33 coaches online • Server time: 10:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How to paint and what to buy?
The "normal" way (like my half-painted skaven team)
34%
 34%  [ 15 ]
Speed paint! Wham bam and done!
37%
 37%  [ 16 ]
Something else, like....
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Paint a pie with icing instead.
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 43

Badoek

Post 22 Posted: Sep 04, 2013 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey you real-life coaches/painters,

-I've got the standard human and orc team to paint, and a half done skaven team.

-I have one brush yet no paint, primer, washes, or whatever else there is in this weird world of (miniature) painting I'm about to enter.

-I'm not a gifted painter/drawer/artist

-I want to get this done (no high standard, just something that doesn't look ridiculous) and I'm not willing to pay €4/miniature (or whatever) to get it done so I'll do it myself.

-I've read Garion's guide on Speed Painting and I like it. My half painted skaven team though has been painted with a black undercoat, some normal (?) citadel paint, some wash(es?) and some dry-brushing (or somewhere between the undercoat and dry-brushing).

-I've painted part of that skaven team with some help but it's been a while so let's say I'm a total noob.

So, please tell me what you think I should do and buy. Or go all Lego.
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2013 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

well paints would be a good start Wink

the citadel range of paints is really good. Some people hate everything GW but when it comes to paints GW paints are actually really good.

Once you have paints you need a bunch of different size brushes. Then just practice.

But if you dont want to buy anything lego is cool.

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2013 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you enjoy mini painting? do you all ready have the stuff needed. Cause if you dont then pay the €4/miniature

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
baelnic

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2013 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I buy cheap acrylic paint from craft stores (Michaels, Hobby Lobby not sure what you have where you live). You can find a sale for buy one get one free and get 2 ounce bottles for about a quarter of what a 0.5 ounce Games Workshop bottle costs. You'll need to get a mixing palette to make your own colors and you often times need to water them down a bit but you can buy a whole slew of colors for pennies.

Edit -

I do like the GW paints too. But for learning I see no reason to spend gobs on paint when you can ease into it financially and figure out if you enjoy painting or not.

See Ultra-Marine Blue for less than 1 USD!

Last edited by baelnic on %b %04, %2013 - %22:%Sep; edited 2 times in total
sann0638

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2013 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you have any local gaming clubs? People are usually happy to show you, and it's probably easier in person!

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2013 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I can see why people enjoy painting but I'd rather do something else. I'll paint the batch and that's probably it. mmmm I might get some more positionals. 2 BOBs is stupid. (and I might want a necromantic team too...)

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2013 - 23:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Get Vallejo paint. It is approximately 1 million times better than GW paints.

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2013 - 23:36 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Get Vallejo paint. It is approximately 1 million times better than GW paints.

Meh. GW paints are really good, there really isnt much between them. The only bad thing about GW paints is they are GW and the lids are stupid. The lids is what really sets Vallejo apart but that really doesn't matter too much.

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2013 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Just read the Garion guide and it's pretty interesting. I've never painted in this style. My style is REALLY old skool.

If you dislike GW paints, buy cote d'arms http://www.coatdarms.com/online_shop/index.php?cPath=21 These were the suppliers of GW paints, before they took their current source. Pretty similar, better pots and much cheaper.

Depending on the look you are trying to achieve (non-metallic for instance) there are better paints on the market, like Vallejo. However for a noob, it doesn't really matter, and that guide looks really easy to follow.
PainState

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2013 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, here is what you need to finish off the humans/0rcs fast.

1 X Brush
1X jar of brown paint
1X jar of green paint
1X jar of silver paint
1X jar of blue paint
1X jar of red paint
1X jar of LT. brown paint
17X cans of beer of your choice

Here is the step by step guide.

1)Take a orc mini. Dip him in the green paint. Set aside and dry.
2)Dip your human minis in the blue paint. Set aside to dry.
3)Next day you turn on your favorite sci fi show or fantasy show. On your table in front of the TV you lay our your guys.
4)Grab all the orcs and paint all their armor silver with your brush. Repeat with the humans.
5)Drink 5 cans of beer.
6)Minis should be dry at this point to move on to step 7
7)Pick up the brush and paint all the boots brown.
8)Let dry for 2 more cans of beer
9)Pick up your brush and paint all the shoulder guards of the orcs/humans red.
10)Drink 4 more cans of beer
11)Pick up your brush and use the LT. Brown paint. You should at this point be properly lubricated to paint the humans flesh a LT. Brown color.
12)OK, epic fail. Do not worry at this point. Let the paint dry and then touch up the over flow of paint on the blue or silver paint.
13)Drink 6 more beers.
14)All your minis should be standing on their bases looking all mean and nasty. Pick each one up one at a time. Give them a go over and then pick up your brush to dry brush any blemish.
15)At the bottom of the base scribble the players # on the front and back.
16)Drink 6 more beers and admire your work.

2 optional steps at this point.

1)If you fancy a crazy paint scheme. Use your alternate paint color and proceed to paint their helmets a diffrnet color scheme.

2)If you want on the front and back of the base write in a basic code for their skills....IE..B for block, MB for mighty blow ETC.

Hopes this helps.

Last edited by PainState on %b %05, %2013 - %00:%Sep; edited 2 times in total
PainState

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2013 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to point out this is a seious painting guide for the layman like myself.

This is how I paint my minis.

Ok, stop laughing. It works, it is fast and gets the job done.

When you sober up the next day you can then do some serious touch up work if needed.

Last edited by PainState on %b %05, %2013 - %00:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
PainState

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2013 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I forgot two more steps to finish this project.

Time warp two more days.

Drink 6 more beers.

Then you take out your red paint and your brush.

You then grab each orc and just dip the red paint on the tip. You then give each orc a red dot on his eyes...Orcs have red pupils.

The optional step is then to do the same with the humans. Your humans are evil humans and are looking to take some heads. It will intimidate your opponeet and give you a good role playing option on TT when you foul 16 turns. If your opponeet starts to scream at the blatant bruatality. You just say look into my minis eyes and he will know the answer.

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2013 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Dip......Well there's not much point buying minis if you're going to........dip.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2013 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, firstly: DO NOT dip your minis in paint. You'll end up with shapeless blobs. And if you actually want nice looking figures, rather than just to get them painted to a minimum standard, there is a lot of good advice out there. The forums at WAMP and CoolMiniOrNot are both good, and there is a lot of other stuff available, including lots of youtube videos.

But yeah, the best advice is that if you have a local gaming group or hobby shop, there will probably be someone who can get you started.

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2013 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Badoek wrote:
-I want to get this done (no high standard, just something that doesn't look ridiculous) and I'm not willing to pay €4/miniature (or whatever) to get it done so I'll do it myself.

My painting guide gets the job done.