85 coaches online • Server time: 21:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Fudge

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I was wondering if there are more people out there that feel like me tat wizards ruing the game.

I feel that wizards do nothing for the game, but infact damges it by adding an element to the game that is unbalanced and chaotic.

Sure bothplayers can have them you say, but still you can have built up the advatage in the game with some good tactics and then a lightningbollt ( for instance ) comes and robbes you of your turn ( by knockng the ballcarrier down ) and perhaps getting a bunch of players of the field.

That to me is not fun it ruins the fun of playing and having to build up tactics and play well to winn instead of zapping half the opponents team with magic.

I feel that the wizards belong in warhammer and not bloodbowl.

In local tournaments and games we always ignore the wizards and don´t use them because every one i have talked to ( so far ) have found the wizards to be damageing to the game.

Now i would like to get a feel of your opinions.
Franz

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 13:45 Reply with quote Back to top

The wizards are changed since the 3rd ediction of game.
Now you can use them only at the start of your own turn, not in your oppenent one.
Rampage76

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Agree
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

and its in the LRB so it has to be implemented as this is a LRB compliant site...
Twahn

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

They're still no good I reckon, but FUMBBL has always stated that it attempts to stick with the LRB rules as much as is possible. If you don't use them in your local tournaments, play in a Tournament of like minded people here on FUMBBL.

DonTwahn's Dungeon = Cheap Miniatures! Check it out...
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 14:06 Reply with quote Back to top

well the fireball might persuade some elfy teams to play dwarves and orcs a bit more since they can break cages more easily... and its good for everyone...

PS: when is the bomber making his appearance??? Smile
Gitzbang

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Who would seriously consider paying 50k for some lucky shot at AV 9 guys that prolly will emerge unscathed and still win the game by pounding all puny elves away? Wizards might be nice when used in the right situation, but they are rather expensive, too, so i don't see them coming that often.
Fudge

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes but used at the right moment they are game winners since it most often is enough to get some guys knocked down esapessially the ball carrier.
Jezlad

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 14:23 Reply with quote Back to top

You've hit the nail right on the head there Fudge mate. I've gotta agree with you, infact I said pretty much the same thing in the chat and to be honest I dont plan on playing any team fielding a wizard unless its during Fumbbl Cup on my way to lifting the trophy. They suck bad! Wink
Bretter

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 14:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Gotta disagree with you Fudge It. The new rules make them much less game breakers than before. At best, it gives your team a chance to score 1 defensive TD. If you can't bounce back from that, then your prolly as bad a coach as me Wink

But just like most skills, players, tems, etc... this is something that timing becomes critical. And Brownrob ni has it right. This is a big boost for agility teams to play those mean nasty strength teams.

Of course, I'm sure that this same arguement will come up with handicaps.
Colin

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 14:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Part of the success of some teams in both FUMBBL Cups so far was which teams had access to the best Star Players for the semis and finals - 3 Chaos Dwarf teams and a Chaos team (all the CDs hired Hthark) was the end result. I remember thinking ahead to what I could freeboot for my High Elves if I got the chance, and Prince Moron (one of the worst Stars in the game) was all I could have chosen.

My feeling about Wizards is that they are no worse than Star Players, and will only be used by coaches in the same way as Star Players, to win a vital game. I do wonder if there will be a tournament option do ban wizards? Some tourney ops will definately want it.

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Since wizards can be hired only, this could be a good trick to keep the tr/strenght ratio low in middle and high level teams.

When your roster is full, the money coming from winnings keep the tr high without a real improvement for the team.

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Well i feel that the are actually ruining, it for teams that has to make the come backs, for instance you can keep the wiz in a defencive possition and even if your opponent sucessfully screens you off so you realiaticly can´t get to the ball carrier he just has to lightnigbolt him and the ball is loose ( if the baolt succedes of course ).

I agree this is a big bost for the fast and high ag teams because the can score fast, but for the slower teams it can be devestating to loose the ball to the ground where a swift high ag guy picks it up and makes a getaway.

I just don´t like the fact that something so blunt that requires very little skill ( if any, not to hard to see when to use the wiz ) can ruin a good tactial advancment on the field out any effort.

And i´m not to fond of strplayers either but them i can live with bcause they still deply as everybody else and has to manouvre and make block and dodge like every one else so the can be dealt with, but a wiz just goes around those restrictions and zaps where it is best needed even though the opponet coach it tacticly supperior ( ot in some cases luck or what ever ), and has gone to great effoert to make it as hard as possoible for you to get to the ball carrier and the wiz can just target him from the sidelines.

This to me is the problem that he can intefere and destroy a game plan without much risk or effort any where on the field no matter how much you protect or screen or think ahead.
dinaturz

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to agree about the frustration of seeing your ball carrier, running alone towards the glory, blown up by a fireball.

It simply ruins the game.
I lost my last match like this.
After a match full of ugly 1s and skulls (from my side only... Sad ), we were 1:0 for my opponent, 6th turn of second half and one player of mine with ball ready to score at next turn (ok, she was not alone, but at least had the chance to save the day...).
Air temperature lifted at once and my amazon thrown away.
Not fair at all.

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2003 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Great to finally see Wizards. Bring the Cards back and it might start to feel like Blood Bowl again.
 Jump to: