13 coaches online • Server time: 08:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Itzi

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2004 - 07:54 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem, as I see it, with an open format like that for a tourney like this is it penalizes those of us with a real life.

Granted, that with my ability, I've got a snowball's chance of winning any tourny; If I'm playing against people that can lose every game they play but still rack up the points by being able to play three or four games every day or two... my chances just got that much smaller.

I like the RR format. I just wish people would actually finish a tourney they start.

It would be nice if we could have (along with a coach ranking) a rating that indicates how often you finish a tourney you start.

Itzi
Goblinux

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2004 - 08:03 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL poi666, you are right about cherry picking there. I like tourneys when they are round robin. Think this season was realy OK. We just have to seed those who failed to prove loyality. Mr. Green
Ug

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2004 - 08:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer a fixed schedule RR.
Barash

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2004 - 09:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Itzi wrote:
The problem, as I see it, with an open format like that for a tourney like this is it penalizes those of us with a real life.

I like the RR format. I just wish people would actually finish a tourney they start.

Amen... that's my opinion as well.. please stick to RR. Open will get coaches the opertunity to avoid certain teams. (Coaches will do that with open structures)

Maybe a penalty on points can work if someone is not playing the game as planned in RR? If both coaches don't get in touch with you: both coaches they get -5 points each: -10 points if one coach doesn't show up. So quitters will be visable with this system and can be easily avoided in the future.

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2004 - 22:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Very valid points... and thank you all.

Just some ideas for overcoming some of those concerns....

Cherry Picking... In order to qualify for a division advancement game at the end of the season (Apprentices and Adeptus) , or in order to qualify for the playoffs (Champion and Archon)... Your team MUST have played all other teams in your division. If no teams reach this qualification, deadline will be extended regularly until qulifications are met.

Itzi... doesn't matter if people can play 3 or 4 games a day... you can still only play each team in your division once.

Just a couple of ideas... but it sounds like most of you prefer the RR mode, so that will probably stick. Barash, I like your idea about the penalties, and will probably be adopting that next season. Great suggestion!

Okay, season 2 is over... I will be doing write-ups, and playoffs will officially open in about 6 hrs (when I have time to set it all up) Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2004 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Cherry Picking... In order to qualify for a division advancement game at the end of the season (Apprentices and Adeptus) , or in order to qualify for the playoffs (Champion and Archon)... Your team MUST have played all other teams in your division. If no teams reach this qualification, deadline will be extended regularly until qulifications are met.

That way the coaches with the teams noone wishes to play are just stuck Wink
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2004 - 01:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

your tournament sounds interesting and since I prefer real leagues more than open ones anyhow, I've decided to apply with a brand new team for next season's apprentice tourney. Cool
Willard73

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2004 - 03:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay Season 2 is final... and the results are as follows.

Campion League
1st place: Coach Majk, with Gralhk's Fellowship
2nd place: Coach Zsarts, with Chaos Scooters

Archon Conference
1st place: Coach Poi66, with Marvel
2nd place: Coach Goblinux, with Elders

All four of the above teams will be competing in this season's NUXBowl Playoff's!!! Good luck to all!

Also,

Adeptus Challenge Champs: Coach Ug, with Green Bay Packers 2003
Apprentice Tourney Champs: Coach Gonzorgg, with Plundering Vikings

Great season to all coaches! Let's have a fun playoffs, and prepare for NUX3!
Willard73

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2004 - 16:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, first round of the playoffs is over, and I must say... it was quite disappointing to see both
games end by forfeit. It was very difficult deciding the forfeits as well. I did not want to decide the
semi-finals by a coin flip... that just didn't seem right. So, what I did was looked at each coach's
individual performance during the regular season, looking at how many games they actually
played, vs the number of times their games were decided by forfeit. I'm sorry if this doesn't sound
fair, but I wanted the two coaches in the finals that played the most games during the regular season,
which (I'm hoping) will greatly reduce the chances that the championship game will end in forfeit. So let's
keep in mind during season 3... you chances to reach the championship game may be totally decided on how
many of your games you play during the season.
Zsarts

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2004 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Well, first round of the playoffs is over, and I must say... it was quite disappointing to see both
games end by forfeit. It was very difficult deciding the forfeits as well. I did not want to decide the
semi-finals by a coin flip... that just didn't seem right. So, what I did was looked at each coach's
individual performance during the regular season, looking at how many games they actually
played, vs the number of times their games were decided by forfeit. I'm sorry if this doesn't sound
fair, but I wanted the two coaches in the finals that played the most games during the regular season,
which (I'm hoping) will greatly reduce the chances that the championship game will end in forfeit. So let's
keep in mind during season 3... you chances to reach the championship game may be totally decided on how
many of your games you play during the season.

Jesus but how about looking at how many days my opponent haven't been online for (nearly 5 days now)?! Makes it kind of hard to play the game when he doesn't come online Sad I send you a PM as late as last night BB time about this matter.

Furthermore I have been keeping you informed all season through about people ignoring my PMs repeatedly - there by making it impossible for me to play the games.

Couldn't you at least have had a look at those two issues too? And taken that into concern as well?

Earlier I have stated my concern about this matter concerning people not showing up, not responding PMs etc also.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit harsh but I'm quite disappointed.

Regards

Zsarts
Willard73

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2004 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

For your information Zsarts... I did take those points into consideration.

I've been tracking which coaches have been logging in, which haven't, and how many days they've been out.
Yes, your opponent hasn't been on for the last 4 days... but you've had two weeks to get the game in! And,
You too went a few consecutive days without logging in either.

And yes, you've been keeping me informed all season about ppl ignoring your pm's, but your opponent also
kept me well informed during the season.

So, before you post publicly about how unfair I am, perhaps you should PM me, give me a chance to respond,
and find out my reasonings. You did PM me at 8:21 pm asking why I made that decision... but then posted
this at 8:33. Did you even wait for a response or explanation before jumping down my throat? So before you
assume that I hadn't even looked at all the issues at hand... I have. It was a hard decision to make, I knew
someone would be dissappointed, but I feel I made the right decision.

You were both offline for consecutive days here and there.... and you had both messaged me during the season
and kept me updated about match status... which left me with other things to look at. Sorry, but the fact is,
Goblinux played 6 of his 7 scheduled games with only 1 forfeit. You played only 3 matches with 4 forfeits. Now,
I understand that you may have had reasons for not getting those games in, and not all of them were your
fault... but I feel that the team that actually played the games, fought their way there, and earned the points...
deserves to be there more. Sorry if you disagree, but that's the way it is.

Now, in the future, if you have any problems with me... I highly suggest that you Pm me with your concerns...
actually wait for a response... and try to see things from my point of view, before attacking me publicly on the
league forum. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I wont put up with this type of behavior in the future! You may
not like my views, or my way of running things... but there are plenty of other tournaments out there if you are
unhappy with this one.

To the rest of the coaches... I apologize if my ways seem unfair to you. I also apologize for this outburst, or if
I have offended anyone. But it is very frusterating to a league founder, when they put in alot of time and
effort trying to organize something so that others can have fun... and the only responses you get from people
are when they are upset with you. Yes there are a couple of you out there who have thanked me for running
a fun league, and have said you are looking forward to future seasons. But those messages are far and few
between, and are definately outweighted by the negative responses I get. Let's keep in mind folks... this is a
game... our goal is to have fun.

Now, let's get this NUXBowl game played... award a NUX Cup Champ... and get on with Season 3!!!
-Willard73
Mully

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2004 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

But it is very frusterating to be a league founder

Ya ya yes it is Sad

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2004 - 07:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Willard73 wrote:

...which (I'm hoping) will greatly reduce the chances that the championship game will end in forfeit.

That this championship is decided by forfeit, either Goblinux or me must have a heart attack... Razz
Zsarts

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2004 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I've been tracking which coaches have been logging in, which haven't, and how many days they've been out.
Yes, your opponent hasn't been on for the last 4 days... but you've had two weeks to get the game in! And,
You too went a few consecutive days without logging in either.

Correct some time back in November I was gone for a week. Otherwise I was away the weekend 2nd - 4th of April, but still logged on each day and claiming also to be able to play a game in the evening bb time if I really had to. Besides that the difference is that I was informing both you and my opponent about this matter and not visa versa (can't talk for what he told you of course).

Quote:

So, before you post publicly about how unfair I am, perhaps you should PM me, give me a chance to respond,
and find out my reasonings. You did PM me at 8:21 pm asking why I made that decision... but then posted
this at 8:33. Did you even wait for a response or explanation before jumping down my throat? So before you
assume that I hadn't even looked at all the issues at hand... I have. It was a hard decision to make, I knew
someone would be dissappointed, but I feel I made the right decision.

Correct I thought I might as well take it here to inform people what a pain it is when they don't show up and that to let other people know that they should inform you if their opponent doesn't reply their PMs. So if you took that as such an attack on you I'm sorry. But I saw nothing in my PM to you that couldn't go public.

I have had good fun in the league - thank you for the league. And no I'm NOT being ironic.

Regards

Zsarts
Willard73

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2004 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Zsarts wrote:
Jesus but how about looking at how many days my opponent haven't been online for...

And

Zsarts wrote:
Couldn't you at least have had a look at those two issues too? And taken that into concern as well?

Sorry, but if those two comments weren't aimed directly at me, (especially since they followed a quote of my entire last post) then I must be some kinda moron I guess.

Look, it's over... let's drop it and move on. Let's finish up this season, and move onto season three.
 Jump to: