55 coaches online • Server time: 19:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2016 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

plasmoid wrote:

It was also stated that AV8 was considered and discarded, because the human catcher miniature had already been created, and looked too lightly armored for AV8.

<Facepalm> Rolling Eyes
Stats based on miniatures instead of miniatures based on stats, he's really a great game designer.
mikere

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2016 - 07:51 Reply with quote Back to top

The unboxing has me stoked. Some of my local friends are more likely to play bloodbowl if we play tabletop, some of them are extremely technophobic. I wonder what the boxed set will cost as well as additional teams of miniatures.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2016 - 09:14 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
plasmoid wrote:

It was also stated that AV8 was considered and discarded, because the human catcher miniature had already been created, and looked too lightly armored for AV8.

<Facepalm> Rolling Eyes
Stats based on miniatures instead of miniatures based on stats, he's really a great game designer.

I am sure you can find 1000 better argument to toast them. I dont see a big issue with it. People, like customers, especially the ones posting on the internet are VERY impatient, which means companies have to do as much work paralel as possible. This means that all workflow should have some effect on the others. So it makes sense that art influence mechanics.

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2016 - 10:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Making rules based on miniatures has also been a consistent feature of how GW works for 30+ years. And nowadays it's even less surprising because they claim to be a miniature company, not a game company (despite their name)...

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2016 - 12:33 Reply with quote Back to top

mikere wrote:
The unboxing has me stoked. Some of my local friends are more likely to play bloodbowl if we play tabletop, some of them are extremely technophobic. I wonder what the boxed set will cost as well as additional teams of miniatures.

You do realize there have been plenty of (cheaper) options to play tabletop blood bowl for ages, right?

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2016 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I hope the rulebook will be available in hardback at least...
Traul

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2016 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I am just a bit worried by the business model: with team descriptions in supplements, it sounds a lot like they are trying to sell army books for Blood Bowl.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2016 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

the_Sage wrote:
mikere wrote:

You do realize there have been plenty of (cheaper) options to play tabletop blood bowl for ages, right?

I think an advertised GW re-release is a totally different prospect to a new or returning coach than searching the Internet for existing generic fantasy football miniatures or pitches of variable quality; buying a bit from here, a bit from there. Some of that cheap stuff is cheap for a reason, and much of it is a bit tricky to come across if you only have a passing interest in BB thanks to being a GW nerd or having a friend that plays. This is going to be known kit of known quality heavily pitched right at the friends of this poster. I'm a long standing BB nerd and I mighty buy little or none of it, but that's OK, it's almost not pitched at me.
Jedi_Knight_Amoeba

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2016 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

We had large Tabletop leagues in the past and most of this was BECAUSE of the main box sets. The bigger nerds like me would purchase all kinds of different teams and sometimes multiple box sets because you could find them really cheap on ebay ($20-25) so I would let others use the Orcs and human teams I had. I think I have 4 complete Human teams and 3 Orc teams. I also own 4 BB pitches but that was because I ran BB at a convention. Having BB boxed like this only increases the amount of players and exposure to make the game better. Right now I am happy GW is not messing with the rules but we will see how long that lasts before they come out with a trump card in a new release... Unfortunately their business model has always been to support what is popular and make the rules favor them a little bit.

I think having a ma 8 catcher with av8 would have been a mistake anyway.
Jedi_Knight_Amoeba

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2016 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Furthermore I am very optimistic about this release helping make BB more popular again! Smile I will be preordering a boxset as soon as I am able...
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2016 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, quite. A new, focussed boxed set can only help bring in new and lapsed coaches.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2016 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Let's welcome any new arrivals to Fumbbl with cherry picking in Ranked and cpomb spam in Box.

/sarcasm
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2016 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
MattDakka wrote:
plasmoid wrote:

<Facepalm> Rolling Eyes

I am sure you can find 1000 better argument to toast them. I dont see a big issue with it. People, like customers, especially the ones posting on the internet are VERY impatient, which means companies have to do as much work paralel as possible. This means that all workflow should have some effect on the others. So it makes sense that art influence mechanics.

I'll go with Matt on that one.

A 'reasonable' price would be good too.

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2016 - 17:21 Reply with quote Back to top

the_Sage wrote:

Do you mean ordering from Spain at 80 euros a team then shipping to Canada? I'm suspecting these plastic minis might undercut those as well as be supporting the original content owners, and available at GW shops locally. It will certainly be interesting to see what price point these come out at. Fortunately, I'm at an age where I have a fair bit of disposable income, but I'll have to wait till I retire (2-4 years) until I have time to paint more than a couple of teams.
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2016 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
Let's welcome any new arrivals to Fumbbl with cherry picking in Ranked and cpomb spam in Box.

/sarcasm

Who are you to challenge tradition! Only in Blood Bowl does it make sense that new coaches are welcomed with a gang-fouling Razz It's in the rules...somewhere, perhaps an addendum or something.
 Jump to: