17 coaches online • Server time: 03:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nordmark

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 23:53 Reply with quote Back to top

RandomOracle wrote:
As an aside, I like to get a thrower for the elf teams early on and get him accurate followed by safe throw. I think a reliable thrower makes a huge difference in how secure your offence is. You can still get completions with your linos by picking the ball up with them and passing it to the thrower on the first of your offence.

Depends on if you play a running or a passing game. I usually play a running play with DE since it fits them better imho. Sure you can take catch on you Blitzers and the likes but there are other skills for them at the begining with higher priority (dodge, sidestep, tackle, passblock etc). Not saying that you can´t play a passing game with them but I find it easier to run the ball in. Still a thrower is a valuable part of any elf team.

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 23:58 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
RandomOracle wrote:
As an aside, I like to get a thrower for the elf teams early on and get him accurate followed by safe throw. I think a reliable thrower makes a huge difference in how secure your offence is. You can still get completions with your linos by picking the ball up with them and passing it to the thrower on the first of your offence.

I agree with that but I prefer taking skills in that order: safe throw / block

safe throw/ accurate

and yes I use actively 2 passers!

I take it the first is a defencive thrower and the other offencive? That's certainly not a bad way to develop them, but I like to have two offencive throwers in order to have a back up for when my primary thrower is missing, gets killed, or ages.

I also prefer to take safe throw after accurate, because most of the time you don't need to throw over opposing players but you need the +1 to get a 2+ short pass.
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Nordmark wrote:
RandomOracle wrote:

Depends on if you play a running or a passing game. I usually play a running play with DE since it fits them better imho. Sure you can take catch on you Blitzers and the likes but there are other skills for them at the begining with higher priority (dodge, sidestep, tackle, passblock etc). Not saying that you can´t play a passing game with them but I find it easier to run the ball in. Still a thrower is a valuable part of any elf team.

That's true, although a skilled passer gives you more options even when you run the ball. Btw, I would never take catch for any elf but rely on rerolls for the catch instead. I'd much rather take a defencive skill like side step or diving tackle.
Uber

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 00:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Not using throwers is stupid, god somebody gag this fool... Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

first skill for a thrower, imho, is block. 90% of the time ur opponent singles the thrower out because he doesn't have block. took accurate and regretted it as the thrower was always stunned. block gives u a safe and solid defence, and accurate later makes the thrower more efficient. depends on whether u have the linemen prepared for the game or not...

and yes randomoracle, my team DID have every player with block (except 2 linemen with DP and Kick) b4 i got the thrower, and because he didn't he sucked for quite a few games...

my experience now says that i didn't retire injured players when i should have... time to remedy that, esp as the high TR range can be painful!

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
origami

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

LordSnotball wrote:
first skill for a thrower, imho, is block. 90% of the time ur opponent singles the thrower out because he doesn't have block. took accurate and regretted it as the thrower was always stunned. block gives u a safe and solid defence, and accurate later makes the thrower more efficient. depends on whether u have the linemen prepared for the game or not...

That's not a problem that I've had, and my throwers rarely get block before their third skill (if at all). When they aren't holding the ball, my throwers tend to hang back, ready to provide an extra assist or run in to grab a loose ball. They don't block or get blocked often - my opponents typically have a better target for their blitzes, especially if they are interested in winning the game rather than in casualties.
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I also rarely give my throwers block as an early skill, unless they roll a +ST. They are the only players in my team that focus on offence, and since I don't usually wield them on defence they don't get hit that much.
nin

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2005 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

LordSnotball wrote:

and yes randomoracle, my team DID have every player with block (except 2 linemen with DP and Kick) b4 i got the thrower, and because he didn't he sucked for quite a few games...

my experience now says that i didn't retire injured players when i should have... time to remedy that, esp as the high TR range can be painful!

I like better Dodge, it improves both movility and survival, early on there are not so many players with Takle and you ned to get the thrower where the ball is. I don't usually block with Throwers, if you block or blitz then you can't pass
stormmaster1

Post   Posted: Jul 10, 2005 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

pass block can be useful on a thrower on defence for something different. If it can get you to get the catcher to drop the ball, or even an interception, your thrower is perfectly positioned to make the offensive play.
Vanguard

Post   Posted: Jul 10, 2005 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

as a none elf player !!!
leap safe throw nevers of steel on thrower

strat:
blitzer leapes into cage, strip ball, thrower leapes also in gets ball throw to ally

and yes even if he needs a 6 too pick up ball he succeds about 1/3 of tries and puts a additional tz on the ball
Nordmark

Post   Posted: Jul 10, 2005 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

uber wrote:

Who said anything about not using Throwers? I use Throwers but not for the Long Pass wich most other elven teams use. Imho DE are better suited for a running game. With no catchers in the team this comes natural to me. Sure you can pay DE like the WE, Pro or HE does but I believe it to be smarter to make an easy pass in the beginning and then run the ball in. Almost always an easy 2 turn TD.

Post   Posted: Jul 10, 2005 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Nordmark wrote:
uber wrote:

Who said anything about not using Throwers? I use Throwers but not for the Long Pass wich most other elven teams use. Imho DE are better suited for a running game. With no catchers in the team this comes natural to me. Sure you can pay DE like the WE, Pro or HE does but I believe it to be smarter to make an easy pass in the beginning and then run the ball in. Almost always an easy 2 turn TD.

I'm with Nordmark. Rather than hang back and throw from deep (as I would with other elves), I tend to play a fairly agressive DE offence that sits in the middle of the pitch, then go for a hand-off (or short pass) and run for the 2 (or sometimes 3) turn td.

Unless I'm down a lot of players, in which case I throw everyone up, hang deep, and hope my whole team don't get knocked down.

As a playing style, it tends to work ok.

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2005 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm...seems I have the opposite problem to Curro, my defense is decent but my offense is pathetic. Still, my few tips for DE defence are.

1) Get blodge/sidetep linemen. Hard to kill, and a lot of coaches get annoyed if they don't knock down your LOS guys, and so will waste extra blocks on them. Can also be used to roll around (or through) the offensive line.
2) Always get a couple of guys (preferably blitzers) around the flanks into your opponents half. Use them to menace the ballcarrier or slow down a cage. If you do manage to break the drive, these guys will be available to make a run for your own TD.
3) Witch Elves make excellent safeties. Block/Tackle/Frenzy is exceptionally good at taking out catcher-types, and the witch is fast enough to cover most of the backfield. Don't be tempted to throw them into a melee unless you need them as a distraction, many players will put a great deal of effort into taking her out. Since your blitzers are the most important players to the DE coach, sacrificing a witch now and again can work wonders.
4) Don't go in too heavily for the "Dodge away a square every turn" thing. You do need to leave some players (preferably sidesteppers or blodgers) in opposing TZs to slow your oppo and restrict his options. Against a bashy team, try to leave them next to the weaker, non-tackling players. Also, try to put these guys in a position so that when they're blocked, a follow-up means the opposition is spreading out more, thus weakening their line/cage.
5) If your oppo has a frenzy player (particularly without block/tackle or both), get a sidestepper stood next to them if you can do so without getting too out of position. If you're lucky, your oppo will take the block and fail to knock you down first go, giving you control of the blocker's movement for 2 squares, which has a multitude of uses.

Hmm...that's all I can think of right now, no doubt I've forgotten some stuff, but hey, it happens.

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2005 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Azurus wrote:
4) Don't go in too heavily for the "Dodge away a square every turn" thing. You do need to leave some players (preferably sidesteppers or blodgers) in opposing TZs to slow your oppo and restrict his options. Against a bashy team, try to leave them next to the weaker, non-tackling players. Also, try to put these guys in a position so that when they're blocked, a follow-up means the opposition is spreading out more, thus weakening their line/cage.

I agree. The harder it is for your opponent to move without dodging, the less players he will move. He will instead do what is safer, and more fun. That is block your players, even if its just a 1d block. All this is most likley to happen when you are playing an AG 3 race and there are few/non rerolls left.

With less movable players it is harder to reform a cage or protect the ball against elves.

And one thing. Don't babysit those dark elves. They have AV 8, ST 3 and bloody habits. Darkies do fine in man-man defence.
 Jump to: