37 coaches online • Server time: 11:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BloodbasherMasher

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2004 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Any suggestions on encouraging more coaches to play Unranked?

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2004 - 00:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Make more cups which aren't TR100 start.
Instant tournaments give a bit of non cherrypicking fun you'll never find in ranked.
Mully

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2004 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

It will get there just give it time. The switch only just happened.

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2004 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a question... what is wrong with playing ranked games. I really don't have a preference... I just wonder what it is that bothers people so much about it? Is there any other difference except for the fact that it keeps a score? Is it worth all this drama?
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2004 - 01:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I type "bb lfg" into the chat and all my teams come up (incl some engaged in tournaments?) and if someone challenges my [U] teams, then I will gladly play...

But I must admit I have not had a single challenge for my [U] teams - every "open" game I have played has been with my [R] teams... not that I care or mind, but it is interesting how my [U] teams don't get a run...
elara

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2004 - 02:19 Reply with quote Back to top

In unranked games, both coaches are playing for fun (they may have different ideas of fun but thats another topic).
In ranked games, some coaches are playing for fun, and others are playing for points.

My experience has been that points coaches are looking for unbalanced games (ones they are more likely to win than ranking formula would indicate), while fun coaches are either looking for balanced games or don't care.
I think if you care about coach ranking, you should play in [R] with other coaches who care about coach ranking; and if you don't then play for fun in [U] & [S].
Or have teams in both if you care a little bit, then you can play ranked when you feel like it.

The reason I started opting teams out of ranking originally was "your coach ranking is too high" challenge refusals, then I found I personally enjoyed playing unranked games more.

I haven't had problems finding games since moving all my open teams to unranked, but then I play a lot of stunty leeg too.
Christer

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2004 - 02:32
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

elara wrote:

My experience has been that points coaches are looking for unbalanced games (ones they are more likely to win than ranking formula would indicate)

While I respect your opinion, there is something I genuinely don't understand. How does this make things different for you? You can deny game offers for whatever reason you like, just like anyone else. If it's "because you have too high ranking" or if it's "I don't play dwarf/khemri/anything but halflings" or maybe "I don't think that would be a fun game" doesn't make much of a difference from my point of view. The end result is that you have to continue looking for a game. I mean, does it make any difference on what grounds you are accepting or declining a game offer? In an open format, there will be no game unless there is a mutual agreement to play.

Ofcourse, this is wildly off topic. I apologize for that Smile It's mostly a matter of time before people start playing more in unranked. You'll just have to give people some time to come to terms with the new division structure.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2004 - 03:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Easy. Just have a check box on the overview page which teams you want bowl bot to list when you type bb lfg. Christer suggested that already and I hope it will be implemented soon.
Tribble_the_Unclean

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2004 - 05:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Two things. One, allow only LRB teams in the unranked division. I really don't like playing against teams like Chaos Pact; some skills and abilities just should NOT mix. Two, create a channel for unranked games. Keep unranked requests for games completely separate from ranked requests, and it will be easier to parse out the games you really want to play.
Barash

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2004 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

elara wrote:
Make more cups which aren't TR100 start.
Instant tournaments give a bit of non cherrypicking fun you'll never find in ranked.

Mayube this KO league is somethig for you?
http://fumbbl.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=664

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2004 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Tribble_the_Unclean wrote:
Two things. One, allow only LRB teams in the unranked division. I really don't like playing against teams like Chaos Pact; some skills and abilities just should NOT mix.

WOAH!!! I must disagree with you on this totally. The thing that I like about unranked is that I can play my snotlings against "mainstream" teams, and thus prove that they can hold their own against almost any team. Also, you do not have to play against Chaos Pact, Ogre or any of the other unlicensed teams, it is your choice after all. To be honest, my snotlings will not play Ogres, they are broken even more than snotlings are.

I like the fact that I can indulge myself with some senseless snotling mayhem in unranked against anything other than another stunty side. It is great fun, and I do not understand people who only want to play LRB teams in unranked, if you feel that way, we have the ranked division for that kind of talk Smile
BloodbasherMasher

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2004 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to agree with Grothgar. All stunty seems to be nowadays is dodge/stunty/diving tackle players with block/tackle/multiblock big guys.

It's nice to play stunties against more teams than just other stunties.

And like he said, you DO NOT have to play allied or X or stunty teams. Why does everyone seem to have that stigma about Unranked?

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2004 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Tribble_the_Unclean wrote:
..allow only LRB teams in the unranked division. I really don't like playing against teams like Chaos Pact; some skills and abilities just should NOT mix.

I think this certainly holds true for tournaments. As previously said, lets see some new high-TR tourneys (as fluffy as possible), please Smile
dejan

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2004 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess we could make an UNranked channel on IRC? The reason is that I tend to get contacted by alot of people on IRC that do not even realize that my teams are in UNranked when I type bbflg -u. They just assume that I am in ranked. It burns time for all of us. Another reason for making a seperate channel, is that the people in unranked would no longer feel as a minority (or odd) on IRC.

Maybe trying to better advocate the advantages of unranked would also help. This could be done in the user guide for example. Make it clearer what unranked really means. Not everyone in unranked are playing in tournaments or cups, when I was a newbie I had that impression. Maybe avoid recommending all newbies to start their team in Ranked in the future (not sure if this has changed since i read it), just make sure everyone understands the difference and let them make their own choices.

Also I believe too, that time will even out the difference. Changing the name to unranked is a good idea. No newbie with his senses intact would want to join "TOURNAMENT" right from the start - it just sounds way to scary!! Very Happy. OPEN just sounds more friendly. Note that in the future this is the other way around: ranked versus unranked.

Personally all my teams are in unranked, mostly because I do not like to focus to much on the statistics and more on having fun. To He** with statistics!! Also I like to play with my friends regardless of the TR difference, and UNranked also allows for playing a instant rematch with the same teams if you feel like it.

I agree with the people saying that unranked should NOT exclude non-LRB team, they have good arguments. Unranked should be cheerful and uncumbered by specieal rules or limitations. Play who you want whenever you want. Don't play the teams you don't like.

As a sidenote, unranked and ranked could both be even MORE fun if we try to promote software like teamspeak or skype (voice over ip technology). It just makes the games a lot more fun when you can actually hear you opponent whine. (new thread, this is off topic, sorry)

Thank you for reading this far. Feel free to argue (including arguments...) with me.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2004 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

dejan wrote:
Maybe trying to better advocate the advantages of unranked would also help. This could be done in the user guide for example. Make it clearer what unranked really means. Not everyone in unranked are playing in tournaments or cups, when I was a newbie I had that impression. Maybe avoid recommending all newbies to start their team in Ranked in the future (not sure if this has changed since i read it), just make sure everyone understands the difference and let them make their own choices.

Very valid points in the rest of the message as well, but I did want to note that I updated this part of the UG the other day. Take a gander and see if it looks up to snuff.

On a side note, that last sentence fulfilled my euphamism quota for the day.

Don't forget that each and every one of you can add, edit, mangle, alter and otherwise screw with the User Guide to your heart's content. It's a guide written by the players for the players, so get to it!

Jump to: