56 coaches online • Server time: 23:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Garion

Post   Posted: May 23, 2013 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Skulll wrote:
If there is an AG 4 stunty, it shouldn't have st 2... would make 1d blitzing to anywhere too easy ..
I disagree, if you only have 2 and they're av5 you would need to protect them at all costs.
member1234

Post   Posted: May 23, 2013 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm going to throw something a little outside the box into the ring, off the top of my head.

AG4 and stunty is a game changer. If thinking about a passing/balling side, how about removing stunty from them entirely (especially long limbed and lithe flings, too pro/concentrated on that killer pass to use their diminutive size etc. etc, fluff wise), but adding something flavourful like dump off and/or Hail Mary/Kick off Return? Moves away from the runner role into a throwing role I guess, but keeps them from being blitzers. (though removes the ability to easily retrieve the ball from them). Survivability boost and lack of -1 for passing may be a bit much though. (maybe make them mv5 for that reason, less inclined to run the ball with them)

0-2 6245 Dodge, Dump-off, HMP AP/GS

Then have some receivers

0-4 6236 Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Catch, Diving Catch

AG4 allowing for some 'standard' passing, and HMP for some hilarity. I feel without stunty-AG4 in combo adding in the trees could be balanced as well. (I agree that it's a great time to get them in). Maybe leave HMP to the hotpot instead, but give it ag3 and catch?

I'd like to see a 0-1 G access Fling starting with the Pro skill too. For flavour. (see what I did there? Wink) Head Chef rather than head Carver?

Generally I'd like to see positionals starting with skills/pro, but maybe some flair/lesser used skills. (Hence the dump off, HMP, Kick off return, Shadowing, Diving catch, Pro etc. thoughts)

I also worry a bit about Eshin, another team doing the balling better than them, but they need a tweak to compare to skinks now anyways.
Skulll

Post   Posted: May 23, 2013 - 23:42 Reply with quote Back to top

well, that's sort of the thing with catchers on any team... you have to protect them at all costs...
If it's st 2 ag 4, it would be hugely effective on both offense and defense... and after all there are blitzers too on this roster...
oryx

Post   Posted: May 23, 2013 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

From my point of view, as long as the agi4/st2 isn't combined with G access, it won't be horribly overpowered in most circumstances. Especially if the roster has no secret weapons, no big guys, no high str - that's a lot of ground to make up if you want them to be competitive.
cowhead

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

0-16 Lino 5/2/3/6 Dodge, Right Stuff, Stunty A
0-4 Blitzer 6/2/3/7 Block, Dodge, Right Stuff, Stunty, GA
0-4 Catcher 7/1/3/6 Catch, Dodge, Right Stuff, Stunty A
0-2 Thrower 5/2/3/6 Dodge, Pass, Right Stuff, Stunty. Sure Hands AP
0-2 Ogre 5/5/2/9 Bone-head, Mighty Blow, Thick Skull, Throw Team-Mate (no Loner) S

The way I see it the Pro Halfling Team try to copy the Human Team Roster with their Roster. But with the choice of an extra Ogre as it's Stunty.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Surprised Shocked Surprised Shocked Surprised Shocked Surprised Shocked Surprised

I've been waiting so long for this!
I sure hope it will have been worth the wait.
Please, please make this roster unique as well as fun & playable!

MUST HAVE TREEMEN Exclamation

I think a pie mortar cannon makes more sense for this team, if we are talking about a secret weapon. Keep in mind it's smaller, thus much more mobile, & manned by 3 halflings that are slightly more armored to protect them from a misfire. I think this fits in better w/ the pro theme as it's much more tactical being more mobile & agile w/ dodge AG3. I picture the crew moving like a crack army mortar crew would, with two picking up the small cannon while the other carries the ammo as they scamper from position to position, setting up & firing again & again at their enemies.

0-2 Pie Mortar Cannon- 4/3/3/7 Dodge, Bombardier, Strong Arm, No Hands, Secret Weapon (8+) P/GAS 80K?

http://www.thebattleforge.co.uk/pie-mortar-cannon-with-crew-2507-p.asp

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 00:57 Reply with quote Back to top

My suggestion: (Cuz ya know I'd have one)

Pro Halflings
0-16 Lineflings 5/2/3/6 Dodge, Right Stuff, Stunty A (GSP) 30k
0-4 Shireguards 4/3/2/7 Stunty, Guard GS (P) 55k
0-2 Slingers 5/1/4/6 Stunty, Right Stuff, Dodge, Pass P (A) 55k
0-2 Adventurers 6/2/3/6 Stunty, Dodge, Right Stuff, Strip Ball G (ASP) 85k
0-1 Hot Pot 1/4/3/7 Throw Team Mate, Bombardier, Bonehead, Pro, Disturbing Presence Secret Weapon 9+ SP (G) 120k

Rerolls 60k
Apo Yes

Discount in Halfling CHef

Yes, it would have minimum of only 3 linemen, but almost no one uses 11 player rosters in stunty. Plus I think the large number of positionals gives a good pro feel.

There is a minimum of big guy/weapons, with the famous and popular hot pot being all of both.

THis would, if I've done my math correctly, which is never a guarantee, allow the following suggested roster

4 Shireguards
2 Slingers
2 Adventurers
1 Hotpot
5 Lineflings

3 rerolls

2 fan factor or 20,000 in the bank

Ideas? Suggestions? Did I screw up my math? Pie? Wait this isn't a poll.

If the treeman is needed, it could be
0-1 Treeman 2/6/1/10 Mighty Blow, Stand Firm, Strong Arm, Take Root, Thick Skull, Throw Team-Mate 120k

It would be difficult to start with both the Treeman and the Hotpot, but that would also give it an elite pro feel, being one of the pricier stunty teams.
MRnobody

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Based purely on WhatBall said (what Whatball said? - seems redundant) my knee jerk team is:

Halfling Prose!
Halfling poet: 5 2 4 6 disturbing presence, sure hands, dodge, stunty, PA (GS)

oops, Wrong team...

Halfling pros!

0-4 Halfing Thrower: 6 1 4 6, dodge, stunty, right stuff, nerves of steel, safe throw. PA (GS) 70k
0-2 Halfling Blitzer: 6 2 4 7, dodge, dauntless, juggernaut, pro. AG (PS) 100k
0-2 Halfling Beefcake: 4 3 2 8, throw teammate, grab, fend, thick skull. GS (AP) 100k
0-16 Halfling: 5 2 3 6, dodge, stunty, right stuff. A (GSP) 30k

Rerolls: 50k
Apoth: yes

The logic behind this team: 4 throwers with MA6, NOS and safe throw makes for a really strong ball handling team already. The AG4 just makes them elves doing it. The st1 was the only way I could make these guys start to be balanced.
These guys can turn into catchers, throwers, or hybrids with dump off pass. They can also get leap (or be thrown) more reliably than most non-pixies, or just dodge through everyone with stunty. These guys make the team really hard to stop.

The blitzers I wanted to make interesting. I opted to go a more flavourish route with them than just giving them st3. I thought they'd be way cooler if they were more like the wood elf wardancers. I gave them juggernaut both for coolness and because they won't feel a super pressing need to take block as the only first choice of skill. Pro was given because that's what they are. The best of the... flings.

The Beefcakes I decided to make into all around muscle who can try to control the pitch or launch flings forward. Couldn't give them stunty or they'd be too... well, that wouldn't make sense! ag2, no dodge skill, but stunty? No, these guys are tough!

Halfling: gotta fill up the roster with something!

The lack of big guys made sense for a ball handling team. I think a treeman or even an ogre would be too big a roadblock for opponents to deal with 6 ag4 players, and negatraits don't make much sense on a pro team anyhow.

Overall the goal of this team is to allow the positionals to develop differently both to allow for variety within the team and between coaches. Different coaches could effectively play this team differently which I feel is very important.

Last edited by MRnobody on %b %24, %2013 - %23:%May; edited 1 time in total
uzkulak

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I think ag4 + strong arm TTM could be too much personally.

On the basis that pros should be slightly better than the "normal" halflings

2 trees (as normal)
16 Line Pros - 5/2/3/6 Dodge, Right Stuff, Stunty, Diving catch A (GSP) 30k
4 Sturdy Pros - 4/2/3/7 Dodge, Stand firm, Stunty, Jump up AS (GP) 40k
4 Crafty Pros - 6/2/3/6 Dodge, Dauntless, Right Stuff, Stunty, Grab AP (GP) 50k

Star Player
Hot Pot - 2/7/1/10 Stand firm, Disturbing presence, Prehensile tail, No hands 130k

Rerolls 60k
baelnic

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 07:10 Reply with quote Back to top

uzkulak wrote:

On the basis that pros should be slightly better than the "normal" halflings

2 trees (as normal)
16 Line Pros - 5/2/3/6 Dodge, Right Stuff, Stunty, Diving catch A (GSP) 30k
4 Sturdy Pros - 4/2/3/7 Dodge, Stand firm, Stunty, Jump up AS (GP) 40k
4 Crafty Pros - 6/2/3/6 Dodge, Dauntless, Right Stuff, Stunty, Grab AP (GP) 50k

Star Player
Hot Pot - 2/7/1/10 Stand firm, Disturbing presence, Prehensile tail, No hands 130k

Rerolls 60k

I like the idea of mass Diving Catch but I still think you need a thrower on the team, someone that starts with pass, or maybe pass and AG4.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 07:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you give the hot pot the agi 4

something like

0-16 flings: 5/2/3/6 dodge stunty A (GSP)
0-4 catchers: 6/2/3/5 dodge stunty catch diving catch sprint GA (SP)
0-2 blitzers: 5/2/3/6 Block Dodge Stunty A (GSP)
0-1 hot pot: 2/5/4/10 kick off return pass strong arm stand firm disturbing presence P (GAS)

have them modelled not on humans, but on elves, where your quarterback is the hot pot; it takes the ball and FIRES IT to whichever catcher is free, who then sprints in for a touchdown

(Hot pot gets kick off return to emulate the halflings who carry it sprinting to it's starting pot and settling it down; and then it's hard as heck to move it anywhere else)
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 09:39 Reply with quote Back to top

uzkulak wrote:

I agree, when I added catchers, I took right stuff off of them. That's an easy fix. An ag 4 positional traded for a G access player, is a fair trade imo.

Also I don't think suggestions have to be to whatball's directives. Good suggestions and ideas can come from anywhere.

As flings have had or do have Treeman and catchers, I think it would be silly not to have them in this roster. If they had ogres for example, that causes problems with the Gnoblar roster (as the Gnoblar roster has gone down the line of warhammer ogres instead of BB).

Straight out blitzers and throwers etc, I'm not overly keen on. A downsized human team, doesn't seem right to me.

Troop types they usually utilize are trackers, skirmishers, slingers, bowmen. Thinking about LoTR hobbits is also ok imo, as flings are ripped from them with very little change.

There have been some great fling models over the years. The 90s esque ones I think were great. Dressed in Empire finery, hats with plumes, ruffles, and shirts.
Garion

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

having thought about this a little more. how about

0-16 Halflings 5 2 3 6 Dodge, stunty, Right Stuff A
0-2 Catcher 6 2 4 5 Catch, Dodge, Stunty A
0-2 Thrower 5 2 4 5 Pass, Stunty, Dodge, AP
0-4 Blitzer 5 2 3 7 Dodge, Pro, Stunty, A
0-1 Treeman usual stats, with loner as there is only 1

still not sure about the blitzer, but I think this could work, very hard to tell how they would cope in the division really. Ag4 stunty players dont have right stuff so no TTM using them, they are a pretty slow team on the whole. But have 4 ag4 players which is huge, though at the same time the amount of Diving Tackle in the league will negate this somewhat. The ag4 players also have av5 so they are as squishy is it gets. There is also no G access in the team which is a big weakness. Again blitzer is my only bone of contention really. tricky to know what to do here.

OH and they also get a Master Chef for 100k, which will be useful.

RR price is tricky as RRs are meant to represent a teams training facilities and training sessions. So the teams with good training facilities all have 50k rr while the ones with the worst training facilities etc... are 70k. So by the rationale of RR are meant to mean the team should have 50k rr really.

I think this is a good starting block anyway after which tweaks can be made for balance etc..
jimimothybodles

Post 3 Posted: May 24, 2013 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

i had an epiphany! i think this team should be kept simple!

0-16 Halflings 5/2/3/6 Dodge, Stunty

Then 3 positionals, blitzer, thrower, catcher. (yes a bit like humans) but it's very easy to work out. We need one each of +ST, +MV, +AG and +AV.

0-4 Blitzers 5/3/3/7 Dodge, Stunty (+ST & +AV)

0-2 Catchers 6/2/3/6 Dodge, Stunty (+MV)

0-2 Throwers 5/2/4/6 Dodge (+AG plus no stunty with it's -1 to passing)

Simples!

The blitzers have S & A access. Maybe one starting skill like Wrestle. or Jump Up ...or both.

The catchers only have A access. Maybe one starting skill like Diving Catch. or Fend ...or both.

The throwers have P & A access. Maybe one starting skill like Sure Hands. or Pro ...or both.

Simples!

Also on the hot pot idea... i'd go for something like

0-1 Hot Pot 2/3/3/10 Kick Off Return, Hail Mary Pass, Disturbing Presence/Foul Appearance - P access only. So it's used in back field as back up, rather than LOS duty. And it's not a bombardier. This is a ball playing team, no secret weapons.

Still undecided about Treemen. If included, only line-flings should have Right Stuff... like i said before, the "pro" flings would be too proud to have to rely on a big guy to get around.

That's it though. Enough thinking about flings for me.

cthol

Post   Posted: May 24, 2013 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

jimimothybodles wrote:
... like i said before, the "pro" flings would be too proud to have to rely on a big guy to get around.

That's not a pro attitude at all. You think Roy Keane would be too proud to be thrown downfield with the ball?
 Jump to: