10 coaches online • Server time: 02:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post killing by fun?goto Post Pact/Renegades metagoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Why would you not play a Dwarf team of the same Rating/Strength
Dwarves kill my players more often than other races!
18%
 18%  [ 24 ]
Dwarves are boring to play against!
61%
 61%  [ 79 ]
I've not played against them, but I hear they are tough!
6%
 6%  [ 9 ]
Some other reason! - state in a post!
13%
 13%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 129

thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 22:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr-Klipp wrote:
thmbscrws wrote:
Stalling, fouling and bashing are not tactics aimed specifically at hurting your team and ignoring the end zone, they are tactics aimed at winning the game instead of getting the snot beat out of you by letting elves score 6 tds.

What they are aimed at doing is irrelevant, it doesn't change what they do.

It doesn't matter if I kick you in the balls because I want to hurt you, or if I kick you in the balls so I can get past you to score a TD, I'm sure you'd just rather not have sore balls.

Thats all true klipp, but a lot of people act like you slapped there mother and are not trying to win if you stall when nothing could be farther from the truth.
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 23:02 Reply with quote Back to top

even better are the ones that say you aren't playing the game when you stall...That they play the game for 'Fun', not to win. My question is, why play ANY game if you aren't trying to win the game? Yes, you can have fun even losing, but I just dont' comprehend playing a game without making a good effort to win that game...that is part of the fun--trying to win even at uneven odds.

But, apparently, stalling is a bad tactic...even if you are Khemri playing against skaven....

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

"Fun" and "Stalling" are two completely seperate things, and is really like comparing apples and oranges.

I don't play Dwarves because for the most part they aren't fun. They Stall, they are slow, and they hurt. All are valid tactics, and in a league or tourney I would be foolish to expect anything less. But I play on fumbbl for fun. To me fun is: Spectacular plays, or Spectacular randomness, or spectacular carnage. Dwarves just don't offer games like that. There is nothing spectacular about them. They make slow plodding games, and the good coaches don't even spare the dwarves necessary to make it interesting.

Without looking back at who said it first, someone hit it on the nose when they said that Dwarves shouldn't be playing teams of equal str and TR, because in a "real life" setting they develop slow, much slower then the other teams. The reason that they start with so many skills is because they have to wait so long to get thier next ones.

Asperon Thorn
banana_fish900

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

thmbscrws wrote:
Your team will do better if you exclusively play soft matches thats a fact but it's not really playing the game at all. Sometimes you need to suck it up and play that dwarf or ork team for integrities sake if nothing else. Thats how i look at it at least but there are plenty of other opinions on the topic.

I'll be one of those other teams. This thread had degraded to a discussion of fouling/stalling/etc . . . so let me first pitch in and say IMHO playing the game without using all of the tools at your disposal is your own perogative, complaining about others who use them (for the purpose of winning) is moronic.

I think the fumbbl admins' stance on this is beautiful. You play by the LRB in open, we experiment with some rules/races in DX and you have your own sandbox in T. To expect dwarves to "play the game" and not stall is just plain dense--their strength is ball control, but for dwarves to complain about not getting matches in Open or DX is also dense. You pick your teams, you pick your opponnents, live with the consequences.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

AsperonThorn wrote:
...someone hit it on the nose when they said that Dwarves shouldn't be playing teams of equal str and TR,...

There's nothing stopping anyone from looking for games against 'another team with 8 or 9 games under their belt.' Might sound a little odd in chat but someone will likely take you up on it. Or check rosters of other teams that are lfg and see what's comparable for TR/TS.

ThatBananaFishGuy wrote:
...so let me first pitch in and say IMHO playing the game without using all of the tools at your disposal is your own perogative, complaining about others who use them (for the purpose of winning) is moronic...

Very well said. I couldn't agree more.

Last edited by BadMrMojo on %b %30, %2004 - %23:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Check out my dwarves and tell me if they are 'slow' or 'plodding' or only omve 1 square a drive.
The better dwarf coaches out there build their dwarf teams to score the 2 turn td. As I have said before, dwarves DONOT come from 0-2 down very often. If all else fails, if you get an MA or AG or doubles, then u take guard.
I think coaches who shy way from certain races because they are too ___ or too ___ and such are just cherry pickers and ranking who#es. At least matt wyeth created a group to prove that amazons CAN play dwarves.
Next time a dwarf coach offers you to play them, play the guys. Christ, more than likely you are going to win. Unless you play me, of course.

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

But dwarves are the third or fourth oldest race in Blood Bowl and as such, should be dealt with much more dignity than for example wood elves. People whining about stalling, are usually your average oneturner elf/skaven players, who really get their socks in a bunch, if somebody blocks on of their precious "all the way in one turn" players. Let's face it.... It is just how you like to play this game. And what comes to dwarves ... they are surely nicer to play against than your average woodie team.

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

dwarves are easy to beat cos they are slow, so why be scared of them?
Franz

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Dwarves are perfectly balanced for tournaments.

They're very strong at the start of the league, when a lot of skills ca help a coach a lot, a lot of block means that you knock down often your opponents, and two players with AG3 and SH means that you will carry the ball and so on.

But running a league the profile becomes to be more relevant. A Block Guard MB Black Orc Blocker is stronger than a Guard MB Pro Longbeard on the Line of Scrimmage. He has ST4 after all. So at high TR Dwarves losses something.

IMHO.
Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2004 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Ever faced 11 Guards? You never ever say again that dwarves lose anything. They are surely strong. They are surely slow. But they are boring to play against, cause each game is the same. And usually weaker coaches make a good match with them which also proves a lot. Actually i prefer playing vs dwarf a lot over playing vs Khemri. But a good Orc / Human team is always the most fun.

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 00:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure where this stuff about being easy to beat comes from. Mine have generally had no problems. Yes I stall and I foul ocassionally (Most of my players are too valuable to get sent off, so it tends to be pretty rare). The common problem I see with Dwarf players that lose is that they fail to take the ball into account, generally getting caught up to much in blocking.

Dwarfs can and do sometimes score in two turns. I do if I have to, as I did in the divX cup 2 qualifiers when muched up against superior opponents that forced me to do so. If you don't though, forgive me if I'll stall and try and get a longbeard to score in the meantime.

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 00:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I faced 11 Guards with my 10 Guards Orc teams. And I win obviously.
Diarmuid

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

You can some fun with the dwarves if you want. It sucks to try and find games, but you can still have some fun. But its like guiness-an aquired taste. Not much to be said of the 10-12 guard teams though, not much fun there. I like my dwarves cus of some lucky rolls, 3 +str rolls has allowed me to experiment a bit. Got a couple longbeards with frenzy and only 2 guarders. The lack of an ogre makes it more challenging too. We got a winning record, and recently I have avoided stalling a little more to practice defensive tactics. Managed to stop some agile teams and win without stalling. Anyways, my point is that you can still have some fun with the dwarves. All you gotta do is step outside the little box and try some new stuff. You dwarf team will be able to buy off the skill rolls that don't work out for ya. Get some sidestep or frenzy on that dwarf longbeard instead of the sf. As I write though I think I would still experiment with them without the +str players. Anyways, don't be so harsh on dwarf coaches for playing the dwarven race. They can be fun to play with and against sometimes.

Cheers. And don't forget to keep your stick on the ice Wink
Diarmuid
chunky04

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 01:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I just had a great game with my Skaven against a Dwarf team, where I ended up gutting it out for a 1-0 win. I don't understand how people can't enjoy the challenge and tension of a game against Dwarfs.

As for the chap who said it was about making amazing plays and such - you do realise that it's possible on defense as well don't you?

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2004 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, thinking outside the box. I love that statement. So far, only 2 guards on the team. Hoping to land catch for blitzers, maybe some more move or ag for the troll slayers or runners. Anyone can build a dwarf team full of guard. YAWN.

Jump to: