11 coaches online • Server time: 06:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Christer

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2009 - 23:59
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I'm working on creating an API for those of you who develop external applications that collect data from the site. To do this, I would need some assistance on what you, as the developers of such applications, would like to see from the site.

Even though some of you already use XML files that the site provides, I would like to collect this into a comprehensive API. I know some people parse HTML, which is very inefficient..

So, what would you like to see from an XML api?

As a preview, you can check out these XML documents to see what would be possible:

http://fumbbl.com/xml:group?id=2299&op=matches
http://fumbbl.com/xml:group?id=2299&op=tourneys
http://fumbbl.com/xml:group?id=2299&op=members

Let me know what you think Smile
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2009 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Who want's to bet that Christer get's assassinated by a French speaking hitman before the 26th of June. Wink

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2009 - 02:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't get the reference. Care to elaborate?
Christer

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2009 - 02:21
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Cyanide's Blood Bowl game. The developers are French. the 26th is the release date IIRC.
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2009 - 03:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I came up with the following from your examples and guessed team and was correct: http://fumbbl.com/xml:team?id=284314

http://fumbbl.com/xml:group?id=2299&op=matches - You don't show the match id. I would think the <match> element should have the match id and the match should show at least everything in the current match page: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=2722977

XML:player should be an option and also show everything that the current player's page shows.

Am I heading in the right direction in the things you are looking to hear?
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2009 - 03:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh and probably wouldn't need any of the actual match info in the group xml if you just have the match id, next step I supposed would to be to call XML:match?id=11111
Ameranth

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2009 - 05:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't realy care about an API for parsing site data for external use, but what I'd love to see is an API for modifying data on the site.

For example, one of the tabs on a league management page should allow a simple format (say csv) for things like custom rosters, or starting with more cash, or skilled players, etc. The site would use these in place of the standard rosters, though a simple option along the lines of 'include default_orcs' would help as well.

One change this would require is when creating a team, it would have to be created specifically for that league. This would require an extra choice under the division section of team creation.

This could be easily extended to stars, though I'd really love to see skill rolls be modifiable as well.

For example, consider making a chaos/rotter/skaven only league where players rolled for skills normally, but could no longer choose mutations. Instead, each player got a random mutation every time they skilled.

Also, how about a league where players got to create a full team with 7 skills on each player. Instead of rolling for skills the team would get a fixed number of norms, dbls, ST, AG, MA to assign as desired. The premise being to create your dream team, and see how it would compete against others.

Thats the kind of thing I'd like to see done with an API. More options for playing, not for data analysis.
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2009 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Just wanted to say that I think this is a great idea BigC.

My stats prog uses regular expressions to parse the html right now as I wasn't even aware you stored any data in XML form. : /

I'm a little loath to rewrite a working program though and as inefficient as it is it sits in the background running on a low priority task so it's no biggy for me personally. Smile

That said, I'm sure it will be a great asset for new developers wanting to hook into FUMBBL.

Can I get a comprehensive list of the XML reports please?

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2009 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

SeraphimRed - Just an FYI, I am pretty sure he doesn't store any data in XML format. It is in the database. He grabs it from there using the parameters in the URL examples and outputs it to XML.
Hephi

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2009 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I use the html files and parse the content through a self written java application. I save the results in xml files which I then call using servlets/beans to show on my website.

the main teams.xml file has a basic and easy structure like
<teams>
<team with vars:name coach race>
16 <player>elements with their totals (eg. all completions made over all games entered)
an element with the total statistics of that team (eg. all TD's scored over all games entered in the tournament)
an element per parsed game
</team>
</teams>

site is not online at the moment but will be soon, I'll
post example files and links then for those interested.
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2009 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

funnyfingers wrote:
SeraphimRed - Just an FYI, I am pretty sure he doesn't store any data in XML format. It is in the database. He grabs it from there using the parameters in the URL examples and outputs it to XML.

Smile A slip of the keyboard mate.

I'm sure that's the case, after all - it is what FUMBBL does for almost every other page. Wink

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

Last edited by SeraphimRed on %b %20, %2009 - %17:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2009 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

My Stat program gathers the html from all relevant areas (if it hasn't already stored the data in its own database) within the group, builds the new html and then posts it to the site - this is why I think web services would be better, but anywho.

The API should cover:

Group Members
Groups current and old tourneys and their associated games
Match results including player performances
Teams
Players

I know that's not very detailed, perhaps you wanted an XSD or similar but assuming you expose comprehensive data that is available in the html pages, that should cover it.

It doesn't really need to do anything fancy. If you expose the basic data and let the App developers do the fancy/clever stuff I think that will be perfect.

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2009 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh - and while you're in this mood BigC - fixing the Tourney forfeiting points would be just peachy and very well received by those of us that procrastinate in [L]. Wink

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

peikko

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2009 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

As said before, I think the basic data now provided in html pages would be mostly enough.

Theres couple things that I personally would feel handy making team bio tables:

a) It would be nice if game report would include stats for stars and freebooters and players who did play in that game (not mng) would be included in xml info too, would be good for those per games stats...

b) Taking one step more here, what if it would be possible for when game is updated that team page / group page info could call external website for updated bio and add it to team bio / group page automaticly. It could do the same check as submitting bio does now to make sure the data received from external site is nothing more than accepted html/css/javascript.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2009 - 12:10 Reply with quote Back to top

SeraphimRed wrote:
Oh - and while you're in this mood BigC - fixing the Tourney forfeiting points would be just peachy and very well received by those of us that procrastinate in [L]. Wink

Yes - great point.

If he who is most awesome has a spare 10 mins. Wink
 Jump to: