33 coaches online • Server time: 11:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What is the best Handicap system?
The current LRB Handicap table
39%
 39%  [ 19 ]
The Playtesting Fault's sweetener system - recosted Star Players, apothecary can be a sweetener
31%
 31%  [ 15 ]
Some combination or modification of the above (please specify, provide links if proposed before)
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Something else entirely (please state)
20%
 20%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 48

Colin

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 06:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Following the emergence of the Playtesting Vault hard on the heels of the new rules in DivX, I wanted to hear what people thought of the various rules. Please refrain from harping about how they would ruin your team - that's been done in another thread; keep your replies concise and well reasoned, preferably backed up by hard data/statistics. Ok, on to the poll...

Making games competitive between mismatched teams has been a long term problem, with several solutions introduced, including banning them (as Christer was forced to do in Ranked). How do we give the underdogs a chance, without punishing coaches for developing teams to a high level?
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 06:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Yummy candycaps!

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Sweet Poison

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 06:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I always liked the old Special Play cards and MVP system myself.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 07:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the sweeteners are a good idea, although they need tweaking and enhancement - and this is a case where JJ's directive of shortening the rules militates against coach choice.
Hecropolix

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 08:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Here is my idea for something else entirely: how about when 1 team has higher tr/ts then another absolutly nothing happens and they play normally.
Uber

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the concept of buying stuff with the tr difference. In some leagues they use three different handicap tables, each rolls costing 10, 25 or 50, depending on which table you're using. Obviously, the higher costing table results in more drastic effects. While it's not a bad thing totally a bad idea to reduce some of the randomness, I believe balance is what they should strive for. I personally like rolling the handicap rolls when I'm playing tabletop, it feels like gambling ! Mr. Green

Anyhow, mixing this up with the new idea of freebooting as handicap could result in something pretty interesting.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 10:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm also a huge fan of the good old cards. just made playing much more fun (and random).

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

The CARDS, bring back the CARDS!
Shinan

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the cards. Gotta love 'em 8^) We always play with the cards in our league (When we can find them under that pile of Warhammer Magic Item cards, Necromunda cards, WH40k cards and those other cards that GW used to be so fond of 8^)

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 11:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes the cards and the mvps, i liked thet better then the handicap tabel and this new swetener thing.
Colin

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 19:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the sweetener system has massive potential, but using it just to hire Stars is a bit of a waste. I like the idea of buying small items that incrementally improve team performance eg. Smelling Salts for 10k/20k per bottle - one bottle wakes up a KO'd player at the start of a drive; ingredients for the Master Chef of LRB v3.0; Magic Sponges, some 'Pot Luck' purchases and so on. A handicap table can be another option in addition to these. Imagination is the only limit.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Something else - A tiered handicap table that splits the current 36 handicaps into 3 tables of 12 each.

You then choose which table to roll on based on your TR difference. So the handicap table for TR diff from 10-20 would have the 12 crappiest handicaps and so on.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

play cards!
Fool

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I also liked the third edition handicap rules. Quick story, When i first started BB I joined a league half way through the season. Because of the TEAM BUILDING handicaps i lost every game till the post season. (everyone got in the post season) The next game i lost was for the BB final winner.

The old handicap system (cards/MVP) helped you to build your team quicker. Extra players and Star players do not help build a team they take away SPP's from other players on your team that could use them.

Ranting of a,
Fool
Porksta

Post   Posted: May 13, 2004 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Why don't we use the actual handicap table? What good do rerolls do? I also would like that if the TR difference was large enough, we would get 4 handicaps and you could choose one.
 Jump to: