43 coaches online • Server time: 16:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Record the length of...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should we change the rules to encourage more passing?
Yes
19%
 19%  [ 15 ]
No
80%
 80%  [ 62 ]
Total Votes : 77

zakatan

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Calcium wrote:
markor wrote:
Calcium, I want to change the rules so that different teams play in different styles.

You want to change the rules to suit your own playstyle.....

And Calcium doesn't want to change the rules because they already suit his playstyle Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Classic passing in BB: Getting 1 extra spp at T8/T16

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 12:51 Reply with quote Back to top

For a moment I thought this was another necro thread.

Markor congratulations, you learned your first little bit about the game.
Harad

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Markor welcome to the site. I am sorry that you have received some of the responses that you have. It is just that this is a debate, the core of which has run over hundreds of pages of the forum. So most people are quite jaded and/or have made up their mind.

So you have raised a good topic for debate, it's just that the debate has happened several times and it seems people have largely gone through the other side.

The short summary is that there is currently no mechanism for an official change to the rules and the site is committed to trying to play the official rules. As such whilst there may or may not be better rules out there, we will continue with the rules as they are.
Calcium

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:
Calcium wrote:
markor wrote:
Calcium, I want to change the rules so that different teams play in different styles.

You want to change the rules to suit your own playstyle.....

And Calcium doesn't want to change the rules because they already suit his playstyle Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I'll adapt my playstyle to any rules...be it LRB4/CRP or whatever comes our way. I just won't try to change it to suit myself Smile

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Stilli, I am already doing what you suggested. If it is possible to play that kind of game and be reasonably successful, why has no one done that against me in over 80 games? That would be a big statistical anomaly if even 10% of players played that way every game.

Angmarred, I agree it is risky, that's why I think the other ways of scoring should be made riskier to make this tactic more attractive again. I don't think I am the only person who wants to these kind of tds scored regularly in games of blood bowl.

Zakatan, I am aware of that, that's why I am suggesting that the rules are changed so that running down the clock is no longer so attractive. Piling on and Guard both affect this - the first because the opponent won't have enough players left towards the end of the half to attack the ball carrier effectively, and guard because it directly stops this happening.

Calcium, I want more variety in the games I play, not everyone playing the same way, regardless of whether that is a passing game or a grinding game.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

markor wrote:

Zakatan, I am aware of that, that's why I am suggesting that the rules are changed so that running down the clock is no longer so attractive. Piling on and Guard both affect this - the first because the opponent won't have enough players left towards the end of the half to attack the ball carrier effectively, and guard because it directly stops this happening.

I really love how you connect passing to nerfing PO and guard... it's hilarious!
I have to tell you tho: Me, 11 elves, 1 with pass, 2 with catch, no guard, no piling on... and there still wouldn't be any passing game happening whatsoever....

none, nada, just pure slow grinding till i have done you in Wink
markor

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the info, Harad. I realised that some people may have had this debate before, which is why I was hoping that the debate focused on practical changes to the rules like those I suggested. If there is no chance of this happening ever then I guess the debate is a waste of time, but I didn't really expect to have my way anyway - I was just venting my frustrations. I would actually just be content with an explanation for why Piling On was changed to such deadly effect.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 14:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Simply put:
Passing is like 1 dice blocking.
You could block your way down the opponents throat by 2 dice blocks.

2 dice trumps 1 dice blocks. As long as it remains true, passing will be at minimum level.

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

markor wrote:
Thanks for the info, Harad. I realised that some people may have had this debate before, which is why I was hoping that the debate focused on practical changes to the rules like those I suggested.

I don't think Harad got it quite right. There hasn't been any debate about nerfing Guard.
And while nerfing PO is probably one of the most discussed topics on the site, connecting it to passing is a first too, I believe.

So, if you get snappy responses I don't think it's because the issue has been talked over but more because you seem like a guy who doesn't have the proper experience yet to make the right connections Wink.

Edit: I think most of us... passing has never really been a good strategy in this game...
what calcium mentioned you know.. If passing was a big thing in BB that maybe wouldn't be a bad thing..
but then.. when you have stuck with the game for a while thats going to be either a very low priority concern for you or no concern at all...

So I think what he says is kinda right... if passing would happen to suddenly be an amazing strategy, then everybody would do it but.. if that is really adding something to the game is another question.
It may be very well just a random change to accomodate a different style of play than what currently works best. (Apart from that your suggestions wouldn't spawn your desired outcome of course.)

Last edited by Wreckage on %b %01, %2015 - %14:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
markor

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage, I explained why they are connected to running the clock down, you didnt explain why you think they aren't connected.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

markor wrote:
I would actually just be content with an explanation for why Piling On was changed to such deadly effect.

In CRP Ageing was removed, Fouling was nerfed and Piling On was buffed to increase the on-pitch attrition.
markor

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 14:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, but what is/was CRP?
markor

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 14:17 Reply with quote Back to top

And I noticed that there is still fouling.
markor

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2015 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage, again, I don't want it to be an amazing strategy, I want it to be a strategy that wins around 50% of games with passing teams, all things being equal, i.e. passing will give you a 50% chance of winning against a tough team playing a grinding game.
 Jump to: