20 coaches online • Server time: 06:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 09:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi gang.

As ever, the morning after the beginning of an Online NAF tournament, my first job is to field PMs and forum posts relating to any issues. Invariably, I get a bunch of correspondence reading something along the lines of 'What gives? Why don't I have a game scheduled?', and it turns out coaches have fallen foul of the application system (5 this time, so far).

I also field a lot of PMs in the week before the tournaments checking coaches have applied correctly. I'm guessing these issues aren't unique to online NAF tournaments, and other tournament organisers have them too?

Would it be possible to get a site PM automatically generated when a team applies to a group / tournament? Maybe two?

'Team XYX has applied to group XYZ'

'Congratulations! Team XYZ has been accepted to group XYZ!'

For the old FUMBBL hands, weathered by 400 tournament applications, this may seem like PM box spam. But I really think it would help a lot of newer / lapsed coaches feel more secure as they go through the application process. I've no idea if it's an easy or difficult idea to execute technically, which I guess may torpedo it!

I know you could argue that on application, the group appears on your Overview, and on acceptance, you can see yourself in the group. That's all true, but not everyone knows that or checks.

Thanks!
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 09:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a random idea... but how about always delaying the start of the tournament by a day? Or rather have the applications end a day early?

Then send out a PM to all participants in the group that application time has ended. And anyone who shows up to complain on the day between tournament start and application end still gets added as a courtesy.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

My guess would be that what would actually happen there is that people would not realise they're not in the tournament until the tournament starts regardless, whether that's zero hours from applications ending or 24. I have tried to be as spammy as possible about this tournament, answer PMs, alert captains of pitfalls, bump blogs and forums, and still we have coaches fall though the net. I'm sure we still would with a PM system too, but it's at least some feedback that coaches would become accustomed to getting, and a light may go on if they didn't get it.

You could argue that of your system too, but I think on the spot site feedback is better than coaches having to be online the day of a tournament and remembering to check to see if I've written to them / the forum?
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 11:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Probably the most effective thing would be instant feedback, like a pop-up or page opening that either says "your team XXX has been applied to the tournament YYY" or "error: could not apply your team XXX to the tournament YYY". Or do we already have something like that? I've applied to a fair number of tournaments myself but I really couldn't say...
Strider84

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm really not a fan of the "proccess replaced the need for anyone to think" mentality.

Give some responsibility to the people. Its all very clearly stated in your blogs and posts...
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2016 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I appreciate that viewpoint.

See me as an old hippy. I simply want to include everyone in the fun that wants to be included. Smile
 Jump to: