46 coaches online • Server time: 16:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: May 10, 2004 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

CD's already have 50k rerolls... Smile
GalakStarscraper

Post   Posted: May 10, 2004 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Elkerlyc wrote:
50K for a freebooted apothecary is harsh. (I considered stronger language but I do not want to be banned Wink )

Makes regenerating teams even better.

We'll have to see ... I just finished reading a thread about how horrible 4+ Regeneration was.

So if 4+ regeneration is horrible and 50k freebooted apothecaries are also ... then they should finally be equal ... right ... Laughing

Also keep these two points in mind:

1) There is a lot more gold in this system then the LRB 2.0 from winnings when your team is getting winnings. So its easier to afford a 50k apothecary for a game if you want to have one.

2) As a sweetner ... you'll be able to pick up an apothecary for free for only a 5 TR difference.

Galak
LordSigmund

Post   Posted: May 10, 2004 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

forgive the possible obvious question, but i dont understand what you mean by free apoth for 5 TR difference?
Jarnageddon

Post   Posted: May 10, 2004 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I think its summat to do with being given cash for playing higher TR teams, but couldn't be bothered to read the rules, I'll get round to it at some point

Post   Posted: May 10, 2004 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

LordSigmund wrote:
the new special weapon players too, i dont think id ever use a chainsaw or bomb player on a dwarf team, doesnt really fit imo

If you go back to the 2nd edition books, the Dwarf teams were VERY famous for their massive use of secret weapons ... with only the Goblin team bring more of them to any game.

So the fact that the new rules allow the Goblin team to have up to 12 Secret Weapon players for a single game and the Dwarf team up to 7 for one game is very much in line with the history of the game and the team descriptions.

Galak
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: May 10, 2004 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

i am liking the new rules... less d6 rolls means less opportunity for me to get screwed by the dice. aging is gone which is good and more expensive rerolls will help the loss of aging a bit.

adding in secret weapons into certain team rosters is good as it keeps the whole thing interesting and they arent too powerful as they can only be set up for one drive. the layout for the teams is also good and is easier for a newbie to understand. removing G access from BG's is fair but stunties will become harder to coach. perhaps some measure can be brought in to boost the flings and gobs as to keep them fun but not to make them on a level with the other teams?

Galak im also wondering if there are any plans to include other teams in the vault eg brettonians as it would be a perfect place for them to be. also brettonian minis would be amazing!!
IMHO more races are better as long as they provide a new playstyle and add something to the game while remaining balanced. if they are overpowering then no

Perhaps the BB 7's ruleset could also be placed in the vault as something that can be tested but might not be incorporated into the main game. We should use the vault for all we can as we have thousands of coaches and means a lot of suggestions and critisisms meaning a better game can be created for all!

i guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating so we shall see how the rules come on
GalakStarscraper

Post   Posted: May 10, 2004 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

LordSigmund wrote:
it also looks like winning with a stunty team is going to get a lot less viable too, no more block/tackle trolls or trees clearing your way so your stunties can feel a bit safer

Go with Break Tackle and grab Pass on doubles .. you'd be surprised how good your team will still be.

Also freebooting and the sweetners make for some interesting potential with the new rules for stunties.

Example ... I'm thinking about starting a Halfling team with the new rules like this:
Think about my current idea to start a Halfling team up brand new:
9 Halflings
2 Treeman
1 Reroll
8 Fan Factor
3 Cheerleaders
3 Asst. Coaches
260 Treasury

First game ... freeboot an extra Treeman, an apothecary, and a Master Chef.

At the end of the game, my Team Value will go down by 260k and I should be able to get the Apothecary and the Master Chef as free sweetners for several several games to come ... maybe even Deeproot AND an extra Treeman (4 Trees on the pitch ... muh ha ha ha) if I play a team of significanly more value.

I've lost only once in my life in the last 3 years when I've had 3 Treeman on the pitch with my Halflings. The new rules make it a lot easier for Halflings to pull this trick off now.

Something to think about ... not all the changes were bad for the Stunties.

Galak
GalakStarscraper

Post   Posted: May 10, 2004 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

browwnrob_ni wrote:
removing G access from BG's is fair but stunties will become harder to coach. perhaps some measure can be brought in to boost the flings and gobs as to keep them fun but not to make them on a level with the other teams?

See my notes above about stunty coaching in the new rules. Its all about aggressive team management and using your low player costs to your advantage. Think about this as the flip side. A Goblin team for only I think its 38 TR (or 380,000 cost) difference in teams field 12 secret weapon players for a game (3 of each type of 4 weapons (assuming they already had the 4 permanent ones on roster ... also I'm going to check I'm pretty sure the Pogoer was supposed to be 30k not 50k)). Also don't underestimate the ability of a team that can field 4 Trolls in the right circumstances. It will take time for folks to think about new strategies ... I've had 4 months of discussing these rules to think about these new strategies ... but I definitely don't think Stunties are completely screwed over ... not if you play them right.

Quote:
Galak im also wondering if there are any plans to include other teams in the vault eg brettonians as it would be a perfect place for them to be. also brettonian minis would be amazing!!

Getting the Ogre team and the Vampire team into the Vault is the next order of business.

Galak

Last edited by GalakStarscraper on %b %10, %2004 - %21:%May; edited 2 times in total
GalakStarscraper

Post   Posted: May 10, 2004 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

LordSigmund wrote:
forgive the possible obvious question, but i dont understand what you mean by free apoth for 5 TR difference?

Its the sweetners rule. Page 8 of the DZ4.0 Leagues.pdf. You get cash to spend only on freebooters for that game equal to the difference between the team values if you are the underdog. So translated into LRB 3.0 type terms ... this means that if your opponent has 5 points or more of TR than you do, you'll be able to have an apothecary for free for that game if you choose.

If you missed that part, then I could see how you would think that the new Apothecary rules are pretty harsh.

Galak
Frankie

Post   Posted: May 10, 2004 - 21:43 Reply with quote Back to top

[Changed my opiniom a bit, read thru the whole review]

Last edited by Frankie on %b %10, %2004 - %22:%May; edited 1 time in total
boobis

Post   Posted: May 10, 2004 - 21:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I really think you should take the "you can chose a skill instead of a stat-increase rule" back. Gaining skills should be all fun, and dropping aging is a good way to start, why not go all the way.
TheLegend

Post   Posted: May 10, 2004 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Big guys need doubles to get block and can't get pro... Who would ever field a big guy? The undead and Khemri teams would fall apart at the seams... and chaos dwarves no longer have a blitzer position... I sure hope these never become official (Since my favorite teams are Undead. Chaos Dwarves and Halflings...)

Post   Posted: May 10, 2004 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't say that I agree with the loss of G skills for Bull Centaurs. If Chaos Warriors can still get G and Black Orks can still get G. Why can't BCs?

~R~
GalakStarscraper

Post   Posted: May 10, 2004 - 22:04 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Legend wrote:
Big guys need doubles to get block and can't get pro...

Pro I think will be returning to a General skill ... in fact I thought it would be part of the Vault release ... I'm checking on it.

Quote:
I sure hope these never become official (Since my favorite teams are Undead. Chaos Dwarves and Halflings...)

Then your feedback will be appreciated. A lot of leagues will be playtesting these rules ... hopefully your feedback from actually trying the rules will be added to the mix. Folks that comment outside of playtesting just don't get the same air time. And yes, I've heard the arguement about not need to test a crappy rule to know its crappy. That's all well and good ... however the guys who type up the rulebook don't agree ... so you'll need to convince them. Just being honest.

Oh and as a Halfling player ... I have no idea what you are talking about Legend. I'm really looking forward to the first game I field 4 Treemen and a Master Chef ... that is going to be some REAL fun. Laughing

Galak
LordSigmund

Post   Posted: May 10, 2004 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Raimius> because BCs are big bellowing stompy wild things, who run around and trample on things, youd be hard pressed to teach one how best to punch someone to stop them from defending against it, or how best to block someone's attack, theyd just smack them in the face and then stomp up and down on them
chaos warriors and black orcs have, imo, a greater measure of intelligence and possible restraint, hence G access

it seems some people are thinking more about how the new rules will make their current amazing teams worse, and less about how they will balance the game overall and make it better to play

Galak> missed those sweetners, sounds good

now im left wondering if all these important new pre-game rules will be possibly implemented in the client and on the site :s

Last edited by LordSigmund on %b %10, %2004 - %22:%May; edited 2 times in total
 Jump to: