16 coaches online • Server time: 04:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you be interested in a "Forlorn Races" metagroup
Absolutely!
35%
 35%  [ 10 ]
Kind of. Convince me!
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 8 ]
Pie. Sweet, delicious pie.
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 28

DrPoods

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2014 - 07:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all!

I saw some potential interest around the traps for a forlorn races metagroup and was looking for some ideas for how to go about doing this. My idea was to have a group where like-minded coaches can get together to chat about their teams, team building/match strategy for FUMBBL Majors and general stuff like skill choices.

Another "plank" is to have a group member only tournament or two using the coaches' B and R teams so coaches can develop and fine tune their teams for assaults on the Major trophies!! The aim (obviously) is to try and "un"forlorn as many of these races as possible and having a controllable environment for these teams may go a long way to getting them ready as it were.

Anyway, that is the main idea. I did hope people who are good at this sort of thing can help me out with some things...

1. I like the Human League style setup and it could be handy having some kind of points thing. I have a feeling that the AAR and HL have the sprints covered but maybe a league style setup?

2. Would it be better to keep it to one thread? It might get cluttered so the ideal solution would be to have a thread for each forlorn team for the strategy/team building stuff.

3. News. Coaches could submit their own I guess, but by PM to me and it gets put on the group page? Or maybe some way to set up a Forlorn blog maybe?

4. Logos/BB coding for the group page. It has to look good naturally!! But I am hopeless with this stuff (BB code/Images) so any thoughts or ideas would be welcome.

Last but not least, I want to try and avoid syepping on the toes of any other groups that are trying a similar a somilar thing but I do think it is a good idea for a group.

What do you all think?

PS: PLEASE put any suggestions here as well! I am sure there is stuff that I have missed and really want this to be a tip top group as we aim to unforlorn every race we can! A noble goal I am sure you would agree.
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2014 - 07:25 Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, there have been some good thoughts on my blog post and via PM! Keep 'em coming.

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2014 - 08:55 Reply with quote Back to top

ARR!

Leagues are for [L]eague.

Though you could try a Forlorn Smack/Brawl.
You couldn't prevent anyone else joining though.

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2014 - 10:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Another "plank" is to have a group member only tournament or two using the coaches' B and R teams so coaches can develop and fine tune their teams for assaults on the Major trophies!! The aim (obviously) is to try and "un"forlorn as many of these races as possible and having a controllable environment for these teams may go a long way to getting them ready as it were.

No way to do this for B teams, they activate and take their chances like all other B teams, and "fine tune" has to be very careful not to be perceived as "in game arrangement" which is against the site rules. Would also have to bear in mind the 1 in 10 frequency of playing the same coaches (outside officially sanctioned tournaments) for Ranked as well.

I am not wanting to kill-joy your idea, more would like to point out some potential pitfalls before anybody falls into them and coaches find themselves with Tournament/site bans and unable to Un-Forlorn anything.

(DISCLAIMER: These are my personal views as a FUMMBL member, not necessarily as a member of the Tournament Admin Team.)
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2014 - 10:26 Reply with quote Back to top

@DrPoods: At first you should develop yourself to being a top coach, then to think about unforloning.

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2014 - 10:38 Reply with quote Back to top

SzieberthAdam wrote:
@DrPoods: At first you should develop yourself to being a top coach, then to think about unforloning.

Why?

You don't have to be a top coach to get things done.

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2014 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

SzieberthAdam wrote:

I cannot agree with you Adam, if we all took this attitude would anybody have signed up to infBOWL (a fantastic Thrall based league: for those that do not know, rather than yourself Adam Wink ). Ability is not an obstacle to desire to play, and never should be (to chances of success, very probably but to desire no.)

Again personal opinion, just so we know Smile
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2014 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

@koadah: You do if you want to win a major with such a race. You don't if you just want to play with one of them picking your opponents from the same tier.

---

Sorry guys, I am against any kind of pimping teams for majors, and even more against organized pimping.

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2014 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

SzieberthAdam wrote:
@koadah: You do if you want to win a major with such a race. You don't if you just want to play with one of them picking your opponents from the same tier.

Not everyone is purely out for themselves.

SzieberthAdam wrote:

Sorry guys, I am against any kind of pimping teams for majors.

Of course pimping for Majors is completely unheard of. Laughing

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2014 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I wasn't necessarily of thinking of myself unforlorning... Ever! Smile

Just thinking to potentially get a group going. Trying to come up with some ideas because I like the idea. Believe me, far better coaches than me out there. And some out there have that as a goal, so why not a group where they can get together?

And good heads up on the R and B problems. Should probably scratch that idea. Cheers!

And yeah, it could be a little pimpish, but the central place for people to share thoughts and see how others are doing could be some harmless fun.
Valleysbowler

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2014 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

i feel like such a n00b here.

whats forlorning? what races are forlorned?
ruzgar

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2014 - 12:19 Reply with quote Back to top

the Forlorn Races are defined as any race that has NEVER won a major tournament. these races are: Chaos Pact; Goblin; Halfling; Human; Khemri; Lizardman; Necromantic; Norse; Slann; Undead; Underworld and Vampire.

(Taken from GLT Forlorn Qualifier page)
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2014 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Metagroup would be fun, I think. As with all metagroups, it would make sense to have some sort of scoring system established. And if you want to compete with the cool kids, the likes of Human League, ARR and E.L.F., you'd need some cool name, logo, badges, and automatic scoring. Ideally the scoring system should be somewhat different from what already exists. Probably something centred around official tournaments, both R and B, and especially Majors. Only tournament matches rated? The deeper you go, the more points? Extra points in Majors? Something along those lines.

Or even, if you're really consequent, only Majors rated at all. Of course you could rate or even "raid" SMACKs and RRRs and Brawls but I suppose that's not really the point, as for example Norse and especially Undead are quite adept at winning low TV tourneys.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2014 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

If you don't (want to)/can't go automatic, you could include sonrise's rankings. They cover all majors and minors and he has the racial data, too...

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2014 - 22:57
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

SzieberthAdam wrote:

Sorry guys, I am against any kind of pimping teams for majors, and even more against organized pimping.

Im all for non-pimping teams for majors. In fact I've played Box Norse for that very reason!(Given up though for now after the glass cannon shattered)

The only team i'd approve of for pimpin' are the Agility Monsters. Cause its funny.

I will say though, the only chances of a Forlor race winning is if one of the better coaches here (skillwise top 20) buckles down and builds a team... Then tries for about 3 years and gets a bit lucky.

Im happy getting into Semi's of qualifiers each year with my norse or quarters with my flings. Thats as far as I can get and I think i'm relatively good with stunty teams. One day my Humans might be good nuff but you never know.

Best to practice games against tougher opponents first bud.
 Jump to: