78 coaches online • Server time: 20:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: May 20, 2004 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Is there a maximum speed which players can attain? My skaven star GR is a one-turner (yes, I know, insert rude comment about wanting to foul him to oblivion here, but he makes an amazing defender moreso than scorer), with ma 10 and sprint, giving him a 3-step gfi. What if next roll he gets doubles--can he select very long legs, and if so, would this give him a mv of 11? Or if he rolls +ma, he keeps to become ma 11? Talk about fast if that's the case! Just curious...
Unxerxes

Post   Posted: May 20, 2004 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose the fastest player you could get would be a mv9 gutter +2 mv +vll +sprint/surefeet which would give him a total movement range of 15 with gfi and 12 without.

Post   Posted: May 20, 2004 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

you can only get a maximum of +2 to any stats, including VLL....so max is 11 + sprint

Post   Posted: May 20, 2004 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

VLL doesnt raise your stat farung...it allows you to take an extra move
farung

Post   Posted: May 20, 2004 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

but it still counts as +ma for the purpose of raising a skill.....

Post   Posted: May 20, 2004 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

AFK_Eagle wrote:
...but he makes an amazing defender moreso than scorer...

Yay! Someone else sees it! Smile
AFK_Eagle wrote:
...What if next roll he gets doubles--can he select very long legs, and if so, would this give him a mv of 11? Or if he rolls +ma, he keeps to become ma 11?

He can indeed get MA 11 with either VLL or 2 MA increases (as seen here amongst other places). The BBRC ruled in an earlier clarification, however that VLL = a stat increase, and therefore 12 MA (with +2 MA and VLL) is not possible, on either FUMBBL or tabletop.

Technically, the skill description of VLL does say that it just allows you to move one additional space rather than adding one to your stat but that's a nitpick which goes against the spirit of the cap and the PTB (Powers That Be) at GW have ruled appropriately in this case. As such, the speed limit is 14 with 2 MA increases (either +MA or VLL) and sprint on a WE Catcher or Gutter Runner.

{ edit: btw, what's the prize for MNA (Maximum Number of Acronyms) in a post? LOL OMFG ROFL, IMO. }

Post   Posted: May 20, 2004 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Technically, the skill description does NOT say that it allows you to move one additional space, it says :
Add +1 to the players Movement, so there should really be little doubt that you can't get the benefit
of 2x +MA and VLL
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: May 20, 2004 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
AFK_Eagle wrote:
...but he makes an amazing defender moreso than scorer...

Yay! Someone else sees it! Smile
{ edit: btw, what's the prize for MNA (Maximum Number of Acronyms) in a post? LOL OMFG ROFL, IMO. }

In all actuality, I've only scored twice with my one-turner since he became so, both times in turn 8 of the match to either tie or retake the lead. He's had dozens of other opportunities, but has instead served as lead blocker for his companions to score and gain their own hid-saving skills. His side-stepping and blodging has caused untold amounts of frustration from opponents, as he's able to get close to the ball-carrier and refuses to be knocked away thereafter. Once I get him shadowing and/or pass block, he's really gonna start some headaches!

But you don't want to get into a competition with me regarding MNA. I'm active-duty USAF at MAFB, ND, USA. Acronyms are a language unto itself up here. Not even we understand what all of them mean, at least the "long" versions thereof at times. It's just enough to know that you RS the CB on the LCPA in the LCEB at the MAF and it'll have this impact upon the SI inside the LCC, at least that's what the VB in the latest AFTO adjusted our TO's to read. Especially if it's taking place while you're RDC'ing to the RS/RV while reading the RCMB with ATOV ON and the EACU blaring behind you, and you just want to get done ASAP so you can go on LV or TDY, perhaps even PCS (though PCA will do in a pinch). Maybe to VAFB or CAS...

(Note: Although every one of the acronyms above are used in common language here--and are by no means an exhaustive list; there's far more to choose from!--they're gathered together in a pretty nonsensical order. Don't ask me to tell you what I just said, I just wanted to illustrate my point.)
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: May 20, 2004 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

AFK_Eagle wrote:
... I'm active-duty USAF at MAFB, ND, USA. Acronyms are a language unto itself up here...

Just don't go AWOL, ok?

Post   Posted: May 21, 2004 - 07:56 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:

Technically, the skill description of VLL does say that it just allows you to move one additional space rather than adding one to your stat but that's a nitpick which goes against the spirit of the cap and the PTB (Powers That Be) at GW have ruled appropriately in this case. As such, the speed limit is 14 with 2 MA increases (either +MA or VLL) and sprint on a WE Catcher or Gutter Runner.

So... a movement increase has a 3/36 chance of happening, and a double has a 6/36 chance in happening.

Which means you've got double the odds to get a better skill (+ma vs. +ma and +1 to intercept.) At least for the Gutter runner.

Actually, I suppose it's only a 5/36 chance, 'cause unless you already have +ma on your GR, double 5s would be better spent on VLL, so it's really 5/36 if you don't have +ma, and 6/36 if you do. I think.

Sheesh, I'm confusing myself now.
tassel

Post   Posted: May 24, 2004 - 05:58 Reply with quote Back to top

AFK_Eagle wrote:
But you don't want to get into a competition with me regarding MNA. I'm active-duty USAF at MAFB, ND, USA. Acronyms are a language unto itself up here. Not even we understand what all of them mean, at least the "long" versions thereof at times. It's just enough to know that you RS the CB on the LCPA in the LCEB at the MAF and it'll have this impact upon the SI inside the LCC, at least that's what the VB in the latest AFTO adjusted our TO's to read. Especially if it's taking place while you're RDC'ing to the RS/RV while reading the RCMB with ATOV ON and the EACU blaring behind you, and you just want to get done ASAP so you can go on LV or TDY, perhaps even PCS (though PCA will do in a pinch). Maybe to VAFB or CAS...

PLZ? ;)
deathgerbil

Post   Posted: May 24, 2004 - 06:38 Reply with quote Back to top

lol. give him shadowing, its a dream of my chaos players to have a gutter runner follow them Smile but in all honesty, i'm not sure how good gutter runners can be when it comes to defending. their str sucks, and their av is kinda low too. yes their annoying if given block/dodge, but with str 2, i usually can get a 3 die on them and apply the boot easily. I know they can get dauntless and horns, but with 2 doubles you could just as easily gotten claw/rsc, a much more devestating combo imho.
Funso

Post   Posted: May 24, 2004 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, you have a 1 turner skaven, and use him on defence? I don't care who you are, that skaven isn't living too long, even if it does have blodge, in a game against some coaches.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: May 24, 2004 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

deathgerbil wrote:
lol. give him shadowing, its a dream of my chaos players to have a gutter runner follow them Smile but in all honesty, i'm not sure how good gutter runners can be when it comes to defending. their str sucks, and their av is kinda low too. yes their annoying if given block/dodge, but with str 2, i usually can get a 3 die on them and apply the boot easily. I know they can get dauntless and horns, but with 2 doubles you could just as easily gotten claw/rsc, a much more devestating combo imho.

Not too devastating when you never get to throw a decent block with 2 ST, though... That's why Dauntless+Horns is so much better for GRs, at least.

Also, even without it they still can provide an enormously mobile assist, phenomenal ball retrieval and a constant scoring threat. Assuming that your opponent is actually playing to score, all these can make your opponent's life miserable. Defense is just a matter of forcing mistakes and capitalizing on them.

Now if your opponent is playing to smack down your team first and then (if ever) deal with the ball, I will readily admit that your GR is in for some hurting and possibly a liability on defense. In most cases, however, they're mighty handy.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2004 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Squiggy wrote:
So... a movement increase has a 3/36 chance of happening, and a double has a 6/36 chance in happening.

For that reason, if you roll a +MA and want a second point of MA, you might be better taking the 'inferior' +MA rather than VLL. That way you can get the second point of movement on either a 10 or doubles.

If your first skill roll is double 5s and you take VLL, then you have to wait for another 10 to get your MA 11. If you take the +MA (and pass up the free +1 to intercept), then you are more likely to roll a chance to get that extra speed (ie: either doubles or a 6, 4... an 8/36 chance rather than a 3/36).

Yeah. I'm confused as well.

Jump to: