22 coaches online • Server time: 01:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How will you cast your vote for your favorite Wardancer?
Via the boot!
28%
 28%  [ 47 ]
I'll toss a rock.
12%
 12%  [ 21 ]
With a mighty blow.
11%
 11%  [ 18 ]
Doesn't anyone pile on anymore?
14%
 14%  [ 24 ]
Just claw your way to victory!
8%
 8%  [ 14 ]
How about a PIE to the face???
23%
 23%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 163

SillySod

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2008 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the act of making games fairer should benefit more people who are lower down the food chain, most of whom are "lesser" coaches.

I can see your point that its purely about fair, but for different people this is relative and I'm in favour of giving them a small leg up.

By the way, some of you might be interested in this theory of sport and certain scoring systems... I'll explain it a bit later.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
nin

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2008 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

a cuple of days out... back Very Happy

First, about the topick:
"a small leg up" to lower CR coaches may be a good idea, but I think the initial discusion was more on the lines of "bonnus for challenging games" (or "beware of cherripicking")
I'm a "Proud member of the E.L.F."
Nowadays that means that I'm proud and I'm member of the E.L.F. (instead of because... I still like the group, that's why I kkep the signature)
I would like to be proud of the winners and the matches they got their points by.
And I would like to look at my own matches at the end of the Season, check wich ones had the highest score and remember how good those games were.

Now changes in the scoring sistem:
I like spectacular games, with high scores and many casualties (5+ touchs bonus) may be lower bonus
I like shows of good tactic. With elves that has to do mostly with defensive play (0 touchs allowed bonus) may be lower bonus
I like tournaments (bonus for tournament play) do not rise it, some people can't play scheduled
I like feats of daring (bonus for playing against teams with higher TS than yours, probably 10+ at least)
I like tough games (for that, TS doesn't cover all, and CR is the only other thing number we have... so bonus for playing high CR coaches, may be 160+)

The bonuses should be balanced to encourage the kind of games more in line with the group spirit (work for pizzamogul Twisted Evil )

Note to SilliSod:
Making cherripicking less appealing will (imho) benefit the less skilled/competitive coaches (a bit)
To "leg them up" a bit more, there could be a little bonus for playing against higher CR (note also that all those bonuses I suggest are for "playing", not "winning", that could be changed, but this one should be for "playing" not for winning)

Note2:
I don't like penalties or limits, tweacking the bonuses is a better option imho.
One reason is that CR is not a very good measure of skill, and TS is good, but it isn't perfect.
Sometimes your team is at the bottom of gamefinder Razz
DanTitan76

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2008 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I will be joining for next season, where should I go?
nin

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2008 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

DanTitan76 wrote:
I will be joining for next season, where should I go?

here at the bottom is an application button.
(the whole thread must be full of links to the group page... my signature for example... and all ao pizzamogul's posts Wink )
clarkin

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2008 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I understand it will be a few weeks at least before pizzamogul starts the next season. He may also be tweaking the points structure.

Keep an eye on this thread and the group page (linked by nin there)
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2008 - 00:56 Reply with quote Back to top

clarkin wrote:
I understand it will be a few weeks at least before pizzamogul starts the next season. He may also be tweaking the points structure.

Keep an eye on this thread and the group page (linked by nin there)

Okay. My 2007 accounting is finally done and in the hands of my C.P.A. So I can finally turn my attention back to making changes in the E.L.F.

I prolly would have started another season by now, but with the calls for change it will take a bit of time to get everything in place. Thank you for your patience.

I've read and reread the suggestions in this thread and am weighing all the options. I'm also thinking about what the ELF means to the coaches who participate and whether or not its stated 'mission' is still relevant on Fumbbl. This is a tougher question for me as the current commissioner of the league and one I'm struggling with... a question of direction I guess.

I'll post a fresh discussion thread with my plans early next week. Also, I'll bug Clarkin to program as soon as I'm sure I want to make whatever changes I work out. After that, I'll schedule and run a short season to iron out any bugs.

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2008 - 15:13 Reply with quote Back to top

pizzamogul wrote:
I've read and reread the suggestions in this thread and am weighing all the options. I'm also thinking about what the ELF means to the coaches who participate and whether or not its stated 'mission' is still relevant on Fumbbl.

Great, I'll wait for that before suggesting anything then. I'd like state one opinion beforehand though: some of the suggestions in this thread I have found to be overly complicated. Keeping the scoring system simple is key to success. You don't want to feel like you need a C.P.A. for this as well. Wink
 Jump to: