57 coaches online • Server time: 23:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2014 - 08:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I've added a link to my forum topic about posting bug reports in the game arranging thread.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 08:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Some more coaches have got involved, but still a very small percentage. Hmmmm, maybe it would be a good idea to lobby Christer to close the 2 main divisions bar competition games?
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 08:27 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Some more coaches have got involved, but still a very small percentage. Hmmmm, maybe it would be a good idea to lobby Christer to close the 2 main divisions bar competition games?

Laughing

You attract more bees with honey than vinegar.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 08:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Good to see you're finding it funny. What should the honey bee?

Also I see you've played a good 20 games since the test division has been open. Any reason why you're not doing your share?
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 09:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Often times I am one of four people activating Box, the opportunity cost is too great and I'd be letting 3 other people down if I spent my time trying to arrange test games. If anything I am guilty of caring far too much about my fellow coaches. As I always say, "To know me is to love me and to love me is to know me." It would surely be a tragedy beyond any and all imagination (think 9/11 times a thousand) to deprive my fellow coach of a good time.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I admire you for one thing. Most coaches are hiding in the shadows and not saying anything about looking after just themselves. At least you're countable.

How you are making fun of the whole thing isn't cool though. Is how little most people contribute even in this smallest of ways that funny, and worth making jokes about? If that's how you want people to view you, well so be it.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 10:46 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
What should the honey bee?

lol. hm made a joke.

Seriously though, how about
'hey guys, this is very important. You want to help the community out?'
rather than
'you played a ranked game. You will go to fumbbl hell!'

With that, you would have had me instantly. As it is, you nearly stopped me from contributing altogether.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I see your point. However Garion and Kalimar both tried that tact and in 2 days 9 games got played. Also Isn't that how children look at things? 'Oh just to spite harvestmouse, I won't'. This is not about me at all. Please, look at the big picture. You need to do this for yourselves and this fansite. It doesn't matter what you think about me, I'm not significant.

Ok, let's approach it from a slightly different angle. I know Christer and Kalimar don't really want me to go about things like I do. However they're too polite to do it themselves.

This NEEDS to get done, for the sake of you all. And how about it from Kalimar's point of view. He won't really want me to say this, but how do you think he feels?

Kalimar has an extremely busy job. He also has had some big issues go down. His own and his family's health. He signed up for this project 4 years ago, and he's committed to it. During that time, he's had helpers come and go. Like the site has had coaches come and go. But not Kalimar, he's worked through his problems and he's given up a huge amount of his own time and energy and really money (how much money do you think he could have made if he spent the time making an app game or something?)

So for him it's been a real battle. How would you feel if you went through all that, had pride in the awesome product you produced only to find that the large percentage of the site coaches really don't give a crap and aren't prepared to move their hobby/games into a non competitive division for a few weeks.

I don't know about him, but it makes me angry. I want to be positive I really do, and if you look at my first post I ended on a positive note. I also appreciate anyone who is playing there. I appreciate you giving up your time even though we had a nightmare of a game. However my feeling is, that if you can't contribute to a site that you play for free (I do know and appreciate mrt1212 for example contributes a lot moneywise) then it's extremely selfish.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Also Isn't that how children look at things? 'Oh just to spite harvestmouse, I won't'.

Yes. That's where the 'nearly' part came from. And it's also how parents (I would like to give him this, but shouldn't, because it would reinforce unwanted behavior) and behavioral scientists practicing instrumental conditioning look at things.
Having said that, I agree with you that this is too important to be used as an object lesson to condition you into becoming a better diplomat. =D

On a more constructive note regarding the honey: it might help if ffbtest teams could transition to [L] afterwards?
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Believe it or not, I am extremely empathetic. I also have post graduate training in behaviour; both adults and children. I was also under the impression that I wasn't dealing with Children.

I'm more than willing to be encouraging. I'd like to think that there isn't a coach on a site that has had a sour experience dealing with me in game or working on a project. However anyone who raises their head above the parapet and has been playing a significant amount of games in one of the competitive divisions; well I'm gonna take a few pot shots. As they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity!

It's been common practice for test division teams to be wiped. I personally am not against them being moved to league afterwards. I just don't think it's a massive incentive. We tend to think shorter term for incentives than that.

B2K raised a good point about 'previous' test teams. However I think Kalimar wants the environment as natural as self built as possible. To replicate what will happen when this goes live.

Last edited by harvestmouse on %b %13, %2014 - %11:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah a transition to L or S is a good idea. People love to teambuild and I think the dead end in that regard certainly puts people off.
I mentioned while speccing a match that some kind of tournament could be an idea to get a lot of people playing and at once and had some agreement but have no idea how hard it would be to implement.

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 11:52 Reply with quote Back to top

You played ranked games over ........test games, I feel light headed, I need to sit down.

On moving to 'S'. That would be down to Whatball, however I don't think he'd be happy about it.

Since Shadow and Whatball have started working on the Stunty Division, it's become a lot more serious. It's pretty much a competitive division now, without the rankings. Therefore teams are under the same management rules as Ranked (1/10 not as strict, due to volume of games).

So playing in a test environment, although has minimal effect, isn't an even playing field.

You know what though, which would be a great incentive and something I'd jump at the chance if offered.

How about.........Stunty test teams can be moved to the League division once testing is finished. To me that's a massive incentive, having an opportunity that isn't open to the rest of the site. I also think (I'm not 100%) there would be little coding difficulties here either.
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 11:58 Reply with quote Back to top

too much funny stuff goes on in test division for teams to be allowed to move about in to proper divisions.

This will never happen.

I like the test division because it does not effect your records at all. It allows you to play with a freedom I haven't felt since I was a child playing with little led figures that my parents kept telling me were poisonous.

No longer are you burdened by whether you win or lose. You are free to try the stupidest actions first, like a half dice blitz with a mino, or a Troll dodge hehe. Check all my test games to see how stupidly I am playing in there, and I love it Smile

Anyway, this threads all getting a bit serious. Just play some games in the test division. Its fun!

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 12:01 Reply with quote Back to top

"People should be nice and help cos it's the right thing to do" doesn't work HM.
Newsflash: most people are selfish assholes. There has to be an incentive other than "it's for the greater good" if you want hella matches in the test division.

Last edited by JimmyFantastic on %b %13, %2014 - %12:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
too much funny stuff goes on in test division for teams to be allowed to move about in to proper divisions.

If so, then League isn't a 'proper division'. People also build teams by playing all-snotling teams there, after all. Or play in a bash-free environment.
 Jump to: