28 coaches online • Server time: 08:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Harad

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2014 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

We (wood elves) have played dwarfs five teams and lost five times. I imagine this isn't too unheard of due to the prevalence of tackle but I was wondering if there was any advice on how to play against them?

I have selfishly started this on my nemesis but if others have bogey teams feel free to open it up.
GronxWild

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2014 - 13:06 Reply with quote Back to top

dorfs are for noobs, play better coaches Wink
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2014 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Let them/force them to score early, leaving you at least 2 turns left to score, equalise, then stall out the next half scoring in turn 8 and win 2-1. Also learn to one turn touchdown.

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2014 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Best bet is to look at pro as heck Wood Elf coaches replays vs Dwarfs and see how they do it - Endzone and Tarabaralla spring to mind.

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2014 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks I've watched Endzone's and will check out Tarabaralla.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2014 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, play against the Agility Monsters instead of real dwarves. Oh, wait... ;-P

Good luck with improving! And kudos for playing against dwarves in the first place - many wood (and other) elf coaches completely avoid it. Smile If you (want to) play in tournaments, you indeed better get use to it.

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2014 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

1. Ignore coach GronxWild.

2. http://bbtactics.com/how-to-beat-dwarfs/
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2014 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

How do you usually lose? 2-1 in touchdowns?

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
krytie

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2014 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

The best elf v dorf tactic is to just score more than them Smile

Joking aside, I have a real problem playing as elves because my normal game is risk-averse bashing. I play 90% of most elf games playing safe, then when forced into it, I pull off some miracle play. This is the secret to winning with elves -- take a few risks and watch the TDs roll in.

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2014 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah Overhamstern, 2-1. I score too quickly. They score in reply. I work hard and get a blitz on the ball carrier with one or two dice but if I do get the ball free I fail my roles to get it out. Lose 2-1. Probably answering my only question. Need to slow the score down, just sometimes stalling isn't so easy.
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2014 - 02:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Beating well played dwarfs with elfs is hard unless you have a wizard in my opinion but a draw should be doable.

A very effective tactic I've seen (and used a few times) is to run everyone back towards your own end zone when you receive at the start of a half then wait there for a couple of turns until you run down and score. I stops him from marking all your players and getting blocks. If he starts chasing you it just gives you more room in his backfield to get into and stall there.

Biggest downside is that you might find it a boring tactic.

Of course a 1 turn touchdown player will help tip loss/draw into draw/win. If you can get sidestep or another +MA for your catcher then it should be pretty easy to do.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Grod

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2014 - 04:14 Reply with quote Back to top

In the half when you receive, you want to score slow. A dwarf team will struggle to score in 4-5 turns (especially if you follow my tactics below).

I give a few points about defending the Dwarf offensive drive:

1. Kick skill is underrated. Kicking into a corner can potentially cost a Dwarf team an extra 2 turns just to get their cage started. Every team should have a kicker.
2. Do pressure / go after the ball carrier BEFORE a cage has been formed. Afterwards, do NOT send your players around behind the Dwarf team, but keep them between the Dwarf team and the end zone.
3. Form elf screens, but particularly make sure the middle of the field is covered. Encourage the Dwarf coach to roll his cage towards one sideline or the other. Once he gets to the sideline, make sure he doesn't get the opportunity to move back to the middle of the field, at least not without wasting several turns. You probably need some sidestep players to cover the sidelines (or else troll slayers can surf you).
4. Your aim is in fact to stop the Dwarf coach scoring at all. As the half goes on, if he hasn't make enough progress he may do something rash. That is your chance to steal the ball and score. If he doesn't then be prepared to just defend out the 8 turns.
5. Don't get drawn into a block-fest. You will lose.
6. Don't just dodge your players away. If the Dwarves keep pressing contact, you want to block them away as much as possible.
7. When blocking Dwarves away generally speaking follow up if you make the Dwarf prone and following up will not bring you into contact with another Dwarf. Do NOT follow up otherwise. Your aim every turn is to minimise the number of elves in blocking range of the opponent AND maximise the number of prone dwarves that must stand up next to one of your players. Also consider carefully where you push any Guard players -> you want to make sure any Guard players is touching no more than 1 elf, even after they get up. You definitely want to mark prone guard Dwarves with 1 elf so your opponent can't reposition them effectively.
8. Ideally have some bench players, a babe or 2, apothecary etc. Not being able to field enough players is the main thing you can't recover from. If you just want to win, use the apothecary on a badly hurt player (its guaranteed to work).

Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Grod on %b %20, %2014 - %12:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
PurpleChest

Post 13 Posted: Jul 20, 2014 - 09:28
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

This entire thread is evil and pointless. No one needs to know any of this stuff. Its all lies anyway. Certainly don't do any of the things Grod said.

I think this thread should be about Clawpomb. And fouling. And DP.

Is clawpomb overpowered i wonder?

(Mwuhahhaaa, now someone will lock this and it will sink down and die)

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2014 - 09:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplechest, that post needs to go into a stickied thread. We are not allowed to discuss those things elsewhere.

One of the tougher things to do with elves is pacing. 2ttds are easy. 8 turn drives with minimal damage are the real challenge. Controlling who goes where is important, a good thrower helps keep your options open. Watch SvenS too.

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2014 - 10:26
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

That's a personal attack on me and i am offended. I shall expect this thread to get locked now.

Please.

Jump to: