51 coaches online • Server time: 18:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Welcome Newcomers - ...goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Kill the Rookie SMACKs off for good?
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 45 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 57 ]
Total Votes : 102

Enar

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2008 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Either remove rookie smack, or remove RRR.. Keeping both is rather pointless.
Lill-Leif

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2008 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not pointless as long as people enjoy them and play them. Noone forces you to take part in rookie smacks so just go throw your dices elsewhere..
Enar

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2008 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

So you agree with me? They just compete with each other for no reason, and currently it seems RRR has been more or less abandoned. Also, I never understood the point of having two Rookie tournaments, but perhaps the fool is me...
Peter_Thorpe

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2008 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

the thing is some people do use the rookie smacks as a test of skill against teams they cannot decide (Blackbox would create the same)
and in some cases they keep the teams they won with, i for one kepy my final champions when they won their rookie smack (to be honest i revived the rookie smack as before V it hadnt been played for nearly 15 months, so im directly to blame for this)

but it is very true that alot, and i mean ALOT, frontload teams to have some fun with no intention to keep the players, its sad, it really is
now i personally would like to see...say a minimum FF for teams entering, but that would do NOTHING to stop the frontloading

so, for the only tournament in ranked to ever give me a minor win (the only win in my 3 year carrear) i must say that rookie smacks have to go
its sad, but theyve lost there worth, RRR is far better in both skill needed and prize

Last edited by Peter_Thorpe on %b %04, %2008 - %22:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Gargunki

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2008 - 22:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I came back to fumbbl after long hiatus and played in a rookie smack against a 2FF team that was retired after it lost. It is lame and a waste but now I know to fight fire with fire... disposable teams I care nothing about FTW!
pingus

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2008 - 22:49 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
If you don't like them don't play.

Don't take away other people's fun because you prefer to do something else.

Totally agree. Smile
RRR is fine, but quick minor is sth different than RRR. Also there are situations, where 8 people want to play SMACK, but can't find suiting bracket, then rookie is a good option as everybody has or can have rookie team.

Leave them!
Aargh

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2008 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I've only ever played in 1 Rookie Smack, but I don't see any reason to remove them. Lots of people like them, and if you don't like them, you can simply not play them.

Yes, people creating a frontloaded team just to play a Smack is a bit annoying, but I don't see why this is a reason to get rid of Rookie Smack alltogether. If you don't want to face such a team, simply play normal [R] games and cherrypick teams you do want to play until you qualify for a Smack you do like.

In the most extreme case, you could set a minimum FF limit for Rookie Smacks, but I really don't see why that would be necessary.
PhrollikK

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2008 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej wrote:
When you don't want people conceding in smacks make rules about that instead of getting rid of smacks.

Isn't there already a rule for this!? I remember reading somewhere that if your SMACK game needs conceding then you get a 2 SMACK ban or somesuch. Please enlighten me. Also, if there is a rule, is it enforced? ie. the buggers who flooded the first round of FUMBBL Cup with loads of concessions. Should they not get punished for keeping the rest of us out? Rolling Eyes

Enar wrote:
So you agree with me? They just compete with each other for no reason, and currently it seems RRR has been more or less abandoned.

Oh it is active. Every new team I create I enter the RRR with. I think it a great way of getting the first game or two in with new teams. I think more ppl should do so. Not just create frontloaded low FF teams for a single tourney. It detracts from the fun imho.

SillySod

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2008 - 03:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually I dont really mind rookie smacks, they dont really take too much away from RRRs because people use them for two different things (quick bit of fun, and starting a team). I have to say that I much prefer Rookie SFCs though because they give you a chance to bump-start your new team through a full four games (something the RRR dosent garuntee) while restricting frontloading enough to give you a sporting chance of winning.

Personally I'd abolish rookie smacks and all non-rookie SFCs.... but then again thats just down to my preferences.

PhrollikK wrote:
Rijssiej wrote:
When you don't want people conceding in smacks make rules about that instead of getting rid of smacks.

Isn't there already a rule for this!? I remember reading somewhere that if your SMACK game needs conceding then you get a 2 SMACK ban or somesuch. Please enlighten me. Also, if there is a rule, is it enforced? ie. the buggers who flooded the first round of FUMBBL Cup with loads of concessions. Should they not get punished for keeping the rest of us out? Rolling Eyes

Check out the latest news post Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Ameranth

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2008 - 04:24 Reply with quote Back to top

There's nothing wrong with Rookie Smacks that can't be fixed by what I've been advocating for years. Ban Stars from Rookie.

Aside from the fact that it's supposed to be a game for rookies, not an All-Star game, there's also the fact that without needing to reserve cash for a star for 3 games you'll see normal teams entering again instead of 11 Linos and Count Luthor.

I'd also suggest that only true rookie teams are allowed. No more experienced teams that dropped to 8-10 players in order to bring skilled players to the game. Even a few blodgers or a DP can be unbalancing vs a true rookie team.
Vanguard

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2008 - 08:57 Reply with quote Back to top

i sum it up:
ban dwarfs teams
ban undead
ban khemri
ban ff 8 or less teams
ban stars

anything else ?

i hope some know dota, there was the best sentence i have ever heared.
counter imba with imba.
same is here, dwarfs are too strong at the start ? counter it with khemri, these counter with undead with count and these you counter with dwarfs.
(just as simple i can say it Smile )
BeeRTRuCK

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2008 - 09:05 Reply with quote Back to top

rookie smacks give rookie players a chance to test the waters in the smack environment before they sacrafice one of their teams that they have spent countless hours playing, not winning many and finally skilling a team, only to have in fouled out of existance by dorfs game 1.

Dont ban rookie smacks ban coaches over 155 from playing them Smile
f0rd

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2008 - 09:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Try to enjoy your own stay here as much as you can and don´t bother trying to limit other peoples ways how they enjoy themselves. If people enjoy frontloading teams and play rookie smacks then let them, if you dont then you are free not to.

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2008 - 10:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, then I guess I'm talking out of my hat. I'll stop that. Smile

PhrollikK wrote:
Rijssiej wrote:

Enar wrote:
So you agree with me? They just compete with each other for no reason, and currently it seems RRR has been more or less abandoned.

Oh it is active. Every new team I create I enter the RRR with. I think it a great way of getting the first game or two in with new teams. I think more ppl should do so. Not just create frontloaded low FF teams for a single tourney. It detracts from the fun imho.
:
Chewie

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2008 - 10:19 Reply with quote Back to top

f0rd wrote:
Try to enjoy your own stay here as much as you can and don´t bother trying to limit other peoples ways how they enjoy themselves. If people enjoy frontloading teams and play rookie smacks then let them, if you dont then you are free not to.

It might be just me having a bad week, but that post stinks of hypocrisy.

Surely, the enjoyment of those who don't want to frontload teams in rookie smacks is being limited?

By saying "Don't enter them if you don't like it" f0rd puts forward the best reason for getting rid of rookie smacks... those who do frontload and cheese out tournament wins will keep on doing so, and the rest of us can go rot, for all they care - we MUST NOT limit their enjoyment.

Just rename them the Cheese Smack and leave them to it... at least those that don't want to be lamers will know to avoid it.
 Jump to: