024 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Gnomes are the thinking man's dwarves.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2024 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I would replace Trees with 2 Zoats. Wouldnt be that more interesting and give them other flavor then halfs?
DauntlessFling

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2024 - 01:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with op. I think stunty should have mighty blow to make up for being str 2
 Jump to: