33 coaches online • Server time: 12:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: May 02, 2004 - 02:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a successful (7/5/5 record) halfling team in an unranked tournament... I have played all types of LRB compliant teams and have actually beaten Dwarves...

My success has been principally down to the fact that one of my trees has PASS!

Only used to reroll fumbles, but its amazing how often they crop up with 1AG long bombs Wink

Also, I usually go for a side-step, sprint, surefeet combo. I had a kick player as well and whilst I have Hail Mary, I have never used it.

The other fact is keep the FF up and the cash coming in. I have even retired healthy flings with a MNG coz I had the cash to replace them.

The only times i have lost is when the trees take root and I cop a first half hammering.

Plus they are fun and I don't actually care about the results... Smile

Team Link: Mr Whippy's Donut Boys
SolomonKane

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2005 - 00:58 Reply with quote Back to top

In the event you're about to get squashed, you can use dodge and stunty to break free several receivers.
Hail Mary Pass with some Diving Catch/Catch players ought to be useful in this case.

If you can fling Flings downfield or make an ungodly amount of dodge and go-for-it rolls, it forces the defense to either spread out to cover the receivers, or to make an effort to stop the ball carrier. In the first event, you just use your Dodge/Stunty combo to get a bunch of assists for your trees and take out the nearest opposing players as you roll slowly downfield. In the second event, you punch open a passing lane with trees and throw the ball. The big thing with flings is to TAKE...THE...RISK. You have a lot of reroll skills and you'll get hammered if you stand still. You might get hammered even if you aren't standing still, but at least when you run and can score a touchdown you can jump up and down and yell a lot, and mock the feeble efforts of the opposing team (I think that's a quote I read somewhere).
Macavity

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2005 - 01:42 Reply with quote Back to top

My advice is, don't use trees.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2005 - 09:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoy playing flings with my orcs! mwahahhaa

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2005 - 09:47 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:

You are in my mind! Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2005 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Halflings in ranked are meant to get the coach easy cr points from elf teams, who, unless they have great luck, will bleed to death without rr's. It could be called cherry-style, if they werent so damn anoying and easy-dying as they are. At least, thats what some people use them for. Otherwise they are great fun, i saw some maniacs playing them at quite high tr/st against tough bashing teams, i salute those coaches with nerves of steel.
Synn

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2005 - 11:18 Reply with quote Back to top

First doubles for 1/2lings.......

kick always! If your opponent can't reach the ball then you are always in a position to score (via TTM!). Twisted Evil

Tackle is more useful then block. Anyone who earns tackle with DT makes the perfect filler in between the two trees. Keep the trees close so one can help the clear the other one for a good toss.

__Synn
Tommi

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2005 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Halflings in ranked are meant to get the coach easy cr points from elf teams

from MadMarx is absolutely the most important thing to remember. Many elf coaches stick to playing only elfs and other soft teams, halfling coach should remember to do the same, as they are even more fragile than elfs. As for basic tactics, keep in mind what roos said. When you have fouled the opposing team to 9 players on pitch, the match suddenly looks more even. Even when the fling has 50% chance of flying out of fouling, so what when the flings worth (in TS) is 15K and the fouled player is 70K or more?
Halflings are broken in tournaments, a match vs. orcs, dwarfs or CD are quite likely to end their career, so dont play in them.
Maniacs team composition sucks by the way, no point buying a star player to the first match, rather take more flings, as referee will be throwing them out from fouling and they will get hurt. Also dont spare your apo for trees, flings need it more. Just keep the trees close to each other, so they can not be overwhelmed.
Also all the rules about good team management apply, if you want to keep the flings for long. Getting a star tree killed for example is not bad at all, as flings do not work at high trs. Maniac had some good points about that.
I have 12/2/3 halfling record in ranked btw. http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=96269
Laviak

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2005 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

flings also do rather well when they pick on vamp teams .. which suffer even more than elves do when they lack RRs Very Happy

Optihut

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2005 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, what's up with the recent thread resurrection? Wouldn't it be better to start a new thread on the same topic and link to the old thread?
The_Mighty_Ren

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2005 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Flings should fear no-one.

League of Heroic Failure

EDIT: I dream about diving tackle/sidestep flings, but the rule seems to be that any fling who reaches 15 spps dies. And I can't roll doubles (for skills), so my trees are perpetually immobilised. Curse you take root.

Last edited by The_Mighty_Ren on %b %04, %2005 - %16:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Teg

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2005 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Mighty_Ren wrote:
Flings should fear no-one.

League of Heroic Failure

I'm playing in this league and I'm having a lot of fun Very Happy
Your players die before to get too experienced so you can keep a low TR Razz

I have to buy 2-4 Hobbits at the end of every match... and many are killed or injured by Throw Team Mate Laughing

Here my skill wishlist:
One player with Catch and Sure Feet (add here Sprint if he survives enough) can be very useful, on his feet or throwed by a treeman (in this case keep him near to the treeman so after the landing he can use his feet to run)
Some players with Diving Tackle and Side Step to limit opponent movement and cause to him some turnovers
An Ent with Pass will be great!! The other with Pro but I have not rolled a double till now, so I have chosen Guard and Break Tackle (this last is very useful)

If you are lucky and have some doubles on Hobbits then you can choose depending on the skills already taken and your style.

Have a lot of FUN!!! Very Happy
Arcon

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2005 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:

Well, I like to play Orks with my Halflings. At least I won both games so far and over all caused more cas.

The good thing is that most coaches spend money on 4 BOB. The ST4 does not really make a difference vs Halflings, and the advantage is: They are slow (even slower than flings!!) and have no skill.

I always try to buy 1 or 2 ingredients, and if I can afford, hire Deeproot. My record is 9/4/7. Unfortunatly most of the time you get challenged by coaches new to BB/Fumbbl and it feels a bit strange to welcome them by destroying their team. Also, I feel like cherry-picking sometimes, only that I get picked...

I am quite proud of my "Blitzer" Treetender , who got Block on my first doubles (actually, counting the Halflings, I had 2 doubles in 18 skillrolls). He caused 6 cas in 20 games and he is quite mobile.
Arcon

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2005 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, forgot something.

NEVER use the apo on a fling! You have him for the Trees

(ok, I would consider it on my Treetender, but no other)

And, do not increase your TR with assistant coaches. Do not keep them, or only few. And I wouldn´t buy cheerleaders. Save the money for ingredients.
 Jump to: