35 coaches online • Server time: 18:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Have you waited long enough to E.L.F. again?
Yes! For sure!
57%
 57%  [ 32 ]
No. Variety scares me.
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Oh no, I forgot the safe word!
19%
 19%  [ 11 ]
I'll join if Macavity does!
17%
 17%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 56

Ullakkomorko

Post   Posted: May 05, 2011 - 11:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Congrats to the winners!

And thank you Pizzamogul for running this. This was my first cycle and it was a lot of fun.
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: May 05, 2011 - 11:18 Reply with quote Back to top

So how many games did it take to finish the cycle in black box?

I got 9/10 counting matches in 32 games.

For those of you who made it, I salute you! Very Happy

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
zakatan

Post   Posted: May 05, 2011 - 11:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Hitonagashi wrote:
I find it fitting that Cat A and B were won by Blackbox teams, and C D and E by Ranked ones Very Happy

Cycle wasn't as hard as I complained about to get Smile.

I had about 4 matches in C, D and E...good calls with the categories there!

I couldn't get a single game in cat C Sad
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: May 05, 2011 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Overhamsteren wrote:
So how many games did it take to finish the cycle in black box?

I got 9/10 counting matches in 32 games.

For those of you who made it, I salute you! Very Happy

21 games for my Box cycle.

There's plenty of Necro teams at high TV, and I got lucky and got a Vamp for the other cat C. For Cat E, tons of humans/norse in Box, and I got an Ogre team to inflate my points.

I found the hardest was to get a cat D at high TV(over 1700 most games)...there's almost no elves out there! Got a couple of Slann early in the cycle, and then a pro elf team a few days before it ended.
Reisender

Post   Posted: May 05, 2011 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Took me 21 games to complete as well. Rest of the matches was for hunting those ranked guys....

And i about 5 or 6 cat c games after those 21 matches i think...
zakatan

Post   Posted: May 05, 2011 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I played 18 games but couldn't make it. Still got 7 games in cat D...

Post   Posted: May 05, 2011 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

It took me 24 games in ranked to complete the cycle. I found it almost impossible to find games in cat B.
Chewie

Post   Posted: May 05, 2011 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, CatB was the problem for me too - just aren't that many pact or nurgle teams floating around at reasonably high tv - guess their natural habitat is [B].
Reisender

Post   Posted: May 05, 2011 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Congratz Falcone for being the 1st ELFELFB champ.
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: May 05, 2011 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally was pleased at the number of Box teams that completed the cycle. Also, the race seemed really competitive up until the very end. I'm not sure if the Box teams can overcome a dedicated Ranked coach's ability to concentrate on improving his worst score(s), but it sounds like different matchups are easier to come across in each division. I think that might be a good thing...

So, what's the verdict on the new categories then? Love, hate, needing some minor tweaking or a major rethinking?

Everybody willing to give it another go and a few more chances I hope cause I'm going to get the next season going next week!

Post   Posted: May 05, 2011 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

This was my first ELF season and I thought it was great.

I was disappointed that my Wood Walkers fell out of the running for the 'Red Badge of Courage' by playing extra games to improve their ELF score, only to get completely hammered at the end (fell from 5th to 11th in the span of a week). But I learned a few things and am in decent shape for the next season kick-off. I'm also 3 games from completing a Sprint!

I gave up trying to complete the cycle with my [B] High Elves, but I also got a late start so I hope to be able to complete the cycle next season with them. At low TV, I got a glut of Cat D opponents - all of them various elf teams (no slann, no skaven). I'm hoping I'm at a TV now to be able to get more diversity in the Box.

I think the categories are spot on, I wouldn't recommend any changes there. I do think that it is hard for teams that start the season below 1800 to really compete (i.e. place in the top 3 spots or win a category), because you really need those extra points in Cat A and B when you are doubling scores. I would propose that if E.L.F. teams play up in TV, they get to use the higher TV for determining the base score, instead of the lower team. But if the E.L.F. team is the higher TV, then I think it's fine to use the lower TV. Just my 2 copper discs.

Thanks, pizzamogul, for making the first CRP E.L.F. season a success.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2011 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

well personally i think its possible - i was 3 points short of falcone and i gave away 6 points in my best match against dwarves by missing a diving tackle and receiving a TD (6-1 instead of 6-0). It is of course more difficult for box teams (and maybe falcone could have got a few more points) and you need more games (but i dont have a life Wink ), but still fine to compete

...and there is the box top price anyway (maybe a box top 1,2,3 would be nice, as a suggestion)

I like the new baseline system (although i was sceptical before the season) as it still allows good low/mid TV matches to make an impact and it is much better than the old FF based system which made it impossible to compete with old LRB 4 FF25 teams.

Categories are nice imo, box coaches will always need some luck to make it, only way to make it easier would be less categories but that would mean less ELF matches booooo....
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: May 05, 2011 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Reisender...and I'd also like a Box 1,2,3.

Some more random thoughts:

I'm not entirely sure how well the Cat B baseline thing is working..it seems to encourage just turning up against big teams with a high TV team of your own to bag as many points as possible! I'd have really liked my Cat B big wins against high TV teams to count for more, but I would say that Very Happy.

I'd also quite like to take the opposing TV if it is higher than yours. A few of my games (namely, beating 2400 TV CD's with my 2100 HE while getting slaughtered) were slightly annoying knowing that a 2100 CD team would have given me the same points.

Categories are pretty much perfect I think.

All in all, I think it's been a great success. It's very competitive, and the only problem I found in box (not enough elves to get a decent cat D spread) will hopefully be more than mitigated by more elves turning up! Very Happy
Garion

Post   Posted: May 05, 2011 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup catagories are fine as they are I think we should use the higher TV rather than the lower one though. It just makes sense in this ruleset because the inducements make you play up to the higher TV anyway.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2011 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Could we say we use opponents TV? Thats better than higher TV imo.... as outballing TV 1600 Orcs with your TV 1840 elves should not give you more points than the 1600 TV is worth....

edit: cause inducements can even out a bit, but not completely
 Jump to: