80 coaches online • Server time: 22:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Forteza

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2007 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

As I started playing BB on fumbbl I played every challenge and got beaten right out. I had to retire several reams because they were fouled to death. Then I started what some might be calling cherrypicking and avoided DPs (Yes I was afraid that a pixel player with DP would kill my pixels). However as I found out later, you dont get many games if you are not playing against DPs and I found out that if you are just playing well, the fouls dont hurt that much. I included a DP in my own team but he has been of no use. 9 DP assisted fouls later and not one casualty. He has been sent of several times leaving me outnumbered. I must be doing something wrong!

So instead of just laughing about how evil it is to kill or how nasty fouling is, it might be possible to discuss how you use DPs and fouling effectively, especially on a team where the main focus is on the ball.
Silver

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2007 - 10:48 Reply with quote Back to top

...now Im really curious what answers and comments you will recieve... :p

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2007 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn is an effective fouler. Gitzbang is another one.
Spec some of their games. They play to win and not just to kill, but their positioning is optimal and their fouling technique is brutally effective.

You might learn something.

ps: if I happen to be online, I play with no DP in ranked, so feel free to drop me a line ^___^
pps: yes, I play without DP and Synn kicks my ass on a regular basis ^___^

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2007 - 11:03 Reply with quote Back to top

You need many assists (that is player next tp the downed player, not in the tackle zone of any opponents. This is because everyone of them ads 1 to your armour roll. If you dont beat armour with this (2d6+number of assists), your DP skill is used to beat armour (+3). If you dont use the DP skill in this armour roll. then you can ad those +3 to the injury roll instead, thus more likely to hurt the fouled player.

First time you foul, you are ejected on a roll of 6. After that the ref. keeps a closer eye on your team and further fouls will be noticed on a roll of 4+. Avoid this unless you have many more players than the opponent and have the DP skill. If however the opponent fouls you after you fouled him, the ref keeps his eyes on the other team and so on.

The most basic defence against fouling is to never send any key players of alone. They will get swarmed and fouled.

To summarize: Foul when you are many against one, and as someone said somewhere else, like a surgeon, not a clubber. That is foul the move10 gutterrunner and not the zombie rookie lineman.

One more thing:

It should be written in the rulebook that "downed werewolfs MUST be fouled.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2007 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

kemimutt wrote:
It should be written in the rulebook that "downed werewolfs MUST be fouled.

Three players must be fouled no matter what: Werewolves, Wardancers and Oneturners.

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2007 - 11:07 Reply with quote Back to top

But if you are afraid of your pixels getting killed, you should not learn how to foul, because the opponent will also foul you, and your best pixels will get killed. Instead, read any one of the hundreds of how to deal with fouling threads.

To learn not to fear the death of pixels, play a while in stunty! No better place to learn how to deal with death!
Stormbringer

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2007 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

It's quite simple. As long as you didn't get the ref or got the bribe the ref handicap you should only foul the player(s) that help the opposition the most and only if you have a few assists so chances are that the +2 will be used for the injury roll. Foul only if the eye of the ref is not on you or chances of getting sent off will be 50%. This changes if you have several Dirty Players, a tactic often used by Undead, Necros, Khemri, Vamps and Norse and sometimes by any team that has only few viable skill choices for their linemen. If your tactic relies on Dirty Players removing the opposition, well, then you should foul every turn with a few assists. If a cheap player gets sent off and the fouled positional gets ko'd or injured, it's usually your gain.

There are a few catches. If the oppo doesn't have a Dirty Player and got the Ref you can usually stop him from fouling simply by dragging the refs eye on you. That way if the oppo fouls you can foul back with a DP and again only 1/6 chance of getting sent off. Just threaten to foul to prevent the opposition from fouling and taking the eye away from you.

Stormbringer

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2007 - 11:17 Reply with quote Back to top

or you can just be like me - you get the ref and cannot down a single guy for four turns Very Happy

but beware kemimutt is right the horrible pixel death might meet your favourite guys Sad

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2007 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Dont worry about pixel death, it was only in the start now I dont care if they die as Im just getting a lower TR and will be facing weaker teams. Im past being afraid of pixeldeath, even though I am not planning on being a multifouler.
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2007 - 11:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Something a few people seem to forget that if your players are standing next to opposing players they don't lend assists + every un-marked opposing player next to your fouler will add a -1 to the armour roll.

You may very well know this but some people actually seem to have missed this rule as they despise fouling on principal and thus haven't bothered to read the rules on it.
Wizard

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2007 - 11:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I just want to get on the front page of a soon-to-be 23 page forum topic
you could make this a lot easier and less painful by scanning through the archives, there wont be anything new to say on this one..

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2007 - 11:47 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=731136

This says it all on Wizard, tho Wink Look the replay for more information about pointless fouling.

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2007 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

A year off and im already a fan with the regs. Mmm.. nice style there Jan.
Attempted discredit of coach based on 1 game with team that said coach is no good with.
Your all jazz.

Oh, and come back when your coach rating is within 10 points of mine and i might play against you for the .10 that will get added to mine...

uumm.. what was the topic again?

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2007 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Fact: You're a better coach than me (CR says so, and we know CR is quite accurate unless you heavily rely on cherrypicking, which we don't seem to - no irony here)

Fact: I was pretty lucky to get away with a win.

Fact: still, the replay perfectly shows that legendary "unnecessary fouling" we all hear about.

Fact: All these fouling threads are not caused by foulers, but by the attitude towards fouling that you can see in the replay. Without THAT way of fouling, the "problem" of fouling threads wouldn't even exist.

Just that.
As for facing you again, I have no problem with that if you agree on leaving your spite off the door should I win 2-0 again. You know, I play for fun, which includes RIPS, niggles, Tds, fumbles but not spite. I leave spite and hatred for fouling threads Wink

oh, and ps: at the moment I write, I AM within 10 CR points Very Happy

Post   Posted: Feb 14, 2007 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Fact: playing blood bowl is unnecessary.
Fact: fouling every turn just because you know your opponent doesn't want you to is golden.

Well, if me and Jan haven't killed this forum with our bitching at each other nothing will
*prays*