50 coaches online • Server time: 19:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MonkeyMan576

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2016 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't see it a whole lot, and I think it can be useful, especially on an AG5 player(especially combined with catch). An interception can be a game changer in a close game, and sometimes coaches forget to check for the skill since it is underused.
tmoila

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2016 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

1) It can be played around easily
2) Passing is last resort tactic in most cases
3) Requires too many skills to combine with to be useful
3b) And those combined skills could be used on much more useful skills to win more

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2016 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Even if it can be played around forcing someone to play around it can be a tactical advantage
Useful on elf teams that play against other elves often
It's not recommended by itself.
Possibly.
Medon

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2016 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

It's nice because it is so rare and no one expects it. Maybe best on a star player like eldril, but not as core skill on a normal player.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2016 - 19:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I had an AG5 pass-blocker on my High Elf team (he's dead now), and I never got the chance to use the skill once, even against other elf teams. I think it could be useful as a surprise weapon on a defensive player with Diving Tackle/Shadowing/Tentacles, so they can cover multiple receivers. Thing is, it's such a niche skill and passing isn't a plan A anyway, even for the agility teams.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2016 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

It is underused, althourgh extremely marginally underused. If you want to stop 1turning, then pass block could be a piece that would help you significantly. This is a surefire, although marginal use, hence the statement that the underusing is extremely marginal.

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2016 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

About 20 years ago I played in a local Games Workshop tournament with a human team. The shop manager decided he wanted to play my human team with his wood elves and my +AG pass block catcher made 3 interceptions in a 5-1 win. So it can work but is reliant on your opponent passing when he shouldn't. In over 1250 games on Fumbbl I have never had a successful pass block interception for or against.
MonkeyMan576

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2016 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I've had pass block be successfull probably dozens of times.
tmoila

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2016 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Good for you and other [R]anked peasants. Fumbbl Cup will be much more varied with all the pass blocking happening there and surely all the [B]ox teams are terrified about their prospects of winning against such mighty pass blockers.

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2016 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

lol. I'm not saying its the best skill in the game, just underused.
NickNutria

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2016 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I've had a thrall on a vampire team that used it three times in a match vs. woodies and did three interceptions, so yes it can be very useful.
Best skills for pass block besides high ag are leap, very long legs and catch. That's why elf catchers and slann players are probably best for the job.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2016 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Thing is, people always say it can easily be played around and in general, it's true; however, the situation where I can see it being most useful is in last-ditch defending, where your opponent has to try a pass to score a TD to win/equalize. Sometimes passing is your only option, for example if you only have two turns to score.

However, again that is a very specific situation and most other skill choices will be useful more frequently.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2016 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

If you were to use it side step and diving tackle would be a more useful combo than catch I think.

But, yeah, its far too easy to avoid and most teams dont pass anyway.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2016 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

If you are playing against new(ish) coaches it could be a good skillup option for a laugh. Maybe if you have a really bloated team with various skilled linos it could be an interesting option for a player. If it could be used for handoffs and you could then put an extra tackle zone on the catcher it would be of more use.
But combined with diving tackle or tentacles you could occasionally use pass block to stop the passer moving, particularly if your opponent forgets about it.

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2016 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

As others have pointed out, it's hard say it's underused, because there are always better options for a skill selection. It can be a bit of fun though and in that way maybe it's a shame we don't see more of it.

One way it might see a bit more action would be if, like some other lesser skills, it came bundled with positionals for a given team with little extra cost. Here I am thinking of High Elf throwers with Safe Throw, Dark Elf runners with Dump-Off, and Elf catcher with Nerves of Steel. These skills can be handy, but for many coaches (not me, but I lose a lot and am far from an optimum coach) them seldom seem like a good pick compared with alternatives on offer.

Maybe Pass Block could be a starting skill for some elven variant from Secret League? Sea Elves perhaps with some fluff explaining that since they are slower than other elfs and sea warfare is fought at range they have developed sophisticated anti-ballistic/Pass-Block tactics?
 Jump to: