34 coaches online • Server time: 01:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cataphract

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2003 - 04:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I like the 7/8 system too. It's only problem is that ST teams, I think, are more likely to win by 2 or more TDs than AG teams are to win the CAS war.

I dunno... if we want to take SWL as a microcosm the gentlemen the undead team have had the same number of casualties as their oponents in most of their games. including skaven. and have won 1 game by more than 2 TD and that was against an orc team.

in the last NAF sactioned toiurney I played in they used the 7 point system... skaven were the team to come out with most casualties!

playing as an orc team in that tournament I lost the cas count to skaven and lizardmen I drew with dark elves, dwarfs, amazons and I beat dwarves and orcs...

one game I won by more than 1 td and that was against dwarves...

I also won the tournament...

so a good orc player, not to be conceited or anything. lost the cas count to skaven and lizardmen and only drew with dark elves and amazons... and I foul and hire a chainsaw whenever I can... honestly winning the cas count isn't difficult for ag teams... the fact that we play games, in open, by TR/STR rather than by a schedule skews opinions on teams...

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2003 - 04:53 Reply with quote Back to top

The Twahnlows themselves are, of course, only for the Premiership! No scummy Regionals! <shudder> Razz
I'm just saying that if the Regionals want to run their own Seasonal MVP awards, I need help to do it.

Would people like to see the front runners in the Twahnlows now? Or shall we leave it to awards night? Smile

DonTwahn's Dungeon = Cheap Miniatures! Check it out...
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2003 - 05:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I think they should be published, but remain hidden 3 rnds out from conclusion!
neverborn

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2003 - 05:06 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity, those of us that can add will be able to figure out who is winning

Also twahn, i think we need to lobby christer to get him to allow people running comps to give prizes to people who win and things like that.

I think it would add heaps to the comp, give money to promoted teams, a +1 av helmet to the winner of the twahnlow, stuff like that.
cataphract

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2003 - 05:50 Reply with quote Back to top

or trophy rerolls

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2003 - 06:09 Reply with quote Back to top

We can all add Neverborn, its just that some of us choose not to... Smile
Twahn

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2003 - 06:33 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
I think they should be published, but remain hidden 3 rnds out from conclusion!

Nah. That'll be too easy to work out... I'll keep 'em secret and if you really care you can go through every match report, figure out which ones I chose at random (usually my guys), and count those Twahnlow votes.

cat wrote:
or trophy rerolls

We can simulate this by forcing all team who don't win to lose a reroll? Wink
FLo711

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2003 - 07:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

We can simulate this by forcing all team who don't win to lose a reroll?

Brilliant!!! I love it! What an Idea!

Andy we can have cash prizes by forcing all other teams to hire new players and them retire them straight away! Razz

Twhanloes?? What about the Twally Ms? Am I the only NRL fan here?
Good idea, but why do get the sinking feeling that its gonna be one of 'Mr Swans Boys' who gets the gong? Wink
Im 100% sure it wont be any damned smelly norse lineman!

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2003 - 08:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Flo,

Spot on mate... NRL all the way! Twally M's! Or how about "Vladim O's" after the first person who will win it... hehe Smile

PS - see you guys, I'm on a flight to Brisbane in 3 hrs for a weekend of Beer, Wallabies, Beer and then some more beer... at the RWC.

Won't be back until late Sunday night!

Cheers,
Clay
vigil

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2003 - 09:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Any chance of a posthumous mention in the Twahnlows?

Mina Harker.. *sniff* You served your team well.
Tath

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2003 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

cataphract wrote:
Quote:

I like the 7/8 system too. It's only problem is that ST teams, I think, are more likely to win by 2 or more TDs than AG teams are to win the CAS war.

I dunno... if we want to take SWL as a microcosm the gentlemen the undead team have had the same number of casualties as their oponents in most of their games. including skaven. and have won 1 game by more than 2 TD and that was against an orc team.

in the last NAF sactioned toiurney I played in they used the 7 point system... skaven were the team to come out with most casualties!

playing as an orc team in that tournament I lost the cas count to skaven and lizardmen I drew with dark elves, dwarfs, amazons and I beat dwarves and orcs...

one game I won by more than 1 td and that was against dwarves...

I also won the tournament...

so a good orc player, not to be conceited or anything. lost the cas count to skaven and lizardmen and only drew with dark elves and amazons... and I foul and hire a chainsaw whenever I can... honestly winning the cas count isn't difficult for ag teams... the fact that we play games, in open, by TR/STR rather than by a schedule skews opinions on teams...

i supoe the key here really is that to define all teams as either ST or AG based, and try to find a balanced scoring system will inevtiably lead to imbalance ... certainly there are teams who focus more so on ST and other who focus more so on AG, with perhaps the majority somewhere in between.

i think the only real discussion then perhaps will come down to the reasons behind the different scoring systems ... ie will the issues of similar scores from a 3-1-0 in a full 7 round comp, be more impactful than the problems of real/percieved imbalances of a more complex system (7 or 8 point systems) ? ie is the only reason of using the more complex system to mitigate the eventualities of too many teams on equal footing ? or is there other important reasons ?

onto more important matters, when is this likely to start ? after the current season finishes ? will we start from scratch then ? who will get what teams ? etc, etc ...

cheers Smile looking forward to it regardless of the scoring system.
RIPNE1

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2003 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

i think the only real discussion then perhaps will come down to the reasons behind the different scoring systems ... ie will the issues of similar scores from a 3-1-0 in a full 7 round comp, be more impactful than the problems of real/percieved imbalances of a more complex system (7 or 8 point systems) ? ie is the only reason of using the more complex system to mitigate the eventualities of too many teams on equal footing ? or is there other important reasons ?

I think the point of the 7 point system is, as mentioned before, to give and appropriately reward grades of success. you get more points if you beat your oponent soundly and less points for a more narrow win. also you still get points if you loose. there's nothing more frustrating than to have a narrow loss and get nothing for it! if you manage to only loose by a single touchdown and beat your opponent in casualty count you'll get 3 of the 7 available points.
Rennigeb

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2003 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Why not also have points for the team that has the most pass completions so the agile teams are accomodated for? Or most number of thrown team mates so halflings get a chance for points? Why give points for one aspect of the game and not others?

All of these are actions towards the purpose of winning. The only way to truly represent major/ minor victory is by possession %, and this can only be manually calculated.

The benefit of causing casualties is the damage it can have on the team's future games. A high casualty count on a team reduces their chance to win the next game, so the inflicting team gets the advantage of maybe gaining torunament points on the victim in the following round.

This 7/8 point system encourages a bash team to focus on creating casualties.
Consider these two teams (A being a bash side, B D & C being a normal sides):
Game 1: A vs B
A focuses on trying to inflict as many casualties as possible, while ignoring the scoreline.
Outcome, B has a (say) couple of players missing next match but does win.
A gets 3 points, B get 4 points.
Game 2: A vs C, B vs D
A again focuses on damage, gets 3 points.
B's crippled team has a lesser chance of winning, and gets minimum points 1

Net after 2 rounds
A has 6 points, B has 4.
Just continue this system through the season and you'll end up in the higher half of the table. Add in the occasional actual win or draw, and you have a finals contender.
neverborn

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2003 - 02:16 Reply with quote Back to top

thats why i think 8 point system is better, by winning (as in the above example) the score would be 5-3 to the ag team who wins by less than 2 TD

hence winning is still the main focus with CAS being a minor side show.

Also, there arent too many games when a player will suffer 3-4 SI+'s and cant use an apoth... if it does happen its probably due to extreme bad luck of bad tactics!
Rennigeb

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2003 - 03:10 Reply with quote Back to top

A bashing side moulded to focus on casualties instead of winning will very likely cause 2+ injuries in a game.
Just focus skills towards PO and MB and watch the casualties climb. With each injury reducing the chances of the victim winning the next game, this creates a double blow to the victim.
 Jump to: