30 coaches online • Server time: 11:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Gritter

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 10:22 Reply with quote Back to top

As a neutral spec i think the tourny would be better for a redraw.
I also think those who who forgot to apply should have all their players given bonehead for the duration of the 1st round though!
Uberskiller

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 10:25 Reply with quote Back to top

lol
Melmoth

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Uberskillers suggest is good...still unfair as Teams that are in would be thrown out. I would say: Include the 4 teams that did not apply and make it 32. Fill the spots with finalists or more lottery. The only way to get those 4 teams in, not steal the spot from teams that won a lottery spot and not do some nasty filler stuff.
Leijonet

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree that it is a shame that four experienced coaches didn't care enough to remember to apply to the WO, despite there being a clear newspost about it for all to see. Should there be a redraw? No. If people can't follow simple instructions then maybe this is just the thing that is needed to shake them up a bit.

It's really sad that On1, Pigstar, Fischerking and Cloggy didn't remember to apply, but that isn't PCs fault. He said before what was going to happen to teams that didn't apply, and now they do. Shocker! The WO is poorer for it, but that's the fault of the missing coaches, not the tournament administrator. If you have any blame to lay down, make sure you put it at the right door.

Leijonet -Winging justice since 6/9-08
Uberskiller

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 10:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Leijonet, the intention of the vast majority of the posts here wasnt to blame anyone. It is very clear that PC announced that they had to apply. Still 4 coaches missed it - that's a strong arguement for a misunderstanding. That doesnt mean that it's PC's fault then - but it does mean that these 4 coaches maybe made "just" a minor mistake (i.e.: not reading that news-article).

There are 2 choices now:
a) Punish these 4 for a minor mistake and have a less exciting major.
b) Excuse the minor mistake of these 4, make a re-draw and have a very exciting high-classed tournament.

Again: It is neither about blaming PC for any mistakes (as he did none!), nor about asking to undo any mistakes PC made (as he did none!) - it is about our spectating-joy, it is about a thrilling major-tournament, it is about competitiveness - in total: it is about fun. That's why I (and i guess the others) encourage a re-draw.
PeteW

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Lol. I would like a re-draw since 7 of the top half in TS teams are in my side of the qualifier, whilst 7 of the bottom TS teams are on the other side. Sad

My team is so gonna die.... Be gentle Ali!

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 10:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Uberskiller wrote:
Leijonet, the intention of the vast majority of the posts here wasnt to blame anyone. It is very clear that PC announced that they had to apply. Still 4 coaches missed it - that's a strong arguement for a misunderstanding. That doesnt mean that it's PC's fault then - but it does mean that these 4 coaches maybe made "just" a minor mistake (i.e.: not reading that news-article).

There are 2 choices now:
a) Punish these 4 for a minor mistake and have a less exciting major.
b) Excuse the minor mistake of these 4, make a re-draw and have a very exciting high-classed tournament.

Again: It is neither about blaming PC for any mistakes (as he did none!), nor about asking to undo any mistakes PC made (as he did none!) - it is about our spectating-joy, it is about a thrilling major-tournament, it is about competitiveness - in total: it is about fun. That's why I (and i guess the others) encourage a re-draw.

My apologies if I came across as grumpy, maybe I just over-interpreted things from the previous posts.

You make a good argument, that the teams should be included for spectator enjoyment. However, the part where you claim the missing coaches just made a minor mistake by not reading the newspost is, imo, wrong, as you've always had to apply to the main event after winning a Major qualifier. This is simply the first time that there's been any consequences for the coaches who failed to do so, whereas earlier there have instead been extra work for the tournament administrators.
In this case
PurpleChest wrote:
...i lack the power to bring them in without admin assistance.

Earlier the administrator was also an admin, and could fix this. This time PC could not, and had taken extra steps to insure that people applied by writing a newspost about it.

I still say that it's too bad for the spectators and too bad for the coaches who missed out, but maybe this will make people remember for next time? And besides, the teams that were drawn in the lottery obviously have the Luck of Thirteen on their side, and can provide ample entertainment in their own right Smile

Leijonet -Winging justice since 6/9-08
Calador

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 11:02 Reply with quote Back to top

There can be all kinds of reasons why people forgot to apply to the main group.
Main thing here is that qualifiers seem pretty pointless if 4 out of 13 aren't even allowed to compete in the main tournament because they forgot to apply.

To me, it's a pretty sad Major if this isn't going to be changed.
Uberskiller

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 11:09 Reply with quote Back to top

That "punish the boneheads"-argument is totally valid, too.

I never participated in a major, so I had no idea if before they had to apply or not. So maybe you're right and it wasnt a minor mistake then.

Considering "re-draw" vs. "no re-draw" I would still argue that a major has to be filled with fumbbls-finest and not with 7 (out of 16!) random teams. Still I would accept if PC would make another choice as it would be reasonable, too.

... dont wanna walk in PC's shoes right now Wink (... although I'd take his CR! Razz)
SillySod

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 11:19 Reply with quote Back to top

The 7 random teams arent any old teams. One of them was a losing finalist (possibly more but at least one) and the rest were all strong teams in their own right. Not as strong as some of the four which got left out but they probably have some suprises for us.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Qaz

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds so easy with a redraw don’t it? But let’s think of what other issues it brings onto the table.

First to spring to my mind is scheduling. Warpstone ends march 4. And then UI begins. If we redraw then we push the whole schedule this will affect other majors. This can have an impact on XFL as well as they normally try to avoid the starting dates for major qualifiers.

If we shorten the round the coaches that are in the main draw might suffer and complain that they don’t have enough time. Shortening rounds in tournaments has been done before in Scheduled smack over Xmas but that was well announced before the start of the actual tournaments so the coaches joining knew (or let’s say should know (pun indented)) what they joined. Should the rest who applied in time suffer for the four really good coaches who did not?

When we start changing things around it will have an impact.

The rules were laid and said out loud. Will it be a less exciting major? Perhaps. Will it not be exciting? NO WAY. Enjoy the quality coaches who are in it instead.

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

As one of the coaches affected by this I can only say that it is always and singularly the responsibility of the coaches themselves to read the rules.

Obviously I'm extremely dissapointed by the fact that I will not be participating, but given the fact that no admin support was available I really don't see any better way to solve our absence than the one chosen by Purplechest and his staff.

In short: doodoo happens Crying or Very sad

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I suggest giving PC the power to draw coaches in before the next tournament, solves all "misunderstandings" about applying.
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 11:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Qaz wrote:
Sounds so easy with a redraw don’t it? But let’s think of what other issues it brings onto the table.

First to spring to my mind is scheduling. Warpstone ends march 4. And then UI begins. If we redraw then we push the whole schedule this will affect other majors. This can have an impact on XFL as well as they normally try to avoid the starting dates for major qualifiers.

If we shorten the round the coaches that are in the main draw might suffer and complain that they don’t have enough time. Shortening rounds in tournaments has been done before in Scheduled smack over Xmas but that was well announced before the start of the actual tournaments so the coaches joining knew (or let’s say should know (pun indented)) what they joined. Should the rest who applied in time suffer for the four really good coaches who did not?

When we start changing things around it will have an impact.

The rules were laid and said out loud. Will it be a less exciting major? Perhaps. Will it not be exciting? NO WAY. Enjoy the quality coaches who are in it instead.

If we redraw tonight aren't we only a day behind? We should be able to make that up.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

and now punish 4 lawabiding people who are happy they got in because 4 others did not follow the rules

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
 Jump to: