46 coaches online • Server time: 15:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2014 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep stop arguing and just be happy that this awesome event is happening!

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2014 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

No idea what you guys are arguing about, but I have a burning question: Do we have to paint the player icons ourselves or are they provided by the organizer?
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2014 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Stimme wrote:
No idea what you guys are arguing about, but I have a burning question: Do we have to paint the player icons ourselves or are they provided by the organizer?

I don't think there has ever been a tabletop event where all the painted miniatures were provided by the organiser.

EDIT:
Just for those many of you who are a little slow, now I'm ridiculing myself. Razz
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2014 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Hi mrt. Whether you win the Road to the NAFC or not, if you come to the NAF Championship, we will find you miniatures to use. The tabletop community is great at welcoming new coaches, as I'm sure FUMBBL will be when the new functionality is in place.

I may be reading WAY too much into this, but the part in bold is what really has me excited for the future...

I'm all in for this tourney too. I was told my flight would also be covered! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2014 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
Purplegoo wrote:
Hi mrt. Whether you win the Road to the NAFC or not, if you come to the NAF Championship, we will find you miniatures to use. The tabletop community is great at welcoming new coaches, as I'm sure FUMBBL will be when the new functionality is in place.

I may be reading WAY too much into this, but the part in bold is what really has me excited for the future...

It's true. We will all become nice guys overnight. Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2014 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi chaps.

As a keen (loud? Wink) FUMBBLer myself, I know how much the minutiae matters, and how passionate we can all get over the little details. I promise when there is something to tell you regarding divisions, teams, what happens next, etc. you'll know the answers.

In the mean time, get painting those pixels, Stimme, you're doing everybody's. Wink
Village_Idiot

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2014 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

This is really awesome, great work by all who helped make it happen.
Great idea, great execution so far. I can well imagine the organizational challenges you guys have overcome, and still have to defeat. Best of luck!

A question though: I'd love to join the tourney, but as it's pretty much 99% unlikely I'll ever be able to game in the UK, would it be disruptive for me to join? I'm not exactly good, (so I'm not worried I'll win) but would I displace a slot for someone who legitimately could attend the tourney?
If that seems like a non-issue, I'd love to join.

I can work around the timezone issues to an adequate degree. Not to a degree it makes sense for me to join euro leagues on here, but I think I'd make any commitments for a tourney like this if I'm sensible.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2014 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
koadah wrote:
What happens to the teams after the tournament?

Do they stay as is for higher TV res events? Do they get reset? Could they switch to progression?

Assuming the options are generally available to [L]eague events.

It does not seem likely to me that you get to continue to use a team in progression that you created in non progression... pretty sure thats unheard of in tabletop leagues.. .

Actually, I'm pretty sure some existing TT leagues with older teams let new teams start at higher spending TV and/or give them some skillups to get them started.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2014 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Village_Idiot wrote:
A question though: I'd love to join the tourney, but as it's pretty much 99% unlikely I'll ever be able to game in the UK, would it be disruptive for me to join? I'm not exactly good, (so I'm not worried I'll win) but would I displace a slot for someone who legitimately could attend the tourney?
If that seems like a non-issue, I'd love to join.

I can work around the timezone issues to an adequate degree. Not to a degree it makes sense for me to join euro leagues on here, but I think I'd make any commitments for a tourney like this if I'm sensible.

Hello there!

Please don't be put off playing in the tournament because you can't make the NAFC if you win (or at all). The tournament is open to everyone, and I hope worthwhile even if you aren't planning to ever pick up a miniature in your life (although you should! Wink).

You bring up a great point regarding time zones. With weekly rounds, coaches that enter the Road to the NAFC need to consider their schedules as they would (for instance) a FUMBBL Major. When fuller details are posted, there will be some notes on this.

The NAF has members all over the world, and FUMBBL probably has coaches in every time zone. We'll learn a lot from running the Road to the NAFC, and I assure you that if they need to have, future sanctioned events will have one eye on time zones that maybe feel like they missed out. We want everyone to benefit here. Smile
Grod

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2014 - 05:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Its more difficult than a major though: You have to complete 6 rounds (most people can count on just 1 or 2) and you can't get ahead of the schedule. Also motivation can be low for people who can't win but must play all remaining rounds...

Not saying can't be done, but needs to be stressed to entrants just how difficult it is.

Oscar Wilde
Rabe

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2014 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds great! Looking forward to it! Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2014 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Its more difficult than a major though: You have to complete 6 rounds (most people can count on just 1 or 2) and you can't get ahead of the schedule. Also motivation can be low for people who can't win but must play all remaining rounds...

Not saying can't be done, but needs to be stressed to entrants just how difficult it is.

I thought this too.

But, as the winners will mostly be playing winners they will still have an incentive to get the games done. The main part of the the tournament should work. Though I can imagine that a 0/0/3 coach may not be keen on playing at 03:00 vs some guy on the other side of the world.

Not being able to get ahead does make it harder. 7 day schedule and mixed time zones will probably put off some of the more casual coaches but I would expect the hardcore Majors dudes to be there. Wink

Dode should have info on how it went on Cyanide.

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2014 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it would be naive to suggest we will get a 100% game completion rate, so I won't. But I am optimistic that the percentage will be high.

As I say, we're going to learn an awful lot about the online format from the Road to the NAFC. There is a novelty to the event, and FUMBBL has a strong tournament ethos (is it fair to suggest this is less true of Cyanide? Not that I want to go down that rabbit hole). We have the carrot of NAF members being able to track their games, and there are stick options such as those the FUMBBL tournament scene already use. Finally, we'll take stock of how the tournament progresses, and as I said above, look to involve people of all time zones in the future.

These are things we've discussed, but there is always going to be a 'suck it and see' element to this. There will be notes on getting games played nearer the time. Wink
Tarabaralla

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2014 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't mean to lead this post to all the little issues you'll have to face, just trying to give some positive (i.e. possibly useful) imput!

Great job so far, and good luck for the rest!
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2014 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe, no worries. I like input. Wink
 Jump to: