47 coaches online • Server time: 17:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wombats

Post   Posted: May 21, 2004 - 06:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Being a Lizardman freak I like to bash a bit, run a bit and would love to pass a lot more...

What I'm looking for is a team with moderate bashy and scoring capabilities but which is challenging to do either really well.

Current ideas include a positional orc team which I'll play with lots of running and passing:

4 BO
3 Blitzers
2 Throwers
2 Gobbos
2 Rerolls
And FF9 if I can wangle it.
Planning to get a second blitzer and maximum two Linemen to avoid overbashing.

The alternative is Dark Elf and work hard for some early Block and Guard.

Humans and High Elves are obvious alternatives, too but I'd like to see how to score without a move 8 player as I don't predict rolling cage formations particularly well since I don't use them much myself...

Can anyone think of another nice hybrid team?

Post   Posted: May 21, 2004 - 06:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Humans - the ultimate hybrid team.

Wait for a few skill rolls and then decide how to play them

Post   Posted: May 21, 2004 - 06:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree; humans are perfect for what you want. Ogres and blitzers for bashing and move 8 catchers plus throwers make a superb combo.

Develop them the direction you prefer.

Post   Posted: May 21, 2004 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Chaos are always a blast. Obviously they can bash, but you can decide just how much they bash. They can be good at ball handling, throwing, etc. It's not hard to make runners, doubles can get you VLL, dodge, stand firm, big hand, catch, etc. Lot's of interesting things. That's why I love chaos so much. They are abit of everything.

But, like crack it's just so hard to not select <b>Claw</b> when I roll doubles. Wink

Post   Posted: May 21, 2004 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Humans do not need to roll doubles to find their way. They are not too expensive, still have very good positional skills (unless you WANT AG4, of course... Cool )
All in all they are really what you're looking for. 4 blitzers Mov7 to stand against slow bashy teams and two catchers and throwers to play showtime! Shocked

IMHO humans rule. Not because they are overpowered or anything... just because you can play them any way you like, and still they can perform.
They can't run like skavens, dodge like elves, or bash like dwarves, but they can stand against all of them. Smile

Post   Posted: May 22, 2004 - 03:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Humans for my money are the only total hybrid team. ST and AG ability and throwers results in a total mixed bag. Even similar based teams like norse lack the variety and generic feel a human team has. I find hybrid teams dull and having played human and found them impossible to gain any advantage with, i think thats the team you seek.
the_grey_ghost

Post   Posted: May 22, 2004 - 03:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually play an Orc team that started with four Gobblins. It works well as long as you are prepared to risk a goblin or two.

But Trolls suck.

Humans are good but the whole 4AG. Probably easier to develop then DELF.

How about skaven. Kick arse throwers. Either the best or second best runners around. And you have a rat ogre with Blockers to make it all fun.

Lizards seem cool but they do need a thrower. I like my lustrian.
Sparticus

Post   Posted: May 22, 2004 - 03:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Delf's mayjor down fall is $$$$..... expeamly expensive, and should you wish to gt the 2 witch elves and 4blitzers u gotta retire linemen as they will pump your TR... thats in my experence
Wombats

Post   Posted: May 31, 2004 - 05:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Humans are a no-no as I'll use the catchers like skinks and the rest of their team have nothing on Orcs except maybe a movement point.

Planning on doing an Orc team with no Linemen - BOs, Blitzers, Throwers, some Goblins, make the Blitzers and Gobbos blodgers and see if anyone can smack them down.

Seriously thinking of Dark Elves as my High Elves are doing so well...but their roster is made in such a way that you cannot start with positional players - Really doesn't seem worth all that development (620K of positional players to buy from match winnings!?!?!?!?!?!) even with a bashy elf team at the end of the tunnel. Dropping Blitzers to 90K or Witch Elves to 100K would make all the difference and put them on par with other elf teams.

Thanks for the advice, people.

Post   Posted: May 31, 2004 - 09:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Planning on doing an Orc team with no Linemen - BOs, Blitzers, Throwers, some Goblins, make the Blitzers and Gobbos blodgers and see if anyone can smack them down.

You do know that both blitzers and goblins need a double to be block, dodgers right?
origami

Post   Posted: May 31, 2004 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Wombats wrote:
Seriously thinking of Dark Elves as my High Elves are doing so well...but their roster is made in such a way that you cannot start with positional players - Really doesn't seem worth all that development (620K of positional players to buy from match winnings!?!?!?!?!?!) even with a bashy elf team at the end of the tunnel. Dropping Blitzers to 90K or Witch Elves to 100K would make all the difference and put them on par with other elf teams.

Well, you can start with a single blitzer...still leaving you with 520k of positional players to purchase, assuming that none of them die along the way. It's possible, but it does take a while. However, you can end up with a very nice team at the end of things. The four blitzers are a lot of fun.
Wombats

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2004 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Hecropolix"]
Quote:
You do know that both blitzers and goblins need a double to be block, dodgers right?

Hences them being my main scorers - Three skills each half of them will have rolled a double and the remaining half can do what Goblins and Orc Blitzers like to do.

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2004 - 01:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Humans for my money are the only total hybrid team. ST and AG ability and throwers results in a total mixed bag. Even similar based teams like norse lack the variety and generic feel a human team has. I find hybrid teams dull and having played human and found them impossible to gain any advantage with, i think thats the team you seek.

The secret with humans is to play to you opponents weakness. You can be pretty sure that you are either better at bashing or scoring then the other team. Personally I really love hybrid teams and my two favourite teams are human and DE. My dark elves tend to be REALLY bashy. One of their greatest moments was when they obliterated a chaos team with +40 TR. =)
You're bound to roll a few doubles with DE and blodge/guard/AG4/AV8 is damn good! They will never pack the same punch as humans though.

I think you're missing that a hybrid team needs speed else it isn't a hybrid team. You will never develop a good passing game with orcs. Move 6 just isn't enough. Maybe you should try necromantic if you don't like the "skinkyness" of human catchers? A double on a wight give you a passer and both ghouls and wolfs are natural catchers. (I recommend using the ghouls for that though, the wolfs get enough attention as it is).
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2004 - 04:45 Reply with quote Back to top

origami wrote:
Wombats wrote:

Well, you can start with a single blitzer...still leaving you with 520k of positional players to purchase, assuming that none of them die along the way. It's possible, but it does take a while. However, you can end up with a very nice team at the end of things. The four blitzers are a lot of fun.

Cannot start with positional players? I started my dark elves as:

2 Blitzers
1 Thrower
8 Linemen
9 FF
1 RR
10K left over for apoth after first match

They worked out great! You just have to buy rerolls fast and early...
SnakeEyes

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2004 - 05:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I find Skaven teams pretty all round.

They have a big guy, the storm vermin are good bashers, gutter runners are the best scorers in the game.

You have strength, agility, big guys, access to physical abilities.

Very good combo team imo, but they will suffer against powerful basher teams due to low armour. Best not to play such teams Smile
 Jump to: