49 coaches online • Server time: 13:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mattwakeman

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 22:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Because it is polite to ask and even more so when the other party has then stated that they were unhappy with the game being recorded without their knowledge. 'This is the internet, deal with it' is obviously an answer, just not a very good one in my opinion.
Fightingmongoose

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 22:54 Reply with quote Back to top

The issue is breaking down to 'should I ask for permission to do something I already have the right to do'. And the answer just comes down to what kind of sensitivity you have personally. We can debate what is nice or polite, but in the end, unless Christer or some other power were to amend the T&C of the site to prohibit recording, anybody has the right to do this already.

This is basically - Should I hold the door open for that old lady.

Some say - 'Of course, what's wrong with you!'

Others say - 'I didn't even notice her there' or 'Why bother'

Either way you don't HAVE to hold the door open for anybody.

</Bad Analogy>
licker

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 22:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sorry, that argument simply holds no water.

All games are recorded, you realize this right?

I could go back and pull up (almost?) any game, replay it, comment it, and post it. Sure, you don't get chat, but NO ONE was complaining about anything in the chat, there was hardly any chat in the 1st place beyond the normal 'gratz' 'ty' 'too many 1s'... 10 lines total maybe?

Deal with it is the only answer here.

You want to be 'polite'? Be polite, don't belittle your opponent, congratulate them, wish them luck, agree with them somberly when they complain about their bad luck, ...

Polite has nothing to do with this question really. It's a total red herring for people who think some kind of trust was broken when reality shows you there is no trust of that nature in the first place.
licker

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 23:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Fightingmongoose wrote:

This is basically - Should I hold the door open for that old lady.

Some say - 'Of course, what's wrong with you!'

Others say - 'I didn't even notice her there' or 'Why bother'

Either way you don't HAVE to hold the door open for anybody.

</Bad Analogy>

Not so bad, but it's more along the lines of 'I'm going to hold the door open for this old lady, should I ask her if she would like me to hold it open for her?'

For what it's worth, I hold doors closed on old ladies.
Fightingmongoose

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

<Better analogy>

Lets say you're in the park playing football. Someone else is filming it, but you don't know. At some point you fall down and it makes you look dumb. The next day you find the video on facebook.

Would you ask for it to be taken down? If the answer is yes I feel you may be wound a little to tightly.
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

In the UK you have the right to film/photgraph someone but I believe that if that person asks you to remove it or blur face etc you are legally obliged to do it.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 23:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Then I am in the 'wound too tight' camp because I think that it is rude to do this without asking first; and I also don't think that polite is a red herring in this. Yes, anybody could have done this at any time but it has been done now and the other party has expressed their disapproval. Nobody can make Ehlers take down the video but I think that it is very discourteous of him that he has not done so. Just because somebody 'can' do something doesn't give them the right to actually do it.
Fightingmongoose

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 23:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed. I believe that is true most places.

I still think that calling up your friend from the park, and getting bent out of shape over it is pretty strong.

And that is a picture YOU. Not just a board of pixels that you are moving about.

Much ado about nothing IMO.
PeteW

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I think 99% of people are in agreement here.

Please stop feeding the troll.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

mattwakeman wrote:
Nobody can make Ehlers take down the video but I think that it is very discourteous of him that he has not done so. Just because somebody 'can' do something doesn't give them the right to actually do it.

In fact, because you CAN do something, (read: it is allowed) you DO have the right.

Not trying to be antagonistic, but there seems to be a disconnect.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 23:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Perfectly accurate analogy:

I watch football games at a bar. Everyone mingles around all game. I have a tendency to stick my fist out in front of me on every good hit and yell, 'HIT'! One person in the bar asks me that if he is directly in front of me I either not do that, or turn before I do that. Is it a bit odd? Yes. Does anyone else mind? Not that they've said. DOES IT COST ME ANYTHING TO COMPLY WITH HIS REQUEST? No.

I am not suggesting anything about the privacy rights of anyone, for any type of recording, in any forum. I am simply stating that if someone doesn't want you to do something, and you have no need to do it, don't.

I ask again: What possible harm is there in asking permission?

P.S. Yes, you are a good opponent, Licker. I come from a family background where dis-taste for arguments and dis-taste for the person presenting them are not connected at all. I don't dis-like you, just disagree Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

First of all let me clear something out when I made this thread.

This was not about the issue between me and Purplechest. This was regarding the action taken and if I had acted wrong and therefore hear what the general consensus was regarding this issue and learn from it.

2nd when I made my 2nd respond starting that I have learned from my mistake, I also took the action of PM Purplechest and explaining myself and said I was sorry. I even offered Purplechest to take down my video (he has not responded yet). No need for this to be in public as I feel that I DID make a mistake towards Purplechest and therefore took it personal to make an apology to Purplechest. I respect Purplechest for what he has done for FUMBBL and that he is a good coach. I made a mistake, I even said that, still people decide to let things fly in the air.

A lot of people assume that I am a rude person who have little respect of people, concerning Purplechest in this thread. ASSUMING that I have not made an apology or asked Purplechest if I should take the video down or not.
I had finely got the software, mic and everything working, so I was looking forward to finely do this and make it fly. And during that process some sense most likely left my mind. Looking back, I should have acted differently.

Macavity: You are right, but as I state above my sense left me. I have said it again, I did make a mistake and I am sorry. So let it go?

I actually recieved a nice PM from PeteW regarding WIL and future recordings. He actually went and looked it from my side, but said his opinion in a nice friendly manner and gave me a suggestion.

So please chill out and relax. If you have a personal issue with me, then take it to a PM instead of assuming.
licker

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 23:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:

I am not suggesting anything about the privacy rights of anyone, for any type of recording, in any forum. I am simply stating that if someone doesn't want you to do something, and you have no need to do it, don't.

I ask again: What possible harm is there in asking permission?

I would counter with the difference between 'need' and 'want'. I may want to record all my NWL matches and post them on YouTube because I have a cousin who cannot see them live and may want to hear my own commentary about the match as I play it.

Do I 'need' to record them? No, do I 'want' to? Clearly yes, and why should my opponents disdain of having a public event recorded stop me? (again, as always, I am assuming that the commentary is not abusive or dismissive of the opponent, as was the case with Ehlers)

Not the same scenario as Ehlers, certainly, but again I'm not asking permission for something I already have permission to do. That's fairly asinine in my opinion. Is it polite? Meh, I don't call it polite, I call it more disingenuous, but that speaks to individual motive more than anything else.

I say please and thank you, I am 'polite' within the chat (with an exception here and there I'm sure, usually not without some reason though), most folks here are 'polite' within the chat, but some have different senses of humor from others.

Again, though, I know that's not really the issue here. But all to often people seem to be confusing when and where their expectations of privacy or whatever you want to call it end.
mattwakeman

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Fightingmongoose wrote:
mattwakeman wrote:
Nobody can make Ehlers take down the video but I think that it is very discourteous of him that he has not done so. Just because somebody 'can' do something doesn't give them the right to actually do it.

In fact, because you CAN do something, (read: it is allowed) you DO have the right.

Not trying to be antagonistic, but there seems to be a disconnect.

Yes, but that doesn't then follow that you should and the reason that you did, was because you could.

Where this fails for me is in the lack of common-sense. Ehlers 'should' (imo) have thought to have asked before hand his opponent if it was ok to record the game and then stick it on youtube. Judging from the responses so far there is more than one person who would be happy to have their games looked at like this. So having failed to use common sense before the game this has been compounded by failing to respond after the game to the upset (understandably or not) opponent afterwards. Again, use some common-sense and remove the vid, ask for a volunteer and all of this is forgotten and Fummbl has a nice new shiny way to talk about games and show them in the forum.

Instead we have this. 'It's public and therefore in the free domain to do whatever I want with' whilst technically true is rude in a situation where you are playing a game and haven't told the other person that you are going to do it. Or, 'it doesn't say anywhere you can't' which leads me to think that that if you rolled a six and your opponent picked up the die and shoved it up your nose with the remark, 'it doesn't say anywhere in the rules that you can't' would lead you to maybe thinking twice about saying something like this.

Common sense and courtesy. That is what makes forums work. It is what makes games work. This is not 4chan for heaven's sake.
licker

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe...

Actually Ehlers I'm not sure many people are calling *you* rude... (there's someone else trying to be the firecatch here...) Wink

For my money you made no mistake and taking down the video would be the mistake. I'm all for you recording every WIL match you play and commenting them as you did. Even though I can't play in WIL Sad
 Jump to: