52 coaches online • Server time: 17:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2012 - 09:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Currently am looking at a private league amongst some friends and we have currently 7 teams.

Whilst I may be able to get an 8th, if I have to run with 7, I am thinking of doing a Swiss style because I think 5 games is the sweet spot for these players as some of them are 100% new to Blood Bowl.

Questions:

1. Can I run Swiss with an odd number of teams or do I need to use one of the fillers?

2. Will it ensure that if it does use 7 or if I have to use the filler as a BYE that each team will only be drawn the blank / bye only once? I would hate to have a coach get the BYE twice in just 5 games.

Thanks in advance,
Clay
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2012 - 09:53 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/help:Tournament+Structure says there has to be an even number of teams, and at least 8. So yes, you'll need a filler. It also says 'An attempt is made to avoid scheduling the same two teams against each other in the same tournament.' So no-one would face the filler twice, probably.

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2012 - 10:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Swiss avoids repeat matchups, but based on my experience running swiss in small groups, I'd advise you to just play round robin with an odd (or low) number.
Playing 5 matches swiss with 7 teams means everyone will face all opponents except one. This also means the top player might play the next-to bottom player in match 5.

If you do play swiss, it should be something like 3 matches with under 8 teams, 4 matches for up to 10 teams, and 5 matches for over 10.

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2012 - 10:32
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Note that the site will only make an attempt to avoid double byes. The probability of this actually happening is based on the number of rounds, with more rounds increasing the probability.

Basically, you are relatively safe up to log2(N) rounds (which means 3 for 8 players). Any further rounds will increase the probability of additional bye rounds.

With 8 players and 5 rounds, I would say that it's starting to be relatively likely that at least one player will be missing two matches.

The way the system works is that after each round, the top team is scheduled against the highest opponent they haven't played against. Then the highest non-scheduled team is picked for an opponent in the same way. If there isn't a "free" opponent available, a repeat match is chosen instead. I don't exactly remember if I made it count how many previous matches the teams have played against each other and tries to minimize, or if it simply takes the closest team that's not scheduled yet at that point.

A filler who automatically forfeits its games will get the opponent a win in terms of the Swiss scoring system, which should make consecutive byes rare in the first few rounds.

Intuitively, I would say that the 5th round is where the extra bye would happen, and it seems feasible that this person would be the person who has the lowest number of points.

In general, a Swiss system is not used to push the number of games to beyond log2(N)+1 because of the complexity of figuring out pairings. The +1 is there to allow a team who loses one match to still have a chance at winning (I'll leave figuring this out as an exercise to you).
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2012 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks all, and thanks Christer for the maths!

The chance is likely and hence, I will go for a round robin and if everyone is happy, then we will play it out ... otherwise we can call it quits after 5 games.

Let the player enthusiasm dictate how long the season lasts!
 Jump to: