18 coaches online • Server time: 04:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ArthurWynne

Post   Posted: May 10, 2016 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

My vampire Box team, the San Francisco Night Owls need help -they have some really nice players, plenty of rerolls and a solid bank account, but all the same, they can't seem to win a game! (6 games and counting since the last win).

While I won't exactly claim to be a brilliant coach, the rest of my teams have all performed significantly better, so clearly I need some advice when it comes to vampires, specifically.

I am considering buying a fourth Vampire, but I suspect part of my problem is that the TV has ballooned with early stats, so I'm facing teams I don't have enough skills to compete with. Maybe I should fire and replace my AV busted Block/Guard thrall instead?

And of course, it is a poor workman who blames his tools -most of the scope for improvement is probably on me as a coach. How do vampires play offense? Between speed 6 and Blood Lust, they can't really elfball, and with the AV 7 thralls and (again) Blood Lust they don't want to stall and prolong drives. I feel like they get bogged down very often, unless everything goes right. Most often, I push through a score around turn 3-5 of my own drive, and lose 2-1 as attrition takes its toll.
Nextflux

Post   Posted: May 10, 2016 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you are doing ok, hard to play vampires especially low TV.
keep the 13 players, maybe put some pro on vamps soon, it might get easier.
sure you could cut the block/guard now for some short term boost, he is useful, but maybe more at higher TV.
licker

Post   Posted: May 10, 2016 - 21:01 Reply with quote Back to top

-av is usually automatic retirement, I don't think a block/guard thrall would be an exception to that rule of thumb.

I'd also add a 4th vampire just for the extra lifting you probably need to do when one or more of the vamps has issues.

I'd be tempted to just score quickly with vamps though, not worry too much about grinds or stalling. Vamps are so good defensively with hynogaze and st4 ag4 that you should probably work on playing defense.

Of course when you can stall you should, but I wouldn't make it a priority. That's kind of general advice though, I see a lot of coaches who think that if they score before turn 8 they have done something wrong, but often it's better to take the certain score early and play defense for the 1-0, than to wind up in a situation where you are going to wind up 0-0 (or against elfs often 0-1).
ArthurWynne

Post   Posted: May 10, 2016 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the advice, Licker! If I replace the thrall with a vampire that's just another 20 TV.

Which brings me to - is 12 players a sensible amount? In a league I would get more but Box matchmaking really punishes you for having a bench I've found.
Mossbeard

Post   Posted: May 10, 2016 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Over-skilled thralls and under-skilled Vamps is your biggest issue in my opinion.

Dump the av6 thrall immediately, he is a huge target and not as useful as two rookie thralls.

Buy a fourth Vamp and maybe another thrall, try to get Spps on Vamps not thralls.

You want Vamps with as many skills as possible and like 2-3 skills on thralls ideally.

Spectate really good vampire coaches and see what they are doing right or spectate not so good vampire coaches and see where they make their mistakes.
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: May 10, 2016 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

If you intend to keep thralls, Wrestle and Fend are 2 of the best skills they can get. Dodge is sometimes better than guard (and works better with Wrestle and Fend), because your gaze is often your best bet at abolishing TZs

A Kicker/DP thrall is always worth keeping around

+Ag thralls open up a real passing threat (If you're lucky enough to get one), which allows you to be more liberal with your vamps on offense.

Speaking of the vamps, you want at least 4 on the roster, one built to kill (Block, Tackle, MB, PO) and 3 others with at least block and dodge

Pro: Great skill on a vampire, but your mileage may vary.

Your Roster:
3 really nice vamps so far, I'd turn the +ST into your killer/blitzer
+MA vamp needs Tackle and Sure Hands. He should be your primary ball handler, and defensive ball retriever. I'd almost consider strip ball on him at legend to make him a 2-way player
As for the one with no stats, I'd consider Pro for him next.
Dump the Block Guard -AV
I'd have taken +AV on the Thrall with +MA. Frankly, AV8 lets him do his job better. A Thrall's job it to be on the field for the vamps to bite.
ADD A 4TH VAMP ASAP
ArthurWynne

Post   Posted: May 11, 2016 - 01:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you, Antithesisoftime.

The reason I took +MA on that Thrall is that at the time, it was my only +MA -I tend to take it when it would make the player the fastest on my team. In hindsight I agree it wasn't the best long-term choice.
 Jump to: