54 coaches online • Server time: 19:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Acetriad

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2007 - 06:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I know people like to know what they are getting into in a game. So here it is. When you play me you can expect: Fun, thats why I'm here and why I play, to have fun. Yes, I do like to win (I prefer it just like most other folks) but if you win and we still have fun... I'm still happy. Fouls: I dont do these very often, (halfling teams and the like excepted of course) but I do once in a while if it seems prudent. I'm not a huge fouler in general, but hey, it happens! Other than that.. sometimes I make mistakes, and sometimes I'm lucky too. Anyone else want to post their opinion on how they play?
BloodbasherMasher

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2007 - 06:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I lose.

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2007 - 06:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm about the same as Acetriad, only I'm still a newbie, not even a month old... so basicly I lose as well... but I don't like winning 4-0 either, which surprizingly has actually happened... I like really competitive matches where things see-saw a bit, and I don't mind a hard faught tie.... but I do hate it when someone clears the field.. or 2nd halves that start 11 vs 3, that's not much fun. Atleast not for me... but oh well... that's how I like it.
BloodbasherMasher

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2007 - 06:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess Ill elaborate.

I'm notorious for losing a player either by turn one or two. So, I'm constantly playing with less players on the field than my opponent. I wish I were joking here.

This is with low TR teams and no multi skill one player wonder teams.

Does this make me a better coach? Hardly. However, I will try and give my opponent a run for their money. Nothing is sweeter than denying my opponent a TD after a hero run.

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2007 - 06:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm also pretty much the same as Ace here. I foul when there aren't any tactically better things to do with a player, if there is a prone player near to him. Obviously fouling would be the last thing to do during the turn!

'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go...
Synn

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2007 - 08:51 Reply with quote Back to top

What i enjoy about BB is the variety of the games. On the pitch, i view the most enjoyable aspects of the game as being the mental tic-tac-toe of positioning, when to mark up a player, what turn you want to score, which guys do you leave unblockable and free, etc. This is the tactics side of the game and FUMBBL has the most experienced BB players.

As someone who has played BB for a long time, i respect the challenges and interaction. I have taken a lot of losses and am not dissapointed should i lose a game (thats what my tournament failures are for Very Happy ). Therefore, should i lose, it doesn't do me good to make the game miserable for you. Specifically, saying things like "OMG..... another 6 for you!" Nothing pisses me off more than that whole "the dice are holding me back" mentality that opposing coaches need to vocalize for the sake of their own egos.

6's happen. Instead look at the tactics that go into such a play. Notice when in a turn the person makes his move. If someone minimizes their rolls each turn that i am expecting the dice to appear good. A turn of 2+'s with rrs and 2db's with block makes anyone's luck meter look awesome.

We have all met the coach who both plays irrationally and then gets rewarded through insane dice. Thats why i shout at my computer a lot! Very Happy

Since the subject of fouling has already come up, i have never once uttered anything other than a "\o/" on a foul RIP/niggle on my own players if i would have fouled in his shoes. I appreciate the tactics of the opponent. A well placed and calculated foul is a tribute to the opposing coach. A foul without securing the ball is an insult.

I view it as "i value a win against you more than my team."

One last thing to rant about.....

People around here focus too much on the negative aspects of coaches. There are so many coaches on FUMBBL that generalizations are useless. So enjoy a game against someone new.

Blood on the pitch,
__Synn
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2007 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoy playing 1 single coach: myself. I hate everyone else. However, despite of the nonsense of the situation, I am not allowed to play versus myself here, even if I would be the most tremedous opponent I could play Cool .

So I play with you folk!

Gosh, you are really lucky! Laughing

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2007 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:
What i enjoy about BB is the variety of the games. On the pitch, i view the most enjoyable aspects of the game as being the mental tic-tac-toe of positioning, when to mark up a player, what turn you want to score, which guys do you leave unblockable and free, etc. This is the tactics side of the game and FUMBBL has the most experienced BB players.

As someone who has played BB for a long time, i respect the challenges and interaction. I have taken a lot of losses and am not dissapointed should i lose a game (thats what my tournament failures are for Very Happy ). Therefore, should i lose, it doesn't do me good to make the game miserable for you. Specifically, saying things like "OMG..... another 6 for you!" Nothing pisses me off more than that whole "the dice are holding me back" mentality that opposing coaches need to vocalize for the sake of their own egos.

6's happen. Instead look at the tactics that go into such a play. Notice when in a turn the person makes his move. If someone minimizes their rolls each turn that i am expecting the dice to appear good. A turn of 2+'s with rrs and 2db's with block makes anyone's luck meter look awesome.

We have all met the coach who both plays irrationally and then gets rewarded through insane dice. Thats why i shout at my computer a lot! Very Happy

Since the subject of fouling has already come up, i have never once uttered anything other than a "\o/" on a foul RIP/niggle on my own players if i would have fouled in his shoes. I appreciate the tactics of the opponent. A well placed and calculated foul is a tribute to the opposing coach. A foul without securing the ball is an insult.

One last thing to rant about.....

People around here focus too much on the negative aspects of coaches. There are so many coaches on FUMBBL that generalizations are useless. So enjoy a game against someone new.

Blood on the pitch,
__Synn

Well said. I often wonder if anyone else speculates/anticipates what Synn or Macavity will have to say on a new post, before they have replied, or before you scroll down and find it.
Russo

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2007 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I like games with Stunty teams the best, those suicidal 3 die blocks against you on a Big Guy, you both go down and the Big Guy is KO'd whilst your little 'un is just stunned...I LOVE IT Laughing

I found after a while that I had established some regular groups of people that I like to play against, people with a similar style of play, or more likely a sense of humour that you can relate to.

Sometimes this is determined by the time of day and Time Zone you are regularly available for games.

Joining some of the League groups in Unranked also helps develop these close circles of coaches that play against each other.

Personally I am a little picky about who I play against, as I have played some games in absolute silence, as my opponant has refused to chat or have a laugh about things. If you are here to have fun that usually means "drama" in the matches, and as liqudtiki said earlier 4-0 or 5-0 wins are just not as much fun. One of my favourite games I lost 3-0 to tomfromparis but he was such a laugh during the game I am happy to sign up for further drubbings Very Happy

Synn is right also, don't focus too much on the negative / unfriendly coaches you are bound to meet from time to time, just add them to your blacklist and move on the the next coach (who 9 times out of 10 is a decent person).

Ohh and one other thing.....the thing I hate the most is "drop outs" after a player has been seriously injured or killed. It has happened to me twice and it bugs me so much, one guy even had the nerve to not reconect to the game afterwards saying he was going out with his friends...

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2007 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I play primarily because I’m addicted to the damn thing, which I attribute to be a product of the fact that I find the game fun.

I enjoy building my teams up – hate my horrid luck with ageing, and despair when my Apoth fails regularly, but consider it my own fault when he’s wasted on a lesser player when my star player incurs a niggle later in the game… in fact, I’m paranoid about that now, such that some players seemingly have their own personal physician. Smile

I don’t particularly like losing, but don’t mind it either – especially if I learn something from the loss!

I’d prefer to have an enjoyable game in which I lose (Well, draw Wink ) than have a game in which I win and find myself at the end of a barrage of whining or general unfriendliness from the opposing coach, which leads me to my next point and is in keeping with what Synn said.

In light of all the “horror” stories on here, I consider myself rather fortunate to have played lots of coaches, especially recently, whom have taken the game in a good spirit regardless of outcome or occurrence and who have been enjoyable to play against and chat to and have a laugh with.

I don’t mind if people highlight their crummy luck – in fact if they’ve had it I’ll endorse their feelings, hell, I’ll highlight it myself when my stupid skink fails a simple dodge roll that could have scored the winning TD at the end of a game!

In fact, there’s probably only half a dozen or so coaches since starting playing regularly from June(?), who I have disliked – and simply will avoid in the future – those I like, I look out for to play again!
Manbush

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2007 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

This is my basic playing style:

I will make as many blocks as possible, and any players left over who can't block, blitz, foul or provide assists can worry about the ball. The only interest I have in scoring is to get SPP to get more skills to maim your players with, and the only reason I want to win is to increase my Fan Factor as that will increase my chances of getting the ref in later games.

If you like a good, bloody midpitch brawl, come fight me Smile

I put the liquor in the same bottle his and mine, and mine was at the bottom, and, sure, I was obliged to drink his to get at mine
Meech

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2007 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

First and foremost Acetriad gave me the greatest game I have EVER spectated. When he played Prinz I nearly wet myself laughing. Ace could do NOTHING wrong and Prinz couldn't get out of his own way. The commentary and the spectator chat was comedy gold. That game is the game that gave birth to the "LOOK OUT, A GIANT F****** TREE!"

I enjoy a good violent game, and I love a high flying, high scoring game. I WILL foul a prone player of yours if it will help ne win the game. I usually don't T16 foul, but I have before and I am sure I will again. I would never call someone a "jerk" for handing off the ball to someone with catch, so I don't get mad when someone uses DP.

There are some great coaches, and some coaches have a reputation that they don't really deserve. Try playing just about everyone. Even the coaches that are annoying in chat give you something to talk about. The only thing I recommend is chatting with your opponent. I find it a lot more enjoyable, (even when losing) to talk to someone. Oh, and feel free to talk trash with me.

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2007 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

The last time someone complained about luck, I said "It's not luck, I am just a brilliant coach!" and laughed my ass off at the following rage. Instead of letting the other coach bring me down with the "wah, wah, you are so lucky!" rant, I like to irritate them instead.

As for playing style, I consider it to be a good game, if there is at least one crowdpush. I really should have made a crowdpush count for my games.
Nemeton

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2007 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:

I like that definition of how you view games on fumbbl - it is more or less the opposite of mine.

I view my team as more important than a win against you.

Which is why I prefere to play against teams with only a few MB, Claw and RSC, and no DPs. And it is also why I never foul - because I hate it done to my team it would be wrong to do it against somebody else's team Wink
Meech

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2007 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Nemeton wrote:
Synn wrote:

I like that definition of how you view games on fumbbl - it is more or less the opposite of mine.

Which is why I prefere to play against teams with only a few MB, Claw and RSC, and no DPs. And it is also why I never foul - because I hate it done to my team it would be wrong to do it against somebody else's team Wink

I have no problem with that play style either. I think Fumbbl would be a lot less fun if people were forced to play a certain way.

Synn wrote:

Nemeton wrote:

I view my fun as more important than your team or my team.