48 coaches online • Server time: 00:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Niiv

Post 22 Posted: Dec 12, 2003 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there u OFL-coaches

I am a bit confused at this stage of the Ofl-development proces. The confusion has arisen cos I cant figure out how to go about the scheduling. A real NFL copy isn't possible so now Im left with these options:

All tourneyforms have got:
32 teams in
2 conferences of
4 divisions (4 OBC divisions and 4 IBC divisions)

The question is how to deal with the regular season...should the regular season be:

1. All teams play against the other teams in their division in a double round robin (6 games) All divisional winners go to play-offs and all 2'ers, 3'ers and 4'ers go to minor tourneys...

Advantages: There will be a lot of local rivalry during the regular season. And itll be easy to create as a tourney in FUMBBLs system...(less work for the commish Wink) The season will be short, which means that it doesnt take a lot of time...we'll play more seasons?
Disadvantages: Itll be a short regular season (6 games to NFLs 16)...youll be stuck with a very VERY familiar range of opponents and perhaps a lack of variety

2. All teams meet their conferencemates once. (15 games) Divisional winners go to playoffs

3. We invent a tourneyform where each conference is divided into two über-divisions ...this makes for a two round round robin against 7 other teams... (14 games) Parhaps my favourite. The 8 divisions still apply, so divisional winners go to play-offs...

balances the need for local rivalries and creates some attachment, while still offering a broad variety of opponents...???

What to do??? Give some input

And no, of course I wont make divisions with 4 orc-teams or 3 dwarf and 1 goblin ... itll be balanced as far as I think it should be Very Happy

close to NFL number of games, but the local rivalries will be few and the attachment to the tourney might be a bit fickle(?)

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2003 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, i know my opinion will probably be useless, cause i applied too late to enter the OFL, i m afraid Sad, but anyway there it is: i think option 3 is the best if you can implement it without a ton of work. If its not possible, I think the best would be number 2, as in BB you dont play home or abroad (well, with the kind of fans my faction team has, it seems i always play abroad Very Happy), and it allows each team to play enough games anyway.

Apart from that, and as it seems impossible for me to contact you via IRC, Niiv, i tell it to you here. I sent you a PM along with the application to enter the league, and i am really interesting in playing in it. If any coach has to resign for whatever reason, plz give me a call. Thx in advance.
PhilMan

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2003 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

personnolly i like the 3rd option, as playing the same 3 teams the whole time could get very tedious, and 8 teams seems ok for a division, 4 teams is way too small for a division in a league this big i reckon, 8 teams would be about right, with top 2 teams from each going into quarter finals(winning team from div A playes runner up from div C, and vice versa for example). option 2 would be a bit boring, and not create much rivelry between teams, althogh theres already a bit between my team and the team of my friend also in the league.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2003 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I vote for option 3

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2003 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Option 3 seems the way to do it.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2003 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

another note... to create local rivalries... play each team in div 2wice... and then random throughout league for balance of games... also
the NFL tends to put interdiv games at front and end of season (example the Bills play the dolpins in September and December)

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2003 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I think option 3 is the most versatile. If the teams that do not qualify for the playoffs get into variuos minor cup-challenges, they will get to fight against teams from other divisions as well. But that will require some work on behalf og the commish Wink

Also, is it important for the teams to have played an equal amount of games before season 2 starts? One could argue that the extra games for getting to the play-offs are kind of a reward for those teams, teamrating-wise. But introducing a cup for the non-playoff teams would make them play even more games, compensating for that. (I know extra games is not always a good thing, if players die and such, but they do produce money and SSP's)
/RUSK
Doowa

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2003 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I second the votes for number 3 btw Wink

Rusk wrote:
Also, is it important for the teams to have played an equal amount of games before season 2 starts? One could argue that the extra games for getting to the play-offs are kind of a reward for those teams, teamrating-wise. But introducing a cup for the non-playoff teams would make them play even more games, compensating for that. (I know extra games is not always a good thing, if players die and such, but they do produce money and SSP's)
/RUSK

Agree, I mentioned something like this to Niiv in a PM earlier and from the PM that came back it sounds like he's awear on the situation Wink
Korkonius

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2003 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Number 3 Very Happy number 3 Very Happy

*Me thinks nuffle has spoken*
Wraith

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2003 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say you set it up the easiest way you can, but at a minimum we get to play 8-12 different teams per season ( not including play-offs ). I say keep the play-offs like they should be, players get hurt and killed every game, especially in play-offs, people want to win and play dangerously and use every trick they can. If they happen to get a few extra SPPs, hey they earned it by making the play-offs IMHO.

My personal preference for a league would be no SPPs, coaches get a set number of star player skills to divy among his team ( set a limit per player ), additional skills are gained by doing special things throughout the season....I.E. most Cas's inflicted, most TDs, etc....You get individual player skills rolls ( for things that player does ) and team skill rolls which coach gives out ( for things the team does ). This kind of system takes the focus off SPPs and puts it back where it belongs, winning the match and having fun. It also makes players much more important, say you put 4 skills on your star blitzer, you better protect his ass or it might be a couple seasons til you get a star as good ( very NFL like ). During off-season coaches could trade money to buy skill rolls for rookie players ( multiply players cost per skill roll, this would be the draft ).

Anyways, thats not here or now, just tossing out my ideas. I would definately not want to play same 3 coaches twice for a season.

Wraith
Aka Jason
Niiv

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2003 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

A few replies/comments:

option 3 seems to be a favourite...that's taken into account.

secondly, yes, the playoffs are a bonus in terms of TR. I can see the point in letting the non-playoffs teams play some post-season games, but if they play tournaments, then they would suddenly play more games than the divisional winners who are knocked out off the 1/8-finals...heh. This pretty much makes the post-season tourneys a bad idea. BTW at the end of a season the GP (games played) will look like this:

24 teams at 14 games/season
4 teams at 15 games/season
2 teams at 16 games/season
2 teams at 17 games/season

I think that's pretty fair, and I believe that most teams will still be able to beat last years champ in season two...

Hows that?

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2003 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I still fear for my gobbos Razz But seems ok to me Very Happy i just want to play ^^
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2003 - 01:17 Reply with quote Back to top

If balance becomes an issue in later years.. just put a hard cap (TR) in place.... that way you wont have 200TR playing 130TR (unless its an expansion team Smile

And btw... considering how much effort Niiv is putting into this I will personaly blacklist any coach who drops out Smile

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2003 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

What is a "hard cap"??? I was pondering that maybe someone could run a "farmer" league...the NBL (National Bowling League)? So that new franchises could enter from the farmerleague, and then the diffenrence in TR wouldnt be very big!

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2003 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

i assume a hard cap is somthing like making teams not be allowed to have a TR or ST higher than a certain level, then they have to retire older players in order to be able to carry on with the league, but im not 'in' with these bb phrases, so im just assuming.

another idea, in order to compensate the coaches who finish bottom in the division, how about the bottom team in each division have play-offs to compete for the 'losers trophy'. this also means that the 4 losers out of the divisions have an extra 2 games each(counting for 3rd+4th place play-offs)which will allow them to get some much needed spp or dosh before the next season, and give the losers a fighting chance next time round. Im sure that each division will root for their own loser, and will also create much more inter-division rivelry.

"Best Bar in This Street"
 Jump to: